Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
US$443
Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$353
US$277
Elk + Avenue Hotel(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$342
US$270
US$526
US$363
Fairmont.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$440/night.

US$219
  • Restaurant
US$291
TripAdvisor
1,072 results
All reviewswater slidesindoor playgroundfull kitchenplay zoneframe chaletliquor storemurphy bedbedroom condotunnel mountainbit datedhot tubwood burningdvd playerfree busdowntown banffflat screenminute drive
Reviewed April 25, 2018

My wife and I have taken our two young children for weekend stays a number of times. They love the rustic old chalets (which are getting a bit long in the tooth but are kept clean and well maintained), especially when we have a fire in the wood-burning fireplace. It's an easy drive from Calgary and given that it's up Tunnel Mountain it's not right in the thick of the Banff main-street commercialism. That said it's a 3 minute drive to main street from Douglas Fir and there's also transit options to get you from the hotel to town.

It's a great place to take young kids with a large, multi-level indoor play area, indoor waterslides, and indoor pool and large, outdoor hot tub.

As the chalets especially are aging I'm only giving 4 stars overall as I think the price is about 15-20% too high for the condition of the facilities.

Room Tip: The 2 and 3 bedroom chalets are literally right back in the trees.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2018

In my opinion the Douglas Fir discriminates against pet owners...at the very least misleads them. We booked this resort thinking it would be a great location for my parents, boyfriend and our small dog to spend Easter. Online the resort advertises being pet friendly and that your pet room comes with perks (see photos). Upon check in we were given a brochure about the resort - inside it also listed all the pet perks. The pet rooms are advertised to include food and water dishes, poop bags, treats, and a trail map. This is blatant false advertising. We got to our room - there was no food or water dishes, no treats, no poop bags and no trail maps, NONE of the pet goodies. I phoned the front desk to ask about this and they said "oh we quit doing that". I asked why it was still advertised and he has no response. As a pet owner, extra perks like that really make a difference. Thinking I wouldn't need food or water dishes I didn't pack any, nor did I make sure I had an extra roll of poop bags. On some outdoor garbage bags poop bags were available but it isn't as convenient as we thought.
Pet rooms have a sign on the front door. Pet rooms are also outdated. Curtains are stained. The old blue couch was in shambles. This is disappointing because the non-pet rooms had nice new grey furniture (visible from the windows). As a pet owner, paying a pet fee, why should I have to stay in an old crummy room?
As other reviewers stated, the walls in the chalets/cabins are paper thin. We could hear the dog next to us barking non stop the entire time he was left unattended. When the people next to us got in you could hear word for word what was being said - not because they were loud, but because the walls may as well have been curtains. The bed was old and uncomfortable, I am thankful I brought my own pillow. The beds are made with small sheets NOT FITTED so halfway through the night you are in a tangled mess. One night I accidentally slept on the mattress cover. I am sure these pet rooms have seen better days.
The pros are that the waterpark is impressive. There are two waterslides, two pool areas, multiple hot tubs. The man who works the pool area at night was very friendly, two thumbs up to him. The bus stop is across the street which was convenient.
In closing, if you don't have pets, this might be an ok place to stay but keep in mind the walls are super thin.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights . We took the 2 bedrooms chalets. Although the interior need serious refurbishment but it meet our purpose of stay. The kitchen is equipped with stove ad microwaves oven as well as utensils and cutleries . They also provide us with milk, juice, cereal and bread which is very nice.
The loft has 2 queen size bed and a toilet. Its nice if it with shower inside. The surrounding is quaint and if the weather is nice we can picnic at the ground.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2018

Our family of 5 checked in on a Friday at 4pm.We had a ski day planned the next day and decided to go to bed early.The neighbor's checked in very late, was midnight. It sounded like a herd of buffalo stampeding next to us. The next night the neighbors were very loud, the kids running in the chalet next to us again sounded like a herd of buffalo! It kept the baby up both nights which meant no relaxation for us. We were very disappointed in our stay. Room service made the beds but did not clean up the dishes in the sink or vacuum. It was far to expensive for what you get at the Douglas Fir Chalets.. We will never stay there again.

4  Thank jodyfunk
Reviewed March 19, 2018

This place was just right for our young family for a weekend in Banff for this time of year. We had a three bedroom suite to accomodate six adults and four children. The waterslides and kidzone climbing area were perfect four us, ages 2 - 73! The rooms were adequate, spacious, but dated, though we had 4 tv's between us and a remarkably good wifi connection. Free bus transportation into Banff was a bonus as was underground parking for two of our three vehicles.

1  Thank tojo147