“Good value ”
Review of Inns Of Banff

Inns Of Banff
Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

This place was nothing fancy, but the value is great. The kids loved the pool. Things were clean. Staff was great. It's a short drive or 15m walk to downtown Banff. The only downside was parking shortage at arrival, which was late evening, but by 8am the ski crowd was mostly gone so it was no issue. Great simple budget place to crash enroute or for skiing. We'd definitely consider staying there again. And Banff is always a great stopover!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave N

Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

We got a really good deal for a room here, and it can be really hard to get good deals in Banff. The room was really clean, although it was a little noisy. We were in a room at the end of the hallway next t a door that opened and closed all night the outside of the hotel definitely needs updated. The outdoor hot tub was closed during our visit. .. perhaps they're updating it! All in all, I'd stay again if I just needed to get a clean, cheap room somewhere.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed 1 December 2016 via mobile

I remember the Inns of Banff from 20 years ago and it was a great place although a little out of the way from the core. Staff were most attentive and efficient especially Kristian and Zoe but ... this whole place needs a LOT of work. I didn't take pics of the mould in the bathroom or the laminate stains on the counter or the 40 year old ceiling panels that look stained from smoke 30 years ago. As well unless you know your neighbours in the adjacent room it is unsafe to have the sliding door open since anyone can jump across and enter. Sad and getting run down fast.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank asccn
Reviewed 18 November 2016

We picked up a travel guide book and used that to help choose a hotel, so booked and pre-paid. What a mistake. We arrived at a hotel that looked like the outside had not been worked on for a while, and we ended up in a unit way at the back, up a giant hill. Just stepping into the entry door to the building our unit was on gave us some idea of what we were going to find in the room. Dirty, grimy carpet and an elevator that was a bit frightening to step into, and don't think it had seen a cleaner for quite some time. And when we got to the room, it was only marginally better than what we had seen so far. The first thing I did was check the sheets on the bed, a bit afraid of what I would find, but they were clean.
This was summer in the Rockies, so we did not want to walk away from this hotel and have no where else to stay. WOULD NEVER BOOK HERE AGAIN.
The breakfast the next morning was sad to say the least. Greasy and sort of cooked sausage and bacon, dried up scrambled eggs, and little else. Poor poor attempt at cuisine.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marion B
Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

Stayed over the long weekend. Not bad for value. Couple things could be improved.

#1 there was no notice of the outdoor hot pool being shut down which is why we booked there so that was disappointing
#2 there is no AC or temperature control in the room so it was quite warm to sleep in
#3 shower not the greatest
#4 toilet was broken the first night but got fixed so minor.

Great for young people budget wise, staff very friendly and helpful, especially at the bar downstairs. Remembered our orders from the evening before. Was awesome to get bus passes to get around banff also. Beds are incredibly comfortable to sleep on! Comes with a mini fridge too which is nice. We stored milk in there for tea in the morning.

Overall decent stay, would definitely recommend if on sale but would prefer other hotels in the future just to get a little more amenities.

1  Thank beepilkington
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

It's jaw dropping the garbage that continues to be listed in Banff, with Inns of Banff being an excellent example. Which is a shame, because I had stayed at the hotel in the main building a few years back and it was basic, but pleasant enough.

This time we were put up in one of the 2 double bed rooms in the Swiss Village building, which looks like it was built in the late 70s or 80s and hasn't seen as much as a can of paint, since. The mold in the bathroom was kind of the cherry on top. Sure, I could have changed rooms, but if that's where the bar is set in one unit, I guessed I wouldn't do much better in another.

Similar applies for the facilities: the pool hasn't seen a reno since it was built, nor has the lobby.

Luckily I was here on a weekend special rate, but if I was here at a summer rate (guessing $200+) I definitely would have been gone, especially since they don't have AC in the units.

I like to at least mention a few positives, so here we go. The wifi was OK (which these days is a positive), the free Roam bus passes are a nice touch and the staff were helpful.

That about does it... avoid!

3  Thank GuyFromCalgary
Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

We booked at the Inns of Banff because other family members had booked there for the same event. I wish I had read the reviews before booking.

Our room was a 'suite' with a king size bed for an astronomical rate for the few hours we were there.

We were able to check in before 4:00 which gave us time to relax after a 3 hour drive. While sitting in the 'living' area, I noticed hair on the carpet (in a no-pet room I might add) at first I thought the maid hadn't vacuumed under the coffee table but upon further inspection, the whole carpet was covered in what appeared to be dog hair which was obvious to me that the room had not been vacuumed at all. Then began a thorough inspection of the whole room.

We found:

Ashes, burnt rolling papers and dirt in the track of the sliding door...ALOT of dirt.
Water stains running down the bathroom walls
Condom wrapper and about 5 years of dust behind the night stand.
We had to park across the street in a bar parking lot.

They did offer 20% off our bill but when we got on the road, I noticed they had only discounted 10% (my fault for not looking at it while there)

This hotel is run down and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Best advice is to check reviews before booking! Also check their reviews on their Facebook page, not good!

3  Thank Joyt12016