“Great place for big party people-not good if you like to sleep” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

Mount Royal Hotel
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Grapevine, Texas
“Great place for big party people-not good if you like to sleep”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Great location! This is about the only positive thing I can say. We stayed four nights (family of three with a 12 year old). The first night after I finally got to sleep with a pillow over my head I was woken up again at 3am by drunks in the hall being loud, running from room to room, and slamming doors. I never got back to sleep. It was so noisy inside, and outside was just as bad. We were on the second floor room 256 and people would leave the bars (one was right under us) to smoke and would contine the party on the sidewalk. You get the idea.

The rooms were small but comfortable. The bathroom had peeling wall paper, but plenty of clean towels. I would not drink out of the coffee cups or water glasses in the room. It looks like they were wiped out with dirty wash clothes. I wouldn't even use the coffee maker.

We were there to ski, so I would get up early in the morning and walk a few doors down to McDonalds to get coffee. There were usually plenty of beer cans and 1/2 empty glasses left on the hallway and on tables as well as along the sidewalk. I felt sorry for the cleaning staff. I could only imagine how some of the rooms were trashed.

Our last night there we got new people next door. They were already loud at 5pm after we got back from skiing. The front desk told me I could call security after 11pm (when they start work). I finally knocked on their door at 10pm and asked them to quite down so we could go to sleep. They were quiet after that.

Parking is limited so you may have to park on the street.

I saw two young men carrying in two cases of beer one evening. I prayed they weren't on our wing.

If you are looking for a great party spot this would be a fun place to stay. If you want to sleep, go somehwere else.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lynn L
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I am very sorry to see that your stay did not meet your expectations. We always try to keep all of our guests as comfortable as possible, this is our core focus. As a whole, Banff tends to get a bit busier during a long week-end. We do have security who patrol the hallways during the night, they always knock on doors of “loud” rooms and ask them to keep it down. Unfortunately we cannot control the noise coming from outside the building.

Once again, we do apologize and we thank-you for your comments, we do take them to heart.

Hotel management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Wayne, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Booked a summer stay here for my partner's brithday vacation. I am still annoyed that i didn't choose the alternative - which was only $15 more. The Mount Royal is in a good location. However, that's where the positives for this hotel end for me. Upon check-in I explained that it was a special brithday trip and any consideration for our room assignment would be appreciated. The clerk smiled and handed me the key. When we got to the room, I saw we had a wonderful view.....of the HVAC equipment. I wondered if she had changed the assignment just to punish me for my request. I'm laughing now but I was so disappointed at the time. The photos show this hotel as having been updated but the truth is they ended up with mis-matched furniture styles and decor. Oh and I remember being mildly amused by all the mis-matched light fixtures.
I was not amused by the bathroom, which was one of the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel. There was ZERO vanity space and it was clear the bathroom hadn't been updated in +/-15 years. I asked at the front desk if all the bathrooms were like that and I was told they are.
The layout of the room was bizarre as you could not watch TV from the bed because of the furniture placement.
I have just remembered that we appreciated the fridge in the room.
If you're booking this hotel, make sure you understand that there is a reason their price-point is lower than a lot of hotels in Banff.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there is such a thing as a good room at this hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David B
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012

I was very sorry to see that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We always try to give complementary upgrade for special occasion as often as possible. Unfortunately it is not always feasible, those rooms may have been sold already or may be occupied. As for the décor of the rooms, we are currently in the process of renovating them. We actually have started today. They will look completely different by the end of this process.

Once again, thank-you for comments, we do take them to heart.

Hotel management.

Travellers are raving about these Banff hotels

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Excellent location, Walking distance to any place in Banff, Shuttle for the ski hill picks you up at the doors, No pool but a great hot tub. The interior is rustic and classy! Great pricing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Billy e
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was very happy to read that you’ve enjoyed yourself while you were at the hotel. The ski bus pick-up location is for sure very convenient, literally seconds away from our back door. I was also pleased to see that you had a nice soak in our Jacuzzi tub. Nothing better than that after a hard day up on the hill.

Once again, thank-you for your comments.

Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Beautifully appointed rooms, right in the middle of town, great location, would not hesitate to recommend!! Had read one review about bad parking but they give you a pass and I think they have acquired more spots than they used to have.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ArdrossanAlberta

I was pleased to see that you had such a good experience while you were with us. You are not the first person who comment on the fantastic location of the hotel. It is very practical indeed, seconds away from all the shops and restaurants.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you again.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is one of the cheaper hotels in Banff, so when me and my boyfriend stayed here family day long weekend we weren't expecting much.

Some of the negatives:
- beds are horrible! They are so bowed in the centre that we were constantly rolling in to each other.
- bathroom counter was so close to the toilet you had to weasel your legs under it when trying to sit down on the toilet... Although my boyfriend enjoyed the fact he could rest his head on the counter while taking a crap! Hahah
- smell: our room had a weird smell, that I best described as ritz crackers...not sure what it was...?
- noise: walls are paper thin so you hear everything
- Paddock pub: don't even waste your time when there are so many great dining options in Banff
- parking: not enough for all the hotel guests
- telephone charges: you have to pay for even local calls!!! INSANE!!

Positives
- location. Can't beat the downtown convenience
- price: decent for Banff accomodations.
- Tv: nice little flat screen

The fire alarms went off at 3 am during our stay and the way the front desk staff handled the situation was unacceptable. She argued with at least 2 patrons that I saw, declining their requests for late checkout due to the interrupted sleep. Once the alarms were cleared, there was no direction from the staff that we were able to return to our rooms.

Despite the ideal location, I will not be returning to this hotel based on the beds alone.

Room Tip: 348. Nice street view. Horrible beds
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlbertaRN
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. I was surprise to read that you did not find our beds comfortable. We have recently changed all of our beds throughout the hotel. I will personally take a look at it. In regards to the fire alarm, it is unfortunate when this sort of thing happens, especially in the middle of the night. By law, there are certain steps that we must take before we give the all clear. Those steps were followed to letter. We do this to ensure that all of our guests are safe.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback.

Geelong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Great location, bus from airport drops off and picks up here. Also bus to ski resorts pick up and drop off as well. Rooms were clean. Very comfortable beds. Free wifi, however, did not work that great. There was a couple of washing machines and dryers which was handy. Good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Sbev7
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

You are not the first guest who make comments on the great location of our hotel, shops and restaurants seconds away from the hotel and let’s not forget the ski bus pick-up location right in the back of our hotel. You will be happy to know that very shortly, we are changing our internet wireless system. It will be much faster and more reliable.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Just returned from 3 nights in this hotel, centrally located in Banff, which isn't a ski in ski out resort, you need to drive(or bus) to Sunshine(15mins) or Lake Louise(45 mins). Buses collect behind hotel, hotel has on site bars and restaurant, rooms are pretty standard, can't expect luxury due to hammering by skis/boards etc...I had front street facing room, luckily as these were brighter than other rooms and offered great views of the phenomenal scenery in the area. Banff is not a huge town but has shops, restaurants and bars within minutes from the hotel...
Good for skiing at Sunshine but if you want to spend more time in Lake Louise, I would stay in the town of Lake Louise to save the 45 min travel..Plus my initial impression was hampered by a short a sweet, abrupt receptionist which you don't really need after traveling for many hours to get there...

Room Tip: Get street facing, 3rd floor otherwise ay be dark or not great views, need code for Internet which d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrWiz1
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was happy to read that you had a nice stay while you were with us. Our location is indeed ideal for skiers. The bus stop is right behind our hotel which makes it very convenient. I was concern about your comments regarding your initial reception at the hotel. We pride ourselves in providing outstanding customer service. I will personally follow this up.

Once again, thank-you for staying with us and we sincerely hope to see you again.