“Couldn't ask for better!”
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

Mount Royal Hotel
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We arrived March 17th only to find our reservation cancelled. Front desk informed us that our reservation was cancelled, and they were full, but, put us in a suite for same rate! It was beautiful! Couldn't ask for better service or better room! Absolutely wonderful! Would definately recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Banff! It's on the same street as the candy store (yum), we went across the street to The Keg for dinner, which was very good, you can park and walk to your heart's content throughout town. Perfect place to stay!

Room Tip: Great room, great value, good service. Even though over a pub, very, very quiet! Room faced front...
1  Thank MrsGEdmonton_AB
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I’m not sure what happened with your reservation but I was happy to read that my front-desk staff took very good care of you. We do spend quite a bit of time training our staff to better serve our guests. I’m glad to see that you went to the candy store, it is an institution in Banff. Next time you visit us, make sure to try Tony Romas located inside the hotel and their famous ribs.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback, we do take them to heart.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is an older hotel with character. We stayed in a standard room which was small but comfortable. The location is fantastic, right in the middle of Banff walking distance to everything with an easy in easy out convenient parking lot. Area bus stop is right across the street for comfortable reliable transportation in the metro area if needed. Pub in the basement has good entertainment and is a friendly atmosphere.. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BoinLexington

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was very please to read that you had such a good experience while you were staying with us. I will pass on your nice comments to our staff. Location, location, location, I couldn’t agree with you more, seconds away from all that Banff has to offer. You will be pleased to know that we are in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms. They will look more modern and feel more comfortable.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel is in a great location. We stayed in the older part of the hotel in March (unusually warm March). It is still nice, clean and a good basic room that included a bar fridge, coffee maker and a tea kettle. The reason we have rated this a 4 and not a 5 is because the windows do NOT open in the old part. The room thermostat is set at 72F. I like it warm but this was too warm for us, so we turned it down substantially. After being so warm the first night and not being able to sleep well, we enquired at the front desk about the heat. We were told that the cooling system was not on in the winter (make sense) but the only way to cool our room off was to turn the heating system off. We did so on our second and final night to no relief. Had we been able to stay in the new part and open a window, it would have been great.

Room Tip: Stay in the new area of the hotel that has windows that open.
1  Thank MyDanesRock
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was happy to read that overall, you had a good experience while you were at the hotel. We are an older historic hotel, some of our rooms do not have windows that open you are correct but most of our rooms do. We are currently in the process of renovating all of our room with new furniture’s, accessories, etc… I do agree with you that our location is unbeatable, seconds away from all that Banff has to offer.

Once again, Thank-you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

The first time we stayed we booked a "romantic" package and they gave us a room which had a view of ... WAIT FOR IT...the side of their own building! How frickin romantic! They did nothing to change our room when we complained. We did not get a reduced rate when we booked so I didn't get why we got such a crappy room. The breakfast wasn't all that impressive.

We gave it another chance and stayed there again. This time we got a joined room and out neighbors had a dog which barked all night. Again the hotel wasn't willing to relocate us.

We will never stay there again. The service and maintenance isn't great either

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Russian_queen1
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

I was very sorry to read that your latest stay did not meet your expectations. First, let me assure you that we do not assign guest rooms based on rates. We always try to give the best room available at the time. If one of our guest in unhappy with his or her room, we do everything in power to help. We can offer a different room providing occupancy permits, this can be a difficult task when we are sold out or close to it.

Once again thank-you for your feedback and I sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Arrived after a 9:30 hour flight to find confirmed superior room with King size bed was unaavailable as hotel had no record. Offered superior room 234 with twin Queen beds overlooking Banff Avenue. The room was extremely large and also had two armchairs and a table as well as the normal chest and desk. The bathroom was however the smallest I have seen in years. It could not accomodate two people and if the shower curtain was pulled across the bath due to the inedaquate lighting you could barely see the controls. The bathroom was also unheated, bear in mind it was very cold outside and snowing, and the electrical connection to the hairdryer would not be allowed in Europe! The beds were good but again power and light were thin on the ground. The hotel is badly in need of a complete refurbishment and survives on its history.

Room Tip: Ensure you are in the main hotel and not in the south wing.
2  Thank Les B
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

I was sorry to read about the confusion on check in. Our superior room with king size bed and superior room with 2 queen size beds are the same room category. We do allocate those rooms based on availability. As for the rooms itself, you will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of renovating all of our rooms. New furniture, etc… The lighting in the rooms will be much more adequate once the renovations are completed.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I chose this hotel because I wanted a convenient location in Banff. The hotel is centrally located to great restaurants, shops, and bars. I had driven past it the last time I was in Banff and thought it would be a good option for my next ski trip.

My check-in was great. The front desk agent was extremely friendly and managed to balance just the right amount of conversation with processing efficiency. The lobby was fairly poorly maintained but has the potential to be warm and inviting. The lobby floor clearly needed an aggressive mopping (having maintained a hotel during winter, I completely understand the challenges), and the furnishing were starting to show there wear and tear.

On taking the elevator to the second floor, the first thing you see getting off the elevator is a worn out chair, and chipped coffee table. Personally, I would remove it if you can’t afford to replace it. It sends the wrong message before you even get to the room.

The room was dated, but clean. (Which is the most important factor.). It was clear that some of the furnishings had seen better days. The bed was comfortable, and the bedding was up to date.

The bathroom was also clean, but in very poor condition. There was black mold in the bathtub which someone had tried to caulk over. Wall paper was peeling. And the lighting in the bathroom was very dim.

All of the above I could have lived with for that one night, but the poor sound proofing I couldn’t. At 3am I was woken up by the room above me with stomping, fighting, and profanity so load I could actually make out the word in my room. This lasted for 50 minutes.

First let me say I really wanted to like this hotel. However, after staying there once I would not choose to return. A hotels first and foremost job is to provide a quality night’s sleep, and this one doesn’t.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank BigHotelGuy
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

First, I would like to personally apologize to you in regards to your bad night sleep, we do want our guest to relax and refresh while they are with us. We do have security personal who patrol the hallways and they will knock on doors if the noise coming from the room is too loud. I will pass on your nice comments to my front-desk staff thank-you. You will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of renovating our guest rooms. When completed, they will look much more modern and up to date.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Great location! This is about the only positive thing I can say. We stayed four nights (family of three with a 12 year old). The first night after I finally got to sleep with a pillow over my head I was woken up again at 3am by drunks in the hall being loud, running from room to room, and slamming doors. I never got back to sleep. It was so noisy inside, and outside was just as bad. We were on the second floor room 256 and people would leave the bars (one was right under us) to smoke and would contine the party on the sidewalk. You get the idea.

The rooms were small but comfortable. The bathroom had peeling wall paper, but plenty of clean towels. I would not drink out of the coffee cups or water glasses in the room. It looks like they were wiped out with dirty wash clothes. I wouldn't even use the coffee maker.

We were there to ski, so I would get up early in the morning and walk a few doors down to McDonalds to get coffee. There were usually plenty of beer cans and 1/2 empty glasses left on the hallway and on tables as well as along the sidewalk. I felt sorry for the cleaning staff. I could only imagine how some of the rooms were trashed.

Our last night there we got new people next door. They were already loud at 5pm after we got back from skiing. The front desk told me I could call security after 11pm (when they start work). I finally knocked on their door at 10pm and asked them to quite down so we could go to sleep. They were quiet after that.

Parking is limited so you may have to park on the street.

I saw two young men carrying in two cases of beer one evening. I prayed they weren't on our wing.

If you are looking for a great party spot this would be a fun place to stay. If you want to sleep, go somehwere else.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lynn L
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I am very sorry to see that your stay did not meet your expectations. We always try to keep all of our guests as comfortable as possible, this is our core focus. As a whole, Banff tends to get a bit busier during a long week-end. We do have security who patrol the hallways during the night, they always knock on doors of “loud” rooms and ask them to keep it down. Unfortunately we cannot control the noise coming from outside the building.

Once again, we do apologize and we thank-you for your comments, we do take them to heart.