Tunnel Mountain Resort
Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2016

We spent a wonderful 4 nights at Tunnel Mountain. I was a bit apprehensive after reading a few negative reviews, but our experience was outstanding. Our unit was a 1 bedroom condo, which was on the bottom floor, with a bedroom (queen bed), living room with a pull out sofa, bathroom, kitchen and dining area. Perfect size for 3 of us. The units are older, but the maintenance seemed fine. Our view was of the forest, and the unit had a nice wood burning fireplace. They provide free firewood and kindling. There are also several gas bbq's which were clean, worked well, and had the needed bbq utensils attached. We made use of them on 2 nights. They also provide free bus passes to town, and the bus stops right out front. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.

If you are looking for a very upscale Fairmont type experience, this is not it. If you are looking for a very nice condo/cabin experience to use as a base for exploring all the wonderful sights in the area, then Tunnel Mountain is an excellent choice. We would not hesitate to stay here again, and would recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
ArjunBanff, General Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2016

Jim H

Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay here with us at the Tunnel Mountain Resort and were able to make use of our complementary amenities.

Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,173)

Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights with a tour in one of the Chalets. Found them to be clean and tidy. Nice,but small kitchen. The room we stayed in had 2 bathrooms. 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. Although the upstairs bathroom only had a toilet and sink.
We found the room downstairs with a queen bed a bit small and cramped.
The room upstairs was a lot more roomy and has 2 queen beds.
The resort is not right in town but is a short walk or there is a shuttle that runs into town.
We would stay again, but upgrade to a nicer room.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
ArjunBanff, General Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

johno198331

Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Tunnel Mountain Resort. I am happy that the room was adequate for your needs and you enjoyed some or our amenities.

I thank you again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

For what they charge the room we had was awful. Male front desk person was uncooperative and short when we checked in. Beds for me were too soft. The place needs to be updated. Our view were trees and intersection of vehicles. I slept on the couch while my partner took the bed. For me this place was a disappointment, I thank the heavens we had good weather and did not have to stay in the room, used only for naps and sleep.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Lou G

Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us here at the Tunnel Mountain Resort. Given our location we are on a ridge with trees all around us so I am sorry you did not get a good view. I have also spoken with our front desk team to insure every guest gets the best possible service we can deliver.

I can let you know we are in the process of planning a full room renovation which we hope to start in the near future. Once completed I do hope you return and witness firsthand the improvements made to the property.

Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

We used booking.com (not again as we got the most expensive room without the amenities -wood burning fireplace and kitchen we really wanted. The site said those rooms were not available, but there were many open when we arrived )
There are a lot of deferred maintenance issues not being addressed. The large jetted hot tub had only 3-4 of ten jets working, the DVDs we rented did not work in the machine...even after we asked for a new machine. They were old and scratched. The cleaning was hit and miss...one day no soap, one day no wash cloths, one day no bath towels, one day no coffee. The floors were never vaccumed during our week stay. The bed had an old mattress with a too small cover on it and no fitted sheets...we both ended up sleeping on the bare mattress half way through the night with shifting , Un-nchored sheets. The mattress did not fit the sheets...nor the box springs. The jetted tub was filled w find sand and a visible dirt ring in the tub...so I requested it cleaned only to see the bottom of the tub still filled w sand. Yuk.
On the positive, the hiking was right out the door, the front desk staff was very friendly and suffered my daily requests for towels, coffee, cleaning, DVD players...etc. with great ease. There was a complete power loss for the entire Banff region and because of the blackout and the uneven service and that we rented for 7 nights....a request for some discount was promptly denied by the manager
Also positive was the location, right on the bus line and out of the busy town. We had a lil porch but was next to the road and it was very busy w traffic. The room was big with high ceilings and the TV worked but the light in the room was very poor so hard to put in my contacts or apply makeup
I think the cleaning crew was just new kids...need better training and a checklist We paid 289 Canadian per night plus taxes had it over $300....definitely not worth that amount. This place could use an update and desperatel attention to better beds and bedding.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
ArjunBanff, General Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Nala335

Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am truly sorry for all the issues you had with your stay here at the Tunnel Mountain Resort as this is certainly not the impression we like to give our guests or the standards we strive to maintain. I have spoken with both our maintenance and housekeeping manager in regards to the issues and we are working diligently to insure we correct the problems and make sure they don’t reoccur again. In regards to the power outage I am sorry this happened during your stay as it affected the entire bow valley (Banff, Canmore and Lake Louise, bother commercial and residential) but the power companies were quick on the scene and restored power as soon as they were able to.

With this being said I would like to discuss the issues you had in more detail and encourage you to contact me directly at tmr-gm@bestofbanff.com, thank you again for your feedback and I do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2016

cabin was not clean, dirt in corners and empty water bottles left behind. Covers were just thrown over the bed, very disappointed in the cleanliness. The cleaners left a big bag of garbage in the middle of the floor by the table, called the front desk they said someone would be by to pick it up, no one ever came. The floors were never swept, the cleaners walked in with dirty shoes and didn't sweep it. Hair in the sink when we first got there, didn't report that. Microwave oven was smoking and the cord was very hot when i unplugged it, I reported this. Other then that great location with shuttle buses to downtown banff.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
ArjunBanff, General Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2016

Karenori

Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay here with us at the Tunnel Mountain Resort, our goal is to always insure a care free and relaxing visit and I am truly sorry we fell short in this instance. I have spoken with both our housekeeping and maintenance manager in regards to the issues you had and we have implemented to procedures to insure this does not happen again. With that being said if you would like to discuss the issues you had in more detail I would encourage you to contact me at any time at tmr-gm@bestofbanff.com

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed in a studio condo unit. It consisted of a bedroom just inside the door, a kitchen and bathroom in the center of the unit, and a living room with sofa, table and chairs, TV and wood burning fireplace (wood provided) beyond the kitchen. A sliding door in the living room provided access to a patio with chairs.

The queen-sized bed was comfortable and the bedding provided just the right amount of warmth for the cool nights.

The kitchen provided a full size refrigerator, range/oven, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, and toaster. There were glasses, dishes, cookware and silverware but just the bare minimum. A complete service for 4-6 would have been appreciated. There was only one regular-sized spoon, along with 2 serving spoons and 2 baby spoons; larger bowls for microwave cooking would have been appreciated, and oddly the microwave oven was on top of the refrigerator, making it potentially hazardous to use for an average-to-tall person (as you are reaching up quite high to remove hot dishes with hot contents) and perhaps impossible to use for someone vertically-challenged. A little coffee is provided daily but the 4-cup packets don't make much coffee in the 10-cup pot. And a roll of paper towels and hot pads/mitts would have been handy, but alas were lacking. The kitchen had a "surprise faucet," from which water came out so forcefully as to drench the unwary. The stove, microwave, fridge, and dishwasher were used, and all worked great.

The bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub. Water pressure was good, as was temperature regulation in the shower. The Jacuzzi tub was nice after a long, hard day of hiking.

Our stay was comfortable and fairly quiet. There is a room above the studio condo so you are at the mercy of the tenants above. Kids jumping around are felt more than heard.

The property is located about 1.5 km from downtown. Bus schedules and free bus passes are available upon request for guests who don't want to hassle with trying to find parking in downtown Banff, which can be challenging at times. The young lady checking us in was efficient and helpful.

Both pool and hot tub are available, but we used neither.

We plan to stay at the Tunnel Mountain Resort when we return to Banff.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple

Tom F

Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay here with us at the Tunnel Mountain Resort; I am sorry there were a few deficiencies with your room but we have since corrected them and value the opportunity to improve upon or service.

Thank you again for your comments and I do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

just a 5 min drive from downtown and close to everything else. The room was comfortable and after a dip in the awesome hot tub, we had a very refreshing sleep. The staff were great at making suggestions for sightseeing on a rainy day and helping us select a great restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
ArjunBanff, General Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2016

John L

Welcome home and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay here with us at the Tunnel Mountain Resort and our staff was able to give you good recommendations, and you were able to make use of our facilities.