“Great self catering apartments”

Hidden Ridge Resort
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

Booked a condo-type, semi detached house split over 3 floors with 3 bedrooms, an open lounge, kitchen/diner and 2 bathrooms.
Excellent value, clean, adequately serviced daily.
The resort has basic and necessary amenities, all kept to a good standard. Parking is underground or adjacent buildings.
Staff were friendly, international and pretty quick if anything was necessary.
All in all, a very good stay, which we'd happily repeat.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Art G, General Manager at Hidden Ridge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Anaesthete, thank you for your review of your stay at Hidden Ridge Resort. We're happy to read you enjoyed your stay and the facilities we provide for our guests. I'm happy to see you had excellent value for your clean and adequately serviced suite. We're happy to welcome you back and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 April 2017

Our hot tub cover was just ruined. The door knob to the balcony was about to fall off. For the price of this room I expect the best. When we complained there was nothing done about it. I have stayed there twice now and my first stay in the condo was better. I would never recommend this as a choice to stay based on the service and loyalty to the customer. Very disappointed.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

brettg372, thank you for taking time to review your stay at Hidden Ridge Resort. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I will bring your concerns to the department managers to improve upon the services we provide. As you mention, your first experience was better than this one so we hope we can see you back again. I know we can do better than we did this time.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

We had stayed at this resort numerous times throughout the years and had great memories. When we decided to try it again, we were excited. But upon arrival we realized the big beautiful hot tub surrounded by looming pines that once sat as a center piece had been replaced with multiple story accommodation units crammed together like factory animals. The hot tub had been downsized considerably and was located off of the main office, together with a sauna and a fire pit. It was crowded and noisy, far from relaxing. The unit itself was ok, some damaged screens, fireplace glass and misc other things. There were 2 sets of long stairs running from the main entrance and up to the bedroom loft. Our biggest complaint was the party going on across from us that kept us awake until 1:30 am. We were given a $100.00 discount for the noise. We will search for something else the next time we visit Banff. For the $500.00 nightly fee, this resort is not worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Art G, General Manager at Hidden Ridge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Tkona62, thank you for the review of your stay at Hidden Ridge Resort. In order to improve upon the services we provide our guests, we renovated the property a number of years ago. We did eliminate the centre hot tub and created two outdoor heated pools that overlook the town, valley and mountain ranges. It's a popular spot our guests use to relax after a long day of touring and exploring the surrounding area. I'm sorry to read there was noise disturbance during your stay. Our staff do numerous rounds throughout the night to ensure any noise is addressed as quickly as possible. Despite all efforts, there is the odd time when noise is inside the suites and not evident from the exterior. We appreciate your continued business over the years. We hope you are able to return for another visit to experience the advantages our hot pools offer.

Reviewed 3 April 2017

Our recent 4 night stay was perfect! It is located just outside the townsite, so it is peaceful and quiet, away from all of the buzz. The condo was exactly what we needed, little kitchen and communal BBQ's to allow us to make our own meals and an awesome communal hot tub to soak our tired muscles at the end of the day just steps away looking over the mountains/town site. The staff was awesome, giving us kindling right off the start to make our fires in our wood burning fireplace to burn off the evening chill and even gave us weiner sticks and marshmallows! Our room was made up daily which was always nice to come back to. Overall, if you are looking for a quiet get away this is the place to do it...not exactly walking distance to the town but people did, we had a car rental so it was a matter of a 5 min drive to the heart of Banff. Will stay again for sure!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Art G, General Manager at Hidden Ridge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

KDGRYM, thank you for taking time to review your stay at Hidden Ridge Resort. We are so happy to read you enjoyed all the facilities and services we provide for our guests. Preparing your own meals in your suite can definitely add to the value of your stay and save you money from having to eat at restaurants for every meal. Our slightly isolated location does provide a quiet atmosphere to enjoy away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Banff. I've walked to and from the resort to town many times in about 20 minutes, we also offer complimentary passes for the local transit for those that don't want to drive to town. We're so happy to see that you will stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 2 April 2017

Staff were awesome, the view was beautiful. Only complaints are the shower faucet was damaged, and the bus was a pain to take. Other than that I have no complaints.

We stayed in the King Jacuzzi suite. Although it was pretty pricey, I would definitely recommend this suite to other couples wanting a romantic getaway in Banff.

Room Tip: Private hot tub
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Art G, General Manager at Hidden Ridge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Nick D, Our King Jacuzzi suites are a great room type to enjoy for a romantic getaway in Banff. Our isolated location from downtown Banff offer our guests a quiet atmosphere with beautiful scenery you wouldn't get from a downtown hotel. We're happy you've described the staff as awesome, everyone tries hard to ensure all of our guests have the best stay possible. We appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Banff area.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

I will never understand how this place has 4 stars on Tripadvisor. My husband and two teen aged boys stayed here for a week on Spring Break. Our first room was a one bedroom loft - it was so small and only had one full bathroom. The staff was able to upgrade us to a 2 bedroom with "loft" but it was not much better. This place is just SMALL. My biggest complaint with the accomodations was the "den". It featured a small two seater (and very uncomfortable) sofa and that's it. So my family was not able to gather around at night and watch TV. Essentially, this place is like a hotel with a mini kitchen. The lobby of the resort is not welcoming - although the staff was very nice, it is basically a room overlooking the hot tubs with a fireplace that was never lit. The coffee pot was always empty. Speaking of the hot tubs - my boys were very excited about enjoying them but never did because they were packed to the rim with people all day and all night. The property is bordered by a RV park and a hostel and we suspect that those travelers were enjoying the hot tub as well. One of the biggest problems - do your research when staying in Banff - we were not aware that Hidden Ridge is not on the bus route to the snow mountains - so you have to take 2 buses - one from the resort to Banff, then catch another bus to the mountain. We spent a lot of our time lugging our ski gear from bus to bus. On a positive note - the setting was beautiful from the back of the property - as all places are in Banff. And as I said the front staff was very nice. This property was less expensive than other places in Banff - but we have learned our lesson and next time will pay more to stay in town in a nicer resort.

Room Tip: Rooms are small so size up!
3  Thank Heather A

Heather A, I'm sorry to read you found your suite small for your needs. We have a number of different room layouts to accommodate parties ranging in size from 1 through to 10. Our front desk, whenever possible, will suggest room types that may be more comfortable for each party size. We provide coffee, tea, hot chocolate and water in the lobby 24 hours a day. We brew our coffee as it empties as it only takes a few minutes to brew and ensures we are providing fresh coffee. I'm sorry to read the pots were always empty during your stay, that certainly isn't the norm for this amenity. Our hot tubs are a favourite relaxation amenity that our guest enjoy and at times they can get a bit busy, especially after many people return from the ski hills. The neighbouring hotel guests, campground guests, and hostel guests do not have access to our hot pools and we are quite good at ensuring only our guests have access to our hot pools. We provide complimentary passes for the local transit bus system to aid our guests going to, and returning from, downtown Banff free of charge. The bus stop is located right at the resort so our guests do not have to travel to access the transit system. The local ski hill buses do not stop at the resort but the local transit system stops right by the ski hill bus stops. Our secluded location just outside the downtown core of Banff provides our guests with a quiet atmosphere and beautiful scenery you wouldn't get from a downtown hotel. I'm happy to read the staff was very nice and I hope you have a better stay the next time you are in the Banff area.

Reviewed 31 March 2017

My husband and I headed to Banff for an anniversary celebration. I have to say we were very disappointed with our choice at Hidden Ridge. At just over $250 a night we expected more. List of problems:
- patio doors were not secure and would not lock properly
- tap in kitchen did not work properly
- queen bed in the bedroom had a mattress cover placed over the mattress to cover up a bad mattress, it kept sliding off the bed
- walks and stairs were covered in snow and ice, even after telling management nothing was done
- my husband fell on the ice going down the stairs from out room, mentioned and e-mailed manager, no acknowledgment
- no DVD player in our room, was told maintenance would bring one by, they never showed up
- On the positive side when we mentioned our concerns the receptionist removed 15% from our bill.
- However, this was done before my husband fell. He had told the front desk the dangers and sure enough as I said before he fell. When I phoned the front desk to tell them they said they were really sorry that happened. When we e-mailed management about our experience, especially falling, we were clear we were not looking for anything but wanted to inform them of our experience. We did not get a response or even acknowledgment of the e-mail.

1  Thank zaboo2017

zaboo2017, I'm sorry you were disappointed with your stay at Hidden Ridge Resort. All of our suites have our mountain luxury mattress pad on every bed. These are in place to make your sleep as comfortable as possible, not to cover up bad mattresses. We receive many compliments about the comfort of our beds through comment cards and emails. We reply to all of our guest email inquiries, whether they are questions for upcoming reservations or comments on previous stays. I'm really sorry that no one has replied to the email you sent but I've discovered, since reading your comments, that no one here has received an email stating the concerns you mention. Being able to see and read them now I sincerely apologize that your husband slipped and fell and I'm happy he wasn't injured. I have reviewed your concerns with all the departments involved and assure you we have taken them seriously. Despite not looking for anything in your email, I'm happy the front desk was able to assist at check out with addressing your concerns.