“Great get away!”

Banff Caribou Lodge & Spa
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the suite for a few days. Never been to Banff before. It was a great location, close to shopping. Amazing spa and a great restaurant! We enjoyed our special time there. Loved the rustic caribou theme. That's how a place like that is supposed to look. Easy check in and out as well

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Jennifer M

Reviewed 19 January 2017

I came here on a father-daughter ski trip and loved my stay! The beds were super cozy and the rooms were spacious and clean. The staff were super friendly and helpful when it came to renting ski equipment and even just suggestions for places to eat in town! The one thing I will say is that they need to either use less chlorine in the hot pools or have more circulation in that room. My eyes were burning all night and I couldn't breathe from the heavy concentration of the chlorine. Otherwise, I highly recommend staying at this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank oshen4293
Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

This was our second stay in this hotel, the last being 4 years ago. We chose it again because it was good last time and the ski bus stops outside the door. It's far enough out of town to be quiet and to make you think that you are being virtuous in walking there and back for a meal! Because it's one of the first few stops you are always guaranteed a seat on the bus. The rooms are clean and spacious with modern furniture and bathrooms. All staff were great without fail from front desk to bar/restaurant to housekeeping. Breakfast was not included in our holiday but we had the hot buffet a couple of times and it was hot and plentiful. My only slight negative is that I think the restaurant/bar is too expensive for dinner when compared to other restaurants in Banff. Chilis is a few hotels down and much better value for money, especially if you are eating out frequently.

Ski lockers are complimentary which is helpful and the laundry was cheap to use.

One other negative was that we found the rooms hot to sleep in and the air really dry. We had a balcony off our room and slept with the door open every night (it was -25). This may have just been us though!

Overall a decent hotel that I would recommend.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 15 January 2017

I would strongly recommend the lodge invest in dyson vacuums. Our room had crackers on the floor and other bits of debri. Saw staff vacuuming hallways struggling to pick stuff up from the carpet because the suction on the vacuum was so poor. Staff were very polite and helpful and we loved that there was a Keg restaurant on the premises.
We were on the 4th floor. Don't get rooms directly across from the elevator (401 & 402), guests noisy when waiting outside your door. I opened the window for fresh air and heard a howling noise like a wind tunnel because of the gap under the door. I had to put a coat there to stop it.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms across from an elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank buttscathy
Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

We have stayed at the Banff Caribou many times for a relaxing overnight trip to Banff from Calgary. It was -22 Celsius outside, so we love the heated underground parking and Keg restaurant right in the hotel. We booked a room with 2 comfy queen beds for $99. Great value in this expensive town. So proud that this is my Canada in my backyard. Free entry to National parks in 2017.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CountryHills
Reviewed 11 January 2017

We got to the hotel and the lobby was quite nice. Then we went up to the room and it seemed ok at first glance.
My husband then went to take a bath after a long trip. As the tub was running hair started to come out of the drain and come into the tub. bleh gross my stomach turns just thinking about it.
Then he wanted a cup of tea so I went to boil water and the kettle was disgusting...there was some kind of pinkish floaters maybe rust? and then I tried to clean it but it was so much work we decided maybe we should buy a kettle tomorrow or ask for a clean one.
Then it was about 1 am when we finally crawled into our bed. BIG MISTAKE! I crawled in first wearing my woolly pajamas and then he is a warm sleeper so he crawled in in his underwear...He had this disgusted look on his face...the sheets were so gritty and sandy and gross we were so grossed out but we were also so tired we used a throw blanket we had brought and slept on top of the covers. First thing in the morning we went to ask about switching rooms. She said she was fully booked.
I explained what had happened and she said if we wait until 3 we can have the room down the hall. We were so disgusted that we didn't want to stay there for the rest of our 4 more nights. She explained that they owned a couple more hotels in Banff and she could move us to (a less nice but clean hotel) a different hotel. We were on our honeymoon ya?! so we didn't want to settle that's why we booked a month in advance. We asked if there was a nicer hotel we could possibly move to and she said the moose. So we did move over there. However we then had to not only pay for the terrible night we had sort of napping here and there but we had to pay a ridiculous 1500 for 4 nights instead of our agreed price for the caribou of 752. We do not recommend this hotel. The Moose was good but Caribou...Dirty and disgusting! Don't go there! Kind of ruined the rest of our honey moon as we didn't have that extra 750 dollars to do what we were hoping to do. :( Not happy since it took us 5 years to save up to finally go on honeymoon. wrecked the mood. :(

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
7  Thank lornamugwe1986
Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Comfy accommodation with ski bus stop outside the front door ski lockers and health spa. Warm welcome from reception and warm real fire in the foyer. Adjacent restaurant The Keg is a great steak house.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family