“Does what it says on the tin”
Review of Bumpers Inn

Bumpers Inn
Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed 2 nights here and it was fine. Quite a walk into downtown Banff but the room was good with fridge and microwave. 2 big beds , very comfortable the tired exterior belies the comfort of the rooms. Good Wifi, cheap, 3.10 dollars for the length of your stay .added bonus was a visit from a female elk, the animal type not a weird American cult figure.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank margaret b

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I feel guilty rating this 2 stars since the staff were so helpful, but..

The room was a problem.
- First and foremost, there was no air conditioning, no fan. We were so hot in our room that we couldn't sleep two nights running.
- Walls were very thin, we could hear our neighbors talking in their rooms.
- Our windows faced into a courtyard/lounge area, so we couldn't leave our curtains open most of the time.
- The lack of plugs meant I had to unplug the alarm clock to charge my camera.

Ok. Upsides:
- microwave and fridge
- wifi is free, works well
- friendly, helpful staff
- inexpensive for Banff

Also, Bumpers Inn is well away from the center of downtown Banff. That didn't bother us as we aren't into shopping or nightlife...but if you are, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KHalvy
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I read lots of reviews before selecting this place. It is pretty much what the other reviews say, so I knew what I was getting into. I therefore cannot complain that I wasn't warned.

Banff is very expensive and I did not wish to lay down too much money for a room we would not be spending much time in, so we went the budget route. 'Budget' is a relative term. We paid around $150/night, which is not a budget room anywhere else, but qualifies as such in Banff, where nice rooms easily run from $300 to over $1,000/night.

The property is not dirty or poorly maintained. I was just surprised at the simplicity and lack of ammenities for the price.

If you are sensitive to heat, DO NOT stay here during the summer months. The rooms only have windows opening on the central courtyard, while only offering the front door on the opposite side of the room. Since the property sits next to a mosquito-infested forest, you don't dare leave the door open except to run in or out and slam it back shut. There is therefore no ability to obtain cross-draft ventilation. There is no A/C. So, on a warm evening, you're going to sweat as you lay down to sleep. We were warm our first night, but then it cooled off for the second night and was not too bad.

The people who run the place are very friendly and accomodating, so no complaints there. I think they have done the best they can do with the property in its existing condition.

Everything in the room was clean and maintained. Our room had a microwave and refrigerator that both worked fine.

The rules about keeping quiet hours are strict and appreciated, as you will need to keep your windows to the courtyard open at night to be able to sleep in the summer.

There is no breakfast offered, no pool, no fitness center, no business center.

The property is on the far end of town away from most of the shopping and other attractions. This can be good or bad, depending on your preferences.

The Bumpers restaurant right next door was very good. I'll write a separate review about that place.

Bottom line, Bumpers Inn is fine if you need to travel on a budget and don't mind being a bit warm on a summer night. But if you can spend more, you would be well advised to do so.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the street side, it may avoid some of the problems with mosquitoes when you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MontanaMike65
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed 2 night here in a different room each time and had a pleasant experience both times. The rooms were basic, but they had that cottage type feel to it, as well as all the necessities (microwave, coffee, big screen tv, etc.). We went in late spring so we got a pretty good deal. For the price we paid (85+ tax) I would have to say that we got our money's worth compared to other hotels in the region.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank matthew e
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Definitely budget accommodation. Nothing fancy about the place, but not much to complain about either. What I liked: Large room with a very high ceiling (probably only 2nd floor rooms have this), equipped with fridge and microwave, clean, comfortable, large new flat screen TV, quiet location, and little noise from neighbouring rooms. I also liked that each room has a door leading either to a balcony or ground level in the inner court yard. The large spruce trees in the middle of the court yard host a family of red squirrels, whose antics can amuse one for hours - please keep the squirrels! Location is at the end of the hotel strip in Banff, but only 10 minutes to walk downtown along Banff avenue. Price for 5 nights was probably less than one night at the Banff Springs and other hotels. What could be better: rooms too hot - every though weather was cold and I had two windows wide open I couldn't quite get the room to cool off at night. Also, internet service went out at least twice in the four evenings I was there, and the front desk staff seemed powerless to do anything about it. Why is that hotels find it so hard to maintain constant wireless internet while most of us maintain our home wireless networks with few if any interruptions?!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MtSwansea
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We book a Queen Room for a simple 2 nights stay. The room is basic but if you want a cheap place to sleep then it is a good choice.

* check-in time is before 11pm. You have to make a call and get the key from a safe box if you arrive after 11pm.
* wifi is not free. it charges $3, one time charge though.
* location is good. enough parking space.
* staff is friendly.
* room is basic with a mini fridge.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank goccmm
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Bumpers Inn was a very good choice for our overnight stay in Banff. It is at the far end of hotel row, which meant it was very quiet. We walked into "downtown" to stretch our legs, which took all of 10 minutes. The room was large with windows that opened into a central courtyard. King sized bed. Clean and well kept. I didn't notice that there were no bath towels until I was getting out of the shower (just an oversight on the part of the cleaning staff, I'm sure) and $15 was taken off our bill when I mentioned that at checkout. I would recommend Bumpers Inn for pleasant and reasonably priced accommodation in Banff.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple