All reviews moraine lake rock pile king cabin evening talks sentinel pass log fire hiking guide day trippers ten peaks complimentary bottle of wine canadian rockies picture window two nights canoe rentals included in the room rate our honeymoon very special place
Reviewed August 31, 2017

Our first visit and hopefully not to be our last. My wife and I stayed in one of the front line lodges and enjoyed the view, the evening and morning tranquility and on one evening the coziness of the fireplace. But the room showpiece is the bed. Big enough to sleep 4 (6 if they are really friendly) it was so comfortable we did not want to get up in the morning. We shall be back!!

Reviewed August 30, 2017 via mobile

We booked at the Moraine Lake Lodge. It's a cozy small size cabin and all rooms faces the waters. We were in room #22 with a queen size bed a nice small wood burning fireplace. We bought marshmallows to roast at night. Inside the room has a kettle and coffee machine. There's a complimentary bottle of Red Wine upon your arrival in the cabinet! We were on the top floor therefore had no sound issue. Canoe is free and unlimited whereas non guest pay $99 an hour. There's complimentary breakfast serve from 7-10:15am in the dining room (fruits/bacon/eggs) and coffee/tea and cookies served from 3-5pm in the library. Dinner we had reservation in their dining room. It might seem high for the price but this area is isolated therefore cost of transportation to bring in so I totally understand. We did some hike around the lake and up the rock pile to take the famous picture of the Ten Peaks. For those who are not into climbing, there's an easy trail up to the rock pile! It's on the left side where the bus is parked, the trail will lead you up to a slow climb. It does get very busy coming up here from Lake Louise but we showed our reservation so they will let us in from the highway and guest have private parking. My son and husband had a great time enjoying the nature. A must visit if you are in the Banff area. It is less crowded than Lake Louise. It is cool in the morning but very hot in the afternoon. I suggest bringing a scarf for those morning hikes.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2017

We spent 2 nights in the Moraine Lake Lodge in one of the cabins. Oh my, what a wonderfyl lodging for those days. We were greeted with a complimentary bottle of fine wine! We enjoyed it on our private deck overlooking the beautiful turquoise lake in wonderful sunshine. We enjoyed a fire in our cabin the 2nd chilly night. The extra firewood is stacked outside the door so no fear of running out. We did not get out on the lake in the canoes complimentary to our stay as we went hiking instead. It was well worth the price for the special days we were there.

Room Tip: Semiprivate cabin overlooking the lake was superb!
Reviewed August 26, 2017

This has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth! I think that every room has a view of the lake, and it is one you won't forget. The room in the lodge is rustic, with lots of wood. There is a closet and shelf space for personal belongings. Tea/coffee service is in the room, as well as glasses and a corkscrew. A balcony has a view of the lake, and the bathroom is supplied with L'Occitane products. Afternoon tea is served in the library, which has games, books, and a fireplace. The buffet breakfast was very good, and dinner was delicious. It's nice to stay here because day visitors start showing up before sunrise! There are trails that start at the lodge, and canoe rentals are included when you stay here. (Guests have priority over day visitors.) There is also a well stocked gift shop on the premises. One area that needs improvement is cleaning under the beds. I dropped something and was shocked by the amount of dust under the bed. I requested that it be cleaned, but after housekeeping had come and gone later that day, it looked like they had only cleaned the edges. Nevertheless, I would recommend the Moraine Lake Lodge.

Reviewed August 23, 2017

I'll admit this is a tough review to write- this has been one of my favourite places on earth and this visit I was disappointed...

On the plus side, the lodge itself is super and in an amazing setting. The rooms in the lodge itself have the best view and I could just live on the balcony there. The rooms are really well appointed and comfortable and the staff are as fantastic as ever. Afternoon tea is served for free for 2 hours and is a real daily treat and we love the guided walks. This year's staff member who led them was Jazz and she was brilliant- friendly, open, approachable, knowledgeable- just a great guide.

On the down side, we've never seen the area so busy and the lodge have catered to the added crowds by opening the gift shop and cafe for longer. I know they have to make a living but they needed to think about the effect on the lodge guests and I wonder if they considered that? The lodge used to feel really exclusive and... it just didn't this time... I was on the moraine at 5.30 am one morning which I've shared with just a few photographers in previous visits but this time it was choc a block with a certain nationality of tourists yelling- and I really mean yelling- to each other across the areas of the moraine, laughing hysterically and making their stupid finger signals in photos, squishing infront of us and clambering over the moraine which can only be an erosion problem.

One of the biggest issues was over the kayaks. In previous years, guests have been allowed to take the kayaks out on the lake for free and at any time. We've literally taken life jackets and paddles back to our room so we could be on the lake at first light. This visit the policy has changed due to an "incident" last year. Health and safety has taken over and now we were allowed the kayaks for free and anytime during the day (thank you!) but out of hours was not on the cards. We were told all we had to do was ask at reception to go on the lake anytime but the one time we tried it, we were sent down to the dock to wait and we just waited until the (great) staff turned up for 9am anyway. Again, where has the exclusivity gone? This was a very sad loss for us and another thing that had changed for the worse at the lodge. We noticed the price hadn't reduced though...

Within the lodge itself, as I say the rooms are comfortable but they are short on space for 3 adults but we felt we paid a price that would have warranted more space. In addition, the day we arrived- having paid for 3 adults- we had to ask for the 3rd of everything i,e, towels, cup, glass etc. I could have lived with that but when we had to ask for the 3rd of everything on the 2nd day... and the fourth... Again, come on! We're paying very high prices here! Of course everything turned up promptly, with a smile.. yes, yes... but WE SHOULDN'T have had to keep asking. A plus here was that on day 1 when we asked for the extra tea and milk for the 3rd adult, reception turned up with a huge bag of different teas and milks. I'm grateful, really I am, but WE SHOULDN'T have had to ask in the first place!

If you're still reading (bless you!), I'm sure you'll read my frustration. This is still an amazing experience in a stunning location and I'd still recommend it highly.., but management can't take the privileges and exclusivity down for repeat customers (our 3rd visit here) when prices are as high as ever without us noticing and commenting! When my husband proposed this visit to Canada and suggested that we might not stay at Moraine Lake Lodge, he had a family revolt on his hands. Now, I might be with him. So sorry.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family