All reviewsbow lakewalls are thinvenison medallionsicefields parkwaycanadian rockiesdining room isrooms are basicspent one night herehot breakfastno elevatorlog cabinmountain viewrecommend staying hereincredible viewsguest roomshistoric hotelstayed longer
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I did not stay at Num-Ti-Jah, but stopped and spent the morning at the lake and stayed for lunch in the restaurant. It is a lovely piece of history, but even so, I didn't think food could taste so bland.

When I ordered the bison stew, I expected a nice rich, comforting bowl of stew. What I got was a watery soup with a bit of meat floating around. And they served this with a fork! No spoon or bread to help with the "gravy"

The others all complained. The chicken fajita-type thing, was so dry and had two tiny pieces of chicken hidden between the dry bread. The salmon in my neighbour's plate was barely touched. She was amazed how anyone could get salmon so dried out.

Very poor show, seeing that this is a place that attracts non-Canadians.

Apart from this, the scenery is spectacular!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank purdy37
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Having arrived in lake louise with out a reservation for the night we set about early in the morning time to book a room via the local tourist information centre, we where offered a choice of 2 places one being a motel back down bow valley parkway,or the Num-Ti-Jah lodge, were we would be a bit further up the road for the following morning, so we made a reservation for the night costing $320 plus taxes therefore we paid $360 for the night (room only)

Now I dont know about anyone else but when i pay this sort of money for a hotel I expect to get value for my money - this is not the case here. We had booked a lake view room ok we did have a view of the lake but just about, there was 2 small windows in the room that looked out to the lake if you looked side ways out the window you could see it.....

As for the over all appearance of the lodge yes the building itself was nice but they really could do a little tidying up outside they are charging the rate of a luxury hotel they should be providing guests with that, the outside was unkept they really could do with new surfaces on the carkpark, an some outside lighting. To us it seems they have spent the money on the downstairs and ran out of it for upstairs.... downstairs was lovely really warm cosy feeling, it was all wood with a large gas fire and all sorts of animal heads around the place, we didn't eat with them as but the food looked lovely coming past us, we were told we could get a drink up to 10pm then the bar would be closing....

When booking we were told they had no lift and the room was on first floor this wasn't a problem for us we took out of the car what we would need for the night and left the big cases in the car.

The bedroom was very old looking I remarked it was like a room in my granmothers house years ago.... very old furniture 2 double beds and a old bathroom suite, there was nothing else, no facilities at all in the room no television not even a kettle although they did offer tea and coffee downstairs for guests. To be truthful I wouldn't have been happy to pay any more than $50 for this room normally. Having to retreat to bed at 10.00pm we then realized just how old the building was as we could hear everything from the other rooms an I mean everything every word and noise that came from the other rooms we could hear it walls were paper thin, now it may be a historic building but im very sure you can do something about sound proofing the internal walls it really was a joke, oh yes i also forgot to mention how the windows were also single glazed with rotten frames and it was so cold outside it was even snowing when we were there, so it was a little chilli in the room, I actually was so afraid it wouldn't stop snowing and we would get stuck there for another night!

This place was so bad we decided to get up at 6.00am to leave the next morning, when we went downstairs the place was locked up and we found a note on the desk asking you to use the walkie talkie to get the manager in an emergency.... this really was the last straw for us they didn't even have a night person on duty! we would have just have left with out checking out only they decided they needed to pre authorize my husbands credit card for $800!!!! encase we did any damages???? im not very sure what we could damage as there was nothing in our room to damage......

So the moral to our story is not to stay here if you expect to get value for your money unless they undertake a refurbishment program for their rooms, bring them more up to date they dont need to provide mod cons as it is quite nice not to have them in such a rural retreat, but they really need to at least change curtains and bed linen's carpets and furniture to something a bit more luxurious to reflect on the price they charge, and tidy up outside the building and maybe provide an outdoor hot tub, this would be fantastic sitting in the hot tub looking out over the lake and mountains, oh and for $320 I would have expected to get my breakfast for this aswell.

to be truthful if we had known how bad it was going to be here we would have booked into the fairmount im sure it wasn't goin to cost much more and it would have been money better spent.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank CloverBelfast
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at Num-Ti-Jah for its amazing location!!! And truly, it is!!! We spent 2 nights there. Our first night, we came from Lake Louise where we spent the day, hiking to Lake Agnes and the Big Beehive (another wonderful hike). We didn't get to the lodge until 8 pm and they willingly served us dinner even though we had no reservation (we should have had one because they stop serving dinner at 8 pm). Dinner, while expensive, was excellent (about $75/2 non-drinkers) and we considered it our splurge!
The hotel is rustic and basic. Walls are thin and the HVAC must be temperamental as I blew the fuse with my hairdryer! Remember, you are staying there not for the hotel amenities but for the amazing location, view, and hiking!!! The second day, we ate breakfast at the hotel and then packed a lunch (PB&J) and hiked to Bow Falls. It is a great hike; bring a wool hat because it is really windy at the base of the falls. It will remain as one of the most memorable experiences of my vacation. Definitely, stay here and hike to Bow Falls (or if you are ambitious (I wasn't), hike to the lake above the falls).

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor; there are no elevators, and the stairs are many! The front desk offered to carry our luggage up, but we declined.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank alohaboulder
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Right , the first thing you need to know is that Num-Ti-Jah lodge isn't a standard hotel, there is no mobile /cell phone coverage , and no internet. You don't get a choice of restuarants , there isn't a tv in your room and yes it's old . If you want all of the above book into a modern motel or hotel........ the whole point of staying here is to escape the modern world and enjoy the peace and quiet, the wonderful views , the historic building and it's heritage. it's a wonderful building and a true reminder of what one man's dreams can achive ( if i have just lost you google Jimmy Simpson ) we stayed in room 16 , huge even by modern standards and yes , old and basic furniture, but with views to die for. Our evening meal was very good , why would you opt for a burger whan theres fresh fish and game on the menu , and the staff went out of thier way to make our stay fantastic. i think all the people who have left negitive reviews have really missed the point , you can use the internet and you cell phone 364 days of the year, just once take a day off !!

Room Tip: room 16 , huge and great views
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peter h
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We didn't stay at the Num-Ti-Ja, but we ate there, used the facilities, browsed the lovely gift shop. Staff were very nice. The glacier-fed Bow River Lake outside was beautiful and very cold. Some people swam in it! There is a nice walk to the Bow River Falls (3 km walk each way) to the foot of the falls. There was wind blowing off the top of the glaciers and the area is rather cold, so wear a jacket, a soft hat and gloves if you're going to be there longer than just to look at the scenery. This is the start of the mighty Bow River, which flows out of Bow Lake and continues past Calgary and empties into the Hudson Bay, about 2,500 kms.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family