“Great location, back to basics, charming old place”
Review of Num-Ti-Jah Lodge

Num-Ti-Jah Lodge
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I loved this place and the location of it right on Bow Lake.It's a beautiful old wooden building and it feels like going back in time at this place. If you are out for hiking and love nature then this is a great place to be. While it was way more expensive than it should have been for what the place is, it was a great experience. And i wasn't sure why they needed such a large damage deposit for our stay - $800 seems a little excessive.. so if you do stay make sure you have enough funds on your card for this.

It was lovely to go out for a morning hike up to the falls under the glacier at the back of the lake, then come back and sit around in the old chairs with a cup of tea and look through a huge collection of national geographic magazines dating back to the early 70's. It's wonderfully peaceful sitting outside in the chairs looking over the lake in the afternoon sun.

If you are the type that likes super luxury and spend your time in your room then this is not the place for you - as there is no tv, but if you dig nature and like to get out and explore this is a great base to get out and do a bunch of hikes up and down the highway. There are great hikes to Peyto lake just north of here and the lake is a must see.

For the price we paid i think it would only be fair that they included a breakfast, as the place is so remote, and no fridge in the room to keep your own food cool, we lived on sandwiches with tomato and cucumbers as it was too expensive to have every meal at the restaurant. We ate at the restaurant one night there and the food was quite good and tasty.

There is a lovely atmosphere sitting around the fire in the dining room and having a drink at the end of the day.

The one thing though is that the staff were quite young and it was more like a hangout for them and a base for hiking, which would be an awesome experience to work there for a season, but i do think they could be a little more service orientated.

I would love to stay here again, but would most likely find something a little cheaper.

Room Tip: A room with the view of the lake would be good, but i believe they charge more for this. We had a ro...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Penpen5

Reviewed 12 December 2012

My experience at Num-ti-Jah could best be described in one word - disappointing!

Here is why:

1. Food -The fancy menus, set meals, and advertising, set expectations at a high level for the food. Our experience however was that the food was only average, certainly not exceptional, not fine dining as we had anticipated.
2. Staff - The team seemed to consist primarily of young, inexperienced, and not overly well trained foreign and domestic workers. Not once did I observe a manager overseeing the staff although that person may have been on site.
3. Lodge and Room - While from a distance the lodge looks quite romantic (and it is to a degree), up close the lodge (including our room) looks as though it is needing to be refurbished. In particular our deluxe priced room was not at all large in size, the bathroom was cramped and in we had no heat in the room. We were instead given an extra blanket because no space heater was available.
4. Price - Considering the food was only average, the lodge and room are needing refurbishment, the staff were weak in their service, I found the price of our brief stay to be exorbitant with regards to value for money.

Room Tip: If you decide to go anyway, choose a west facing room as those on the east side get to hear the gene...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bev S
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I have traveled the Icefields Parkway for years both personally and professionally and have always been intrigued by the little red roofed lodge by the lake. The location is incomparable...not even the Fairmont Lake Louise can match it! I loved the size of the lodge and the coziness. We stayed here simply to be closer to the mountains. We had a big hike planned and to have driven from Calgary would have cost us precious time and daylight. Num-Ti-Jah did not disappoint. I read only two reviews before I wrote this, and having worked in the travel industry for many, many years I know how to read between the lines. People who complain about kettles not being in the room are obviously British and people who complain about the food, always complain about the food.
I have long known the history of this hotel and I love it. All heritage hotels can use some work, even the Fairmonts! This hotel has paper thin walls, but that's nothing a set of earplugs can't fix. A well seasoned traveler doesn't leave home without them! The rooms have everything you need, and a gorgeous view. The restaurant is wonderful! I have been dreaming of the roasted pork loin ever since! And the staff are friendly and attentive.
The other important reason that we booked here over anywhere else in Lake Louise is the price. The hotels in the Canadian Rockies are expensive. That's all there is to it. Num-ti-Jah Lodge was less than the rest. And we were closer to all of the wonderful hiking. The only other choice would have been a very cold tent at a very cold campground.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Skislikeagirl
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Even when you drive up to the Num-Ti-Jah Lodge your breath is taken away by the fabulous lake and mountain scenery. Our room was befitting the history of the lodge; a tad bit rustic but most comfortable and with stunning views. We pulled the chairs up to the window in our room to enjoy a glass of wine and the spectacular setting of the sun behind the mountains. It was suddenly very quiet, still and spiritual. I could almost feel the presence of Jimmy Simpson walking the grounds. We had dinner in the dining room sitting by a window, fireplace aglow. It was early in the season so there weren't many other guests. Food was fabulous! We had a quick walk after dinner to listen to the night animals and the absolute stillness. I slept so soundly that night and next morning enjoyed a delicious breakfast in the dining room. I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Simpson in Banff when I was young. He made such an impression on me walking down Banff Avenue with his buckskin jacket and his distinctive hat. However, it was only recently when I read the book, Jimmy Simpson, Legend of the Rockies, that I realized how lucky I was to have met such a great man who contributed so much to making the Rocky Mountains accessible to so many people. Thank you Jimmy for Num-Ti-Jah. Thank you Num-Ti-Jah for the experience - I will return.

Room Tip: Our room faced the lake and it was well worth the view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jazzeruth
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I did not stay at Num-Ti-Jah, but stopped and spent the morning at the lake and stayed for lunch in the restaurant. It is a lovely piece of history, but even so, I didn't think food could taste so bland.

When I ordered the bison stew, I expected a nice rich, comforting bowl of stew. What I got was a watery soup with a bit of meat floating around. And they served this with a fork! No spoon or bread to help with the "gravy"

The others all complained. The chicken fajita-type thing, was so dry and had two tiny pieces of chicken hidden between the dry bread. The salmon in my neighbour's plate was barely touched. She was amazed how anyone could get salmon so dried out.

Very poor show, seeing that this is a place that attracts non-Canadians.

Apart from this, the scenery is spectacular!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank purdy37
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Having arrived in lake louise with out a reservation for the night we set about early in the morning time to book a room via the local tourist information centre, we where offered a choice of 2 places one being a motel back down bow valley parkway,or the Num-Ti-Jah lodge, were we would be a bit further up the road for the following morning, so we made a reservation for the night costing $320 plus taxes therefore we paid $360 for the night (room only)

Now I dont know about anyone else but when i pay this sort of money for a hotel I expect to get value for my money - this is not the case here. We had booked a lake view room ok we did have a view of the lake but just about, there was 2 small windows in the room that looked out to the lake if you looked side ways out the window you could see it.....

As for the over all appearance of the lodge yes the building itself was nice but they really could do a little tidying up outside they are charging the rate of a luxury hotel they should be providing guests with that, the outside was unkept they really could do with new surfaces on the carkpark, an some outside lighting. To us it seems they have spent the money on the downstairs and ran out of it for upstairs.... downstairs was lovely really warm cosy feeling, it was all wood with a large gas fire and all sorts of animal heads around the place, we didn't eat with them as but the food looked lovely coming past us, we were told we could get a drink up to 10pm then the bar would be closing....

When booking we were told they had no lift and the room was on first floor this wasn't a problem for us we took out of the car what we would need for the night and left the big cases in the car.

The bedroom was very old looking I remarked it was like a room in my granmothers house years ago.... very old furniture 2 double beds and a old bathroom suite, there was nothing else, no facilities at all in the room no television not even a kettle although they did offer tea and coffee downstairs for guests. To be truthful I wouldn't have been happy to pay any more than $50 for this room normally. Having to retreat to bed at 10.00pm we then realized just how old the building was as we could hear everything from the other rooms an I mean everything every word and noise that came from the other rooms we could hear it walls were paper thin, now it may be a historic building but im very sure you can do something about sound proofing the internal walls it really was a joke, oh yes i also forgot to mention how the windows were also single glazed with rotten frames and it was so cold outside it was even snowing when we were there, so it was a little chilli in the room, I actually was so afraid it wouldn't stop snowing and we would get stuck there for another night!

This place was so bad we decided to get up at 6.00am to leave the next morning, when we went downstairs the place was locked up and we found a note on the desk asking you to use the walkie talkie to get the manager in an emergency.... this really was the last straw for us they didn't even have a night person on duty! we would have just have left with out checking out only they decided they needed to pre authorize my husbands credit card for $800!!!! encase we did any damages???? im not very sure what we could damage as there was nothing in our room to damage......

So the moral to our story is not to stay here if you expect to get value for your money unless they undertake a refurbishment program for their rooms, bring them more up to date they dont need to provide mod cons as it is quite nice not to have them in such a rural retreat, but they really need to at least change curtains and bed linen's carpets and furniture to something a bit more luxurious to reflect on the price they charge, and tidy up outside the building and maybe provide an outdoor hot tub, this would be fantastic sitting in the hot tub looking out over the lake and mountains, oh and for $320 I would have expected to get my breakfast for this aswell.

to be truthful if we had known how bad it was going to be here we would have booked into the fairmount im sure it wasn't goin to cost much more and it would have been money better spent.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank CloverBelfast
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed at Num-Ti-Jah for its amazing location!!! And truly, it is!!! We spent 2 nights there. Our first night, we came from Lake Louise where we spent the day, hiking to Lake Agnes and the Big Beehive (another wonderful hike). We didn't get to the lodge until 8 pm and they willingly served us dinner even though we had no reservation (we should have had one because they stop serving dinner at 8 pm). Dinner, while expensive, was excellent (about $75/2 non-drinkers) and we considered it our splurge!
The hotel is rustic and basic. Walls are thin and the HVAC must be temperamental as I blew the fuse with my hairdryer! Remember, you are staying there not for the hotel amenities but for the amazing location, view, and hiking!!! The second day, we ate breakfast at the hotel and then packed a lunch (PB&J) and hiked to Bow Falls. It is a great hike; bring a wool hat because it is really windy at the base of the falls. It will remain as one of the most memorable experiences of my vacation. Definitely, stay here and hike to Bow Falls (or if you are ambitious (I wasn't), hike to the lake above the falls).

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor; there are no elevators, and the stairs are many! The front desk offered to...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family