All reviewsbow lakewalls are thinvenison medallionsicefields parkwaycanadian rockiesdining room isrooms are basicspent one night herehot breakfastno elevatorlog cabinmountain viewrecommend staying hereincredible viewsguest roomshistoric hotelstayed longer
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I have to say upfront that the location is awesome. The lake is beautiful and the architecture of the lodge really fits into its surroundings well. We spent a couple of happy hours photographing the lake and mountains in the frosty early morning sun before the coach parties arrived (and be sure they will). The lodge is a very attractive old log building and the decor in the public areas reflects that, although we did get a little uncomfortable eating under the gaze of so many stuffed animals and birds in the dining room.

The bedroom was a very odd shape, clearly it had been partitioned at some point to make space for the bathroom and possibly another bedroom. It was basic and the bed and pillows were very hard indeed. Understand, I like my bed to be firm, but this was like sleeping on the floor. The bathroom appeared not to have had a facelift since before I was born. I'm not saying all this just to be picky - this is not an inexpensive hotel.

However, the low point of the stay was dinner. The prices were comparable to Vancouver, or even New York, fine dining, but this was definitely not fine dining. The soup was clearly a puttanesca pasta sauce from a jar, and far too rich to be eaten on its own without pasta. The salmon was well-enough cooked but covered in a nasty citrusy slime that I had to scrape off. It was accompanied by fried pasta which was fairly horrible. We didn't want to risk the dessert having seen several people on neighbouring tables try it then push it away. Service consisted of a couple of teenage girls who struggled to cover about 6 tables of two guests each, and clearly didn't want to be there. The hot breakfast was pretty good, must have been a different chef...

I would say this hotel is cashing in on its location (and remember, Bow Lake is a public place so not inaccessible to non-guests), and really needs to update itself or lower its prices.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank UKExpatNewYork
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We spent a weekend in late September in this gem of an inn. It is on the Bow Lake and you look out towards the glacier and mountain peaks. The fall colours and clean air made for a perfect weekend getaway. Num Ti Jah is a true mountain lodge with cozy rooms, a huge fireplace in the diningroom, hearty morning buffet breakfast and great service. You really are in the middle of nowhere so there is peace and quite but no where else to go for your meals. That's ok, the lunch and dinner were great.
The bathrooms were clean but really could use upgrading. A little too rustic and small for my taste but I guess when you have log walls, it's hard to change things. We were on the third floor with a mountain view and the next day wondered what the lakeview rooms were like. The front desk staff were very accomodating and took the time to show us a couple of rooms.The lakeside rooms have a view of the glacier and Crowfoot mountain.
If your looking for peace and quite with lots of walking paths, this is the spot. You're a little trapped as the nearest town is half an hour away (Lake Louise) and even that is quite small.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skookum1
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Our group had been advised months before that a two choice menu at a fixed price including gratuities was available. Upon arrival the price was higher and we were advised gratuities would be extra.
Don't have the chicken (super bland), and get price quotes in writing.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank Swalli1
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We had a fairly large group of friends for a planned dinner at the Num ti Jah Lodge in September 2010. We had met weeks earlier with the owner to plan the event, and what we were told for a price, per person, and what we were charged, once we were all there, were two different things. Our friends were very gracious and did not hold it against us, but what could have been a totally positive experience left us all with a sour taste in the end.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank godavidgo
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We were going to travel to the lake from Calgary just for the day to take pictures but my husband decided that with the 3 hours each way, we may as well stay the night and really enjoy it. He got the full "Bow Lake Experience" package which provided all meals.

We arrived just before noon - turning that final bend and seeing the red roof in the trees was an exciting moment. The lodge, and the setting, was just as we'd expected. We went in to check out the lodge (Being more than 3 hours early for check-in) and the front desk offered that, although our room was obviously not ready, we could check in and get everything and not need to do that later on.

The fellow at the front desk saw my camera gear and immediately pointed out areas that would interest us. We let him know we had planned spending the time between now and supper up toward the icefield. He marked some great places on the map that we would never have thought of stopping at otherwise.

Meals were explained, we got our request for for our Sunday bagged lunch, and we were good to go. We went out exploring and returned about an hour before supper.

Supper was wonderful -again, the staff at this place is amazing. Friendly, outgoing, willing to share a laugh. Yes, it was a bit slow between courses but heck, we were there to relax and unwind. My husband and I enjoyed the time talking about our day and our plans for tomorrow.

I went out to take night shots of the lake at about 10pm. I like that there's a sign out list at the door so the folks know that you're out and where you are (and, probably, when to start worrying!). I came back in just past 11pm tired and chilly.

Rooms are nothing fancy. No TV, Phone, or internet. Not huge, not a Hilton by any means. However, I must say that the king size bed, the feather comforter, and pillows were a welcome sight. I had one of the best sleeps that I'd had in ages!

I was up at 5am to get sunrise pictures. Be warned, if you're the first person up and on a top floor, run that hot water a bit. Once I realized it'd be a bit to get hot water, I opened the fawcet, went out and got my gear together for the day, and came back to the bathroom as the hot water was just reaching me. The bathrooms are small and not fancy - but they do the job.

Coffee and tea is plentyful, available at all times in the games area, and free. At 5:20am, I loved them for this.

From 5am - 8am I stood out (in the snow, no less... in August) and got my pictures. My husband came out a few times with coffee to warm me, but it was a beautiful morning and I never saw another person at that hour out there.

When I came in I stuffed myself with amazing fresh fruit and this wonderful granola for breakfast. After the morning in the cold, it was well appreciated. I was just polishing off my fruit, enjoying my millionth coffee of the mornig, when our server presented the hot breakfast options! Oh my, that morning, I ate like a king.

Check out is 11am. I went to our room and gathered up my things. The plan was for me to head out for more pictures and my husband would stay in the library and read (the cold was a bit much for him). When he went down to check out, but explain that I was out taking pictures and would it be ok if he stayed in the library - he was told he could spend the extra few hours in the room if he wanted. Nice offer, but he declined, and enjoyed the comfy chairs in the library.

I arrived back close to 1pm and we enjoyed our bagged lunches (HUGE sandwhiches of our choice, a muffin, apple, and juice) and declared our weekend a success. I'd love to be able to go out every month!

Just to address some complaints I'd read before going out there:
- yes, the furniture is old. Is it "Breaking down, replace this garbage" old? No. It fits perfectly with the feel of a log cabin lodge
- you have to walk up the stairs. Yes you do. this over weight, out of shape, mid 40's woman survived the four whole floors of stairs... you should be ok with it too.
- Floor creek. Umm... yes. Beautiful old wooden buildings tend to do that.
- Bring your own food. Come on folks, we're in the wilderness. Missing your Big Gulp?? My husband and I brought a cooler with some pop and water. We brought assorted munchie food - chips, peanuts... We took the time to have a clue about where we'd be before we went.
-Small windows in rooms. I'm not even certian what to say about this. When I stay at the Westin in downtown Vancouver I have floor to ceiling windows with a view of the building next to me. This place has regular windows. I cannot imagine that anywhere would have a "bad" view but i did not spend much time in my room other than to sleep. I was out being PART of the view not sitting inside longing for a better one.

Like others have said, know where you're going and what to expect and you'll love this. It's a rustic old log building. The staff is amazing, if you chose the meal package, all your food is provided (if not, yeah, it's a little pricy). there is nothing fancy that travellers expect these days, but you are well taken care of. Go, get away from it all for a while - this is the place to do that.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple