“Maybe a nice place for special occasions, but value...?”

Vero Bistro Moderne
Reserve with OpenTable
Vero Bistro Moderne is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 4,060 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$16 - US$22
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Sunnyside
Cross street: Kensington Road
Description: With an atmosphere that breathes relaxed elegance, Vero Bistro presents a menu that defines inspired Italian Fusion Cuisine. Vero's Chef Jenny believes strongly in the importance of fresh, healthy food while supporting the local community and strives to create flavourful inspired cuisine using quality ingredients sourced from a variety of trusted local producers, Remarkable starters and plates designed for sharing are offered along side hearty entrees, such as the house made pasta, grass fed beef, seafood, lamb, chicken and duck, with many gluten-free options available. Featured small plates include, Meatball 'Bolognese', Signature Sweet Potato Gnocchi with wild boar bacon and gorgonzola, as well as more substantial offerings, such as the Grass Fed New York Steak w truffle parmesan frites, traditional agnolotti with bone marrow barbera reduction "The Seafood Platter". No Menu Tuesdays $45/guest Steak & Frites on Wednesdays 3 courses $45/guest Brunch Sat & Sun 10 AM-2 PM
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I know my husband will kill me to write this review because this is one of his favorite restaurants. I like their food and can appreciate the chef’s effort for trying to serve quality food, but just cannot justify the high price. We had a seafood platter for two, which is $140, and I thought that everything on the platter tasted pretty much the same - garlic and butter. With some appetizer and wine, we spent over $300 for two of us. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have any problem paying a top price for something that is worth it, but I just don’t feel that this restaurant is it. I go there to please my husband (he may have a totally different opinion than mine), but every time, I feel like I spent too much money afterwards.

Good:
- Certainly better food than what you get at franchise restaurants like Earl’s, Milestone, Moxies, etc.
- Service is also somewhat better and more intimate than franchise restaurants
- You could say it has a nice romantic ambiance

Bad:
- Food is good, but not good enough for the price
- Small place! Instead of being a nice & cozy initimate feeling, they crammed tables too close to each other - not enough private space.
- Parking is hard to find to find! I think there is a couple of parking spaces at the back of the restaurant (not 100%sure), but mostly we need to find a street parking in the busy area.
- Certainly not for kids

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank JapAnada
Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have written a number of reviews on Vero and always enjoyed it. I try not to write unnecessary or unhelpful reviews but after having Christmas Eve Dinner there, I simply could not resist. The dinner is a complete menu, and it was 85 dollars. Not cheap, but amazing value for the food, quantities, quality and service. It began with several open table appetizers. The foie Gras cotton candy was exceptional. Everyone loved the presentation and the tastes. There were semolina and corn fritters in a truffle sauce which were also amazing. Not to be outdone was the Crispy 64 degree Egg. We thought we might not like it, were we wrong. It was amazing with truffles. Main courses were served family style and included their steak and frites, wonderful, salmon with Brussel sprouts, and lobster cannelloni. All were outstanding and large amounts (we had left overs for several days). Dessert was Peppermint Gelato, everyone finished it all. Each of us thought the meal was outstanding. Jody was awesome as our server and Michael was great as always. I will say it again, 85 dollars is not inexpensive, but outstanding value and one of the most enjoyable meals we have ever had. If you see a full menu at Vero, do not hesitate to go.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We go to Vero quite often and are never disappointed. Chef Jenny has remarkable talent and the food,service and ambiance are excellent

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We attended an early seating of their Exquisite New Year’s Eve dinner. Chef Jenny, Michael, Jody and all the staff provided an impeccable service, one of the very best meal we’ve ever experienced. We would love to keep this neighborhood gem to ourselves but everyone should experience Jenny’s cooking. Thank you Jenny for sharing your love of food with us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Awesome place,quiet could actually visit with each other without yelling, food was great as well as the service

Date of visit: December 2018
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant