“I wanted to love it!”

Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary
Ranked #63 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I tried so hard not to be disappointed! I had a great experience with the reservation process, no surprises when we came to check in... and the gifts for the 2 kids were AWESOME. We were so excited to get into the room... my son is 4 and couldn't wait to see his bunk beds. He burst into the room ran straight to his room, but there were no bunk beds. There were 2 single beds that once were bunk beds and the ladder was underneath. He cried. I explained that maybe they had been broken and this is just what we got. He got over it quickly because he was still excited to have his own room in a hotel... something he'd never had before. They all got ready and headed down to the pool. Since it was -20 outside at the time, they must have been having troubles regulating the temps in the pool room, cause it was probably about -5 in there. So that was that. Small kids can't handle that, so we went back to the room. Got them ready for bed, and their TV didn't work. SIGH. There were 2 tv's so we dealt with it. The beds were comfy, the temperature was great (no loud heaters), we didn't hear much other noise (other than being next to the stairs... but even that wasn't bad). Next day, breakfast was stale bagels (husband said he enjoyed hot items) -- no yogurt or fruit besides oranges. Maybe a suggestion would be they need more healthy stuff for breakfast? -- Anyways, informed front desk of broken TV, set out my housekeeping thingy on the door and headed out for the morning - left at 8 am, came back at noon. Room had not been even touched... you know, except that they came into fix the TV. GREAT. Except whoever came in, touched several other things. Bedding moved, temperature in kids room turned down to COLD (blowing cold air) and it was 10 degrees in there when we got back. CREEPY! - I didn't want to over-react so I didn't call down about it... I was going to inform them later, but every time I went down they were busy. (forgot when we checked out). I later tracked down a housekeeper because I didn't want them to come and wake up the baby and got some new towels and gave them the garbage. Again, good nights sleep, comfy beds, no noise.. breakfast more of the same. Check out was quick and easy. The customer service was great. That definitely was not lacking. It was just all of the other things. I'm still rethinking if I am going to re-book for next month when we are in for a week on business again.

Room Tip: If you want the family suite and expect bunkbeds, maybe make sure in advance you are getting a room...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank truth123
SPISCGY, Front Office Manager at Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Dear truth123, thank you for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
I apologize if you might have experienced some setbacks resulting in not fully enjoyable stay, and would like to take some time to respond to some of your feedback. I am glad you and your family enjoyed the little touches to make this a pleasant stay; we try our best to provide that service to everyone that comes to stay with us. As you aware during your stay Calgary has experienced a cold snap resulting in a temperature dropping to a -40 during the day with the wind chill, being our pool are full floor to ceiling windows the temperature inside been effected, and resolved within same day. Our breakfast items are delivered to us every few days, unfortunately I do not have a reason to explain the “stale” bagels I do promise I will review the items in question personally. We recently introduced a few items to create more healthy options for our guest, we welcome suggestion for improving services provided at our hotel, if there are specific items you would like to see, please contact me so we can further discuss it. I was saddened to hear your son’s bunk bed excitement wasn’t met. Based on some feedback we received from our guests, some parents preferred bed closer to the floor; as a result we made some of our bunk beds into two twin beds to accommodate a wide variety of guests, same goes as far as our Housekeeping, their scheduled room service is from 8 am to 4 pm and our guarantee the rooms will be done during this time, If a guest has a time restraint on when their rooms to be done, we encourage them to inform front desk so we can accommodate such request. Furthermore I would like to assure you that when our engineering staff accessed your room the only reason anything was moved is to gain access to the TV unit. I have followed up with our engineering department regarding procedures we have in place to ensure a smooth and enjoyable stay for our guest.
I do hope to see you come and join us again and make sure that from this point on every stay with us will be fully enjoyable.
Sincerely Aj Lifshits Front Office Manager

There are newer reviews for Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary

Reviewed 15 January 2012

My children and i had a great overnight stay at this location. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the complimentary breakfast was awesome and the pool and waterslide kept the children amused for hours! The whole establishment was very clean, quiet and kid friendly. We will be using this inn again very soon! :)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank paula w
SPISCGY, Front Office Manager at Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

Dear Paula W,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad to know every one enjoined their stay and we are looking forward to seeing you and your family again.
Aj Lifshits

Reviewed 12 January 2012

I would like to complement Kevin, General Manager, A.J, Manager and Angela, assistant Manager and all other staff, and I like to thank each and every one of them to make my stay as comfortable as possible and make me feel like home. Offering free hot breakfast and Wednesdays corporate dinner is something that adds to the quality of this hotel and I would like to offer my excellent rating to this hotel and recommend it to every one to try out this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Abtahi
SPISCGY, Front Office Manager at Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Dear Abtahi, thank you for taking time and posting your kind review of our management and staff team, in this industry guest relation is paramount for success of a business. It’s always delightful to hear our loyal regulars refer to us as their home away from home, we strive to make every one staying with us feel as part of our extended family. Sincerely Aj Lifshits

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We spent one night at this hotel based on its proximity to people we were visiting. The family suite appealed to us as we were travelling with two small children. I have to say this has been on of the best hotel experiences we have had. The front desk handed out gifts for the kids. The room was clean & up-to-date with modern amenities. We were right by the elevator and the ice machine and it was still quiet. We went to the pool and were the only people using it. The waterslide was great and the hot tub was piping hot. We had the continental breakfast that was included with the rate. It was standard fare but what I really liked was the fact there were plenty of tables. We've stayed at similar hotels in the past and have ended up on floors with entire kids hockey teams and couldn't find a spot to sit to eat in the morning.
We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank kru73

Dear kru73, I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us. We are hoping to see you visit us again very soon.
Sincerely Aj Lifshits

Reviewed 15 December 2011

First time to try the Service Plus Inns and Suites and was pleasantly surprised. Very spacious room, firm but comfy king side bed offered a great nights sleep. Free wireless in the rooms, a large TV, workdesk to work from and couch that most likely turned into a bed offered all the space I needed. The bathroom was well lit and functional and offered thick, plush towels to use.

A free breakfast is offered though I didn't try it as I was gone before they opened at 6am. Close to a casino for the gamblers and other shopping as well. Located in a semi industrial area this is not down-town Calgary but perfect for what I needed.

Would and will stay here again (cheaper than the Deerfoot Inn & Casino but operated by the same people located up the street)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank IBSTECH

Dear IBSTECH, Thank you for the kind review on Trip Advisor, We strive in making our guests feel welcome and do everything in our power to make their stay comfortable and enjoyable. We looking forward in welcoming again to our hotel.
Sincerely Aj Lifshits

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I had a few reservations because of the SE location of the hotel, but we had no problems, and are staying again later this month. It is located in a business park, but not an industrial one. The room was great, room was also quiet, service was excellent, and the complimentary breakfast was great.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BarbLH
SPISCGY, Manager at Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

Dear BarbLH,
Thank you for taking the time to post your great feedback on our hotel, and i am glad to hear you enjoined your stay, We are looking forward in accommodating you in the near future.

Aj Lifshits
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 26 July 2011

I have stayed with the Service Plus in Calgary more than 100 times in the past 2 years. I have never been disappointed in the level of service, quality, value, and cleanliness. Rooms I have stayed in, the lobby and hall areas are always very clean and bright. The pool and waterslide are big enough to allow families and individuals to enjoy the perk.
Continental breakfast is well stocked, with a good variety of typical morning fare. Well staffed, and cleaned very quickly to allow more guests the opportunity to sit and gather thoughts before heading out to work or play.
Beds are always comfortable and fresh. Quality construction means "hall noise" is kept to a minimum. This can be hard to find. Trust me!
Overall, I have never had a complaint with my stays here. Any concerns I may have had, were quickly and correctly dealt with, to avoid any hardship on my part.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank roachman1962
SPISCGY, Manager at Service Plus Inns & Suites Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2011

Dear roachman1962
Thank you for your time in posting the review. It is always pleasure to receive such great feedback for one of our long term guests, and we assure you we will continue to provide this type of service in the future for you and and all of our guests coming to our hotel.
On behalf of all the Staff here we thank you.