“Great Place to Stay”
Review of The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary
Ranked #26 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 15 March 2012

The Westin Calgary was great. We had three little kids, and they immediately welcomed us by giving the kids children's packs with cute rubber ducks and night lights. They were a hit. They also upgraded our room at no charge, and they brought a cot for the third kid (also no extra charge). The cot was really great, not one of the flimsy ones that you sometimes get. This one was firm and comfy. Bedding was great all around. Service was excellent and all the staff were friendly and really wonderful. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a corner room, upgraded with a large bathroom and extra sitting room space.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Laura D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed 12 March 2012

We visited this hotel and we're so appreciative of the incredible service. At check in, the Westin employee noticed we had a lot of bags. He asked if our family would like more space and our teenage kids were thrilled. We only stayed one night but it was lovely. We all had lots of space to relax and we thoroughly enjoyed the heavenly beds!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Charmaine B
Reviewed 8 March 2012

i stayed here recently on a business trip and I was not impressed. The lobby is stunning and the staff are friendly, however, I am not impressed with the condition of the room. There was mould in the shower (see pic) and the fan vent looked liked it had never been cleaned (see picture). i was on the 3rd floor in the older wing (in an apparently upgraded room) but i could hear the water pipes with every flush on the floors above - if you are a light sleeper this becomes a problem. Can also hear too much traffic from the street.
You are paying a high price for the location - otherwise you might find better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: not sure if there is a good room here. Always find it noisy
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank SusanM643
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear SusanM643,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your guestroom experience in our business tower. The cleanliness issues you experienced are unacceptable and certainly not a reflection of our usual attention to detail and high standards of cleanliness. I have spoken with our Director of Housekeeping so that this may be addressd promptly. Please accept our apologies, and I do hope that you will be back again the next time you're in Calgary. Perhaps our main building would be worth a try on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Didier Luneau, General Manager

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great experience at the Calgary Westin. Even though I booked my reservation through hotwire, I still got my room upgraded plus some extras. Stayed on a weekend so this downtown hotel was relatively quiet. Front desk service was exceptional and really did their best to make sure my stay was a great experience even though I was only there for one night. Rooms are very clean with good furniture, bedding and quality bathing products (as you would expect from a Westin Hotel). Definitely my choice hotel for a pampered, mini-retreat that doesn't break the bank. Hot breakfast buffet also delicious (but pricey if it's not included with your room). Valet parking or parking the the underground lot is also expensive but I think consistent with other downtown hotels. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel for business travellers, couples, and those wanting to getaway for the weekend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank akchan7
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Clean, central and meets all of the needs of the business traveller to calgary. 20 minutes cab t airport and excellent front desk service. Room service food, while pricey, is fresh and well prepared. Bathrooms are simple yet functional. Only complaint - should be no fee for internet in room given room rate of more than $250/night. A solid night's stay.

Room Tip: All rooms face some sort of Calgary skyline, and being in downtown core there is always some noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Girly-Avanter
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Westin Calgary is the epitome of your average downtown big city hotel. The decor is all updated and modern, so nothing to complain about there. The room was nicely appointed but not exceptional.
Bed was comfy, nice linen, nice flat screen TV and inroom Starbucks coffee. The downfall of the room was the bathroom. Nicely reno'd and decorated but so small it was frustrating. You couldn't bend down to pick up a dropped item without banging some body part of something in the cramped space. There was only a shower and while it looked nice, once you get in you realize that their attempt at modern aesthetic is a terrible design as all the water that hits you, then bounces off you and through the open shower stall (they chose not to install a door or curtain) and floods the tiny bathroom. And I mean FLOOD. Of the three large bath towels in the bathroom, 1 was for me and 2 for sopping up the soaking wet floor.
After 3 showers over 3 days I was pretty much done with the annoyance of wading through a big pool of water after every shower.
Staff was friendly and helpful and gave good service. I used the internet in room and wasn't charged which was a nice bonus as they do advertise a fee for inroom wireless.
There is starbucks in the lobby which was convenient in the morning on the way to meetings.
I liked the feature of being able to turn down maid service and you get a $5 dollar voucher which I promptly spent on that premeeting coffee a Starbucks.
The room had a safe, robe, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, toiletries, in room coffee, a small fridge and complimentary bottled water.
Overall a pleasant hotel, well located (Took me about 8 mins to walk to Stephen Avenue), nice staff, just an unfortunate bathroom design in the room I had on the 14th floor.

Room Tip: Ask to face towards Eau Claire, the view was lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Laura_Alberta
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed at the Executive Junior Suite for 10 days as I was in Calgary on business. I think it is a good hotel for business travelers. The room was very large and the bathroom was also gigantic. The sofa in front of the bed was very nice. Rooms are clean. The room became my home away from home. Staff are friendly. The breakfast at the coffee shop downstairs is very tasty. I love the fried eggs and bacon. Starbucks is also located next to the lobby and is very convenient. The hotel is connected by indoor heated walkways with the rest of the downtown buildings and it makes it very convenient to walk to other buildings for business meetings. Overall, I recommend anyone to stay at this hotel if you are doing business in Calgary!

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor so you get a quieter room, away from the street traffic.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business