“Could have been better...”

Holiday Inn Calgary Airport
Ranked #62 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Could have been better...”
Reviewed 30 March 2012 via mobile

Had several issues and it took several complaints to get them resolved. Rooms were clean and overall the staff was friendly and helpful. My big complaint is that it's been over a week since I've left and I can't get a copy of my bill, since this is business it's money from my pocket until I can turn it in!

Returning to area soon, staying at another hotel this time...

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank MachineGuy
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Thank you for your taking the time to post your comment regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. I would like to apologize for the amount of time it has taken for you to recieve your reciept from your last stay. Our system has been down and our I.T. Department has been working around the clock to try and get our system up and running again.

Once our system has been restored we will be emailing your reciept to you. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and we appreciate your patience in this matter.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We had a one night stay here due to a delayed flight. The front desk staff were courteous and competent, and we were given a room on the second floor. At the restaurant, we had dessert in the evening and breakfast the next morning. The prices were reasonable, the food was average, and I have no complaints about the waitstaff. The rooms were large and clean, and ours came with a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. They also have a free shuttle to and from the airport. In the morning, pick up times are every 45 minutes and you have to book your shuttle time in advance. The only inconvenience is that even though it's called the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, it is quite a distance away from the airport - the travel time was over 15 minutes when taking Deerfoot Trail. Overall, I was happy with my stay and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winedineexplore
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel on February 29th, 2012. We booked the room several weeks before our trip, but were not told that the hotel was undergoing renovations. When we got to the hotel, we were given a room on the same floor and just across the hall from the renovations. The hall was full of drywall dust and just filthy, We complained and were told the hotel was full and there were no more king beds, but after much complaining by the front desk staff, we were offered a room with two queens on the floor below the renovations and directly below the renovated rooms. There was an awful buzzing noise that went off every few seconds, so we again asked for a change of rooms, and told the staff we didn't want a room near the renovations. They gave us a hard time, and told us the reno’s wouldn't start until 10 in the morning - but one of the staff told us they would start before 10. Our plane wasn't leaving until the afternoon, so this wasn't impressive to us. Before our rooms was changed, the supervisor came up to our room to check out the noise (as if she didn't believe us) and then amazingly we were moved to a larger room with a king bed that was in a different part of the hotel. The customer service was terrible. There is no excuse for putting someone in a room across the hall or just below renovations.

As for the rooms themselves, they are not great. The room we finally slept in had been renovated, and it was just a patch up job. There were new furnishings, but not a new mattress - which needed replacing. The bathroom had wallpaper that was already starting to peel, and the bathtubs and tub surrounds are in great need of being replaced and the rooms were not particularly clean. The only reason we stayed in this hotel was because our regular hotel was booked. We won't be back.

Room Tip: There are currently renovations being carried out in the hotel. Request a room in a different part...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank LifesABeach86
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Calgary Airport. We would like to aplogize for not being able to deliver the type of customer service that Holiday Inn is well known for throughout the world. We have taken immediate steps to ensure that this incident does not happen again. I hope that when you are in Calgary again, that you will provide us with another oppourtunity to provide you with the customer service that you are accustomed to when you are staying at a Holiday Inn or any IHG Hotel.
Ontario Keep it Beautiful
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Booked this hotel a week before my trip and was pleased with the result! Hotel is well located, central to both the airport and city. Restaurant and Bar were clean with a good family-oriented menu. Prices were reasonable and while the service may not have been 6 star, the staff were attentive and very pleasant. The rooms on the 5th floor were under renovation - I had a newly renovated room and it was upscale, clean and comfortable.
Front desk staff were very accommodating, friendly and helpful. There was a nice small, fitness center and hot tub. I used the Airport shuttle (24 hour/7 day service) and have absolutely no criticism of this property - book there and stay without worry!

Room Tip: ask for 5th floor renovated room!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank yachti
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The hotel is what it is, cheap and basic. Stay satisfactory, room clean. When needs must its ok

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank FiGi003
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Booked the "Stay and Park" - one night at the hotel and 14 days parking included. Nice hotel. Very helpful, friendly staff. Comfortable room, bed, bath. There was a coffee maker, microwave, frig and small sink just outside the bathroom. Didn't use the pool, exercise or restaurant. The one negative was no one to help with bags. The shuttle was prompt and timely.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AB_Travel
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This was my first visit to this hotel as I am new to canada, and unfortunatly it will be my last. I got back from work late but didn't stop for food as I the hotel information booklet says food till 11:00pm. I rang room service at 10:43 but got no answer so I went to the bar and was told the kitchen was closed, I went back to the room to confirm the booklet said food till 11, then tried to ring the front desk but again got no answer from here as either. I went to the front desk and asked why the kitchen was closed and was told it closed at 10:45, when I queried this, I was told I shold have been informed at checkin. When I stated that I did ring room service before this time and obviously they ingnored it, they offered to ring the chef but it was to late.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Colin D
Noel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Thank you for bringing this incident to my attention. We were fortunate to still have you inhouse and I was able to speak to you personally about the hours of our restaurant. I have been able to speak to all my restaurant staff regarding this issue and I am confident that this incident will not happen again to any of our guests in the future. We look forward to serving you again during your next stay with us.