“Poor service & management unreasonable!!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Geraldton, Canada
“Poor service & management unreasonable!!”
Reviewed 27 May 2011

My son was booked from May 26th to June 02nd, 2011 to attend the Scotiabank Marathon which is being held on May 29th. Due to some unexpected issues he had to cancel his trip. Booked him on the next flight back to Thunder Bay on May 28th then called the front desk and explained to them the situation. I was told that I needed to speak with the manager to get my son his refund. I also dealt with Charlotte and I believe this women needs to get some schooling on PR because she was pretty pathetic. Was told that my son could use the credit for the next 60 days but would not refund him his money. I informed her that after he checks out they are going to be rebooking his room. People please however reads this review take my advice do not book at this motel!! By the way he was charged $1030.00 which she informs me was a good deal.

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank shiner3
HIECalgarySouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. As we discussed, your sons reservation was booked as an “Advance Purchase” discount rate. The terms for this discount are: This rate is nonrefundable, requires full prepayment, and is charged to your credit card. Modifying, canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit” These terms are clearly laid out on the website used to reserve the room. I understand that your sons travel plans changed and again advise you to contact your travel insurance provider to see if they are able to assist you in recovering any hotel and airline cancelation penalties you incurred as a result.

We believe that our cancellation policy is more generous than most, particularly in our offer of accommodation credit. While we always regret imposing cancellation and no-show penalties. We have found it necessary to manage our inventory and provide the best possible service to our guests. It also allows us to maintain our policy of not overbooking the hotel in busy periods. We prefer to guarantee our guests the accommodation they have reserved. It also allows us to predict our staffing levels, and set competitive room rates without building in a cost to cover the expense of no-shows and cancellations.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment, I wish you and your family peace during this difficult time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I've used the ICH group of hotels for three years now and never had such a poor experience with management as with this one. Upon check-in for a 6 day stay, it was found that I had inadvertently booked two identical rooms. I explained this was a mistake per our new travel system at work and the front desk staff said that this would be taken care of, no problem. Only to find out two days later that the Manager, Charlotte Cronin, was intending to charge me. This manager also claims to be the owner of the property, Stanley Park Investment LTD. Her only offer was to provide a 'free' night within 60 days, I said please apply this to my last night. She wouldn't. She also claimed that the hotel was full but when I was checking in, a person behind me in line was requesting a room and was turned away! If this person is truly the owner of this establishment, then I would steer clear of it. It is unfortunate that a large chain like this works so hard on customer service only to have individuals like this give it a black eye. I told everyone in my organization about this service and I know of at least one co-worker that has changed his reservation. Not what you should expect when away on a business trip and a frequent traveler.

My money was all that she cared about.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FrequentTravelerDino

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Stayed Dec 25/10 for one night. All was average except the breakfast which was poor to say the least. The hotel was rather busy and the breakfast staff outright refused to replenish the breakfast bar. Guests were left with toast and fruit as their choices. Not what one expects from a HIE!!

I advised trhe front desk and they indicated that the breakfast bar should be fully avaialble and stocked until breakfast of officially finished serving. This was not the case. The front desk staff aplogized, however that provided little consolation as my family and I searched for a Smittys or Perkins close by

Not good!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank DJRCanada
HIECalgarySouth, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
Thank you for the review. I apologize that our limited Holiday breakfast on Christmas did not satisfy your family. Our goal is for everyone to leave our hotel satisfied and I am sorry that we missed the mark during your stay. I hope that someday you will give our hotel another chance and enjoy our full breakfast buffet which includes fluffy scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, bacon and sausage, sticky-sweet cinnamon rolls, an assortment of fresh fruits, yogurt, and breakfast cereals and breads, fruit juices, 2% and skim milk, and our very own 100% Arabica Smart Roast Coffee. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2011

My family and I have stayed at this hotel several times in the last year. The first time, there were no problems and it was a very pleasant stay, minus their so called 'breakfast.' The second time we had unfortunate timing and ended up staying with 100 young children whose family brought the whole household including their animals. We were given a room on the same floor. Unable to sleep from loud tv's, children screaming at the top of their lungs, and the constant barking from several cooped up dogs. We complained and they tried to give us another room, but were unable. They offered us a discounted room for our next stay. We accepted and figured we would give them the benefit of the doubt. So on our next stay, we had gotten a suite to accommodate our large family. We had two beds, and a pull out sofa. When we pulled out the sofa we were alarmed to find blood and urine stains on the mattress. ( The cleaning staff had not even put clean sheets onto the mattress) So yet again we go and complain and we were given a set of sheets and a muttered sorry. Unsatisfied with their apologies, we asked that we were given another room to sleep in, but no other suites were available, so we asked if we could get a free room for people who were stuck sleeping on the pull out sofa. The front desk clerk said she could not a decision without the approval of her manager who was not in, and she would let us know when she got a hold of him. Half hour later, they were unable to talk to the manager, and basically told us to suck it up and sleep on the disgusting mattress. We would not have it, and demanded a room, which they complied. But, once we had gotten into the next room it smelt of mold and the bathroom was disgusting. So, one good stay does not make up for the unacceptable service and cons of this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank TanyaHanBra
Thank you for the review We appreciate the honest feedback and use it to measure our strengths and weaknesses. We hope that you will stay at our hotel in the near future. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Ok I admit it I am member of their rewards program so I get a little extra special treetment at Holiday Inns. even taking that into account I love staying at this hotel the staff are so friendly and helpfull but they never seem rushed even when the hotel is packed full. the breakfast is great ( i make my own mcmuffin with the omlets and the sausage from the buffet) not a fan of the cinnimon buns but good for a sugar rush. the hotel renovated alot and the pool, fitness center and top floor rooms look great. id tell you the best rooms to ask for but then you might be in it when I want it back! But better than all that is the internet access. In 15 stays this year I havent had a single problem. Using right now......... yup still here.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank trafficlightsss
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled
to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.”
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We were in a bind and needed a place to stay for a few days. The Holiday Inn accommodated us for everything, even giving up a suite! The room was amazing, beds comfy, and the breakfast was awesome. It was an easy walk to the mall across the highway (there is a walkway going over it) and other stores and restaurants right next door. The staff at the hotel is amazing and very helpful. Highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nelliebly1025
HIECalgarySouth, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this review, 4 November 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post about your stay with us. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of our hard work. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. We look forward to hosting you again on your next stay in Calgary.
alberta, canada
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Never having stayed in Calgary before and unfamiliar with the area, we found this hotel to be the most reasonably priced for the area. We needed to book last minute and hadn't had a think to eat all day. Arrived after midnight on October 22 and were welcomed by a most accomedating gentlemen. He offered us some fresh fruit , bagels and muffins as the kitchen was closed. He deserves the highest of compliments as we were completely exhausted, hungry and stressed from our day. Thank you...whoever you were. If ever given the chance again I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel in fact it would be the first place I would try and get into. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank albertaclipper
Thank you for posting! It makes my day when guests take the time to record their good experiences at our hotel. I will make certain the employee knows that his efforts were appreciated. Thank you again and We look forward to serving you in the future.