“Great Stay for World Junior Hockey!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #76 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Red Deer
“Great Stay for World Junior Hockey!”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We used this hotel as our base while attending the World Junior Hockey tournament early in January. We had an excellent stay. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were large and clean, and our kids really enjoyed the pool area. There are many restaurants nearby and it is quite handy to the C-Train. I would stay here again any time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
St. Albert, Alberta
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Our sports team stayed here Jan 20-22, 2012. We were all very pleased with the size of the rooms, cleanliness of rooms and common areas, complimentary breakfast which included scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, cereal, pancakes, juice, yogurt, fruit. Certainly helps on the cost of a tournament when at least one meal is covered. There was also a good selection of family oriented restaurants in the area and we were close to some very good shopping.
Beds were comfortable and the hotel was very quiet despite all the kids there during our stay. Overall we felt the hotel was a good choice for our needs.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed over-night here based on a crap shoot as we didn't know the layout of the city but knew we'd pass through on our way west. We found it in a nice area of town located near some main arteries. The staff were friendly and the pool/slide/hot tub were all in regular working order. The hours of the pool area are better than normal too. The morning breakfast was great as usual for an HI Exp. One small complaint was that the wife thought there was a vomit smell somewhere near her pillow. I never got a whiff. We mentioned it to staff in the morning and they said they would advised cleaning staff. (We're a family of 6)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Edmonton
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We chose this hotel primarily for the pool. Since we arrived the pool has been freezing cold, even too cold for the kids to swim in, and the hot tub is the temperature the cold pool should be. On the Sunday night of the long weekend, the staff told me that they had started heating the pool 2 hours earlier so it would take a while to warm up. A little late to start heating the pool?! The breakfast was fairly good, but if you want cinnamon rolls or bacon, better be downstairs early. It says breakfast is served until 9:30, but if you come after 9 be prepared for a limited selection. On a more positive note, we were upgraded to a larger suite and the staff have been friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Great location in south Calgary, with both smoking, and non smoking rooms. Check in was quick, and efficient and the room was large and clean. Better than average breakfast with my favorite litte cinnamon buns.

Room Tip: Priority Club Number, it's free
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I am disappointed at the lack of responsibilty taken for the hotels service. I booked a 2 night stay and upon arrival was told that they only had a smoking room available. I attempted to check to see if it was bad and discovered there was no way I could sleep in the room. Be advised (new information to me) they do not guarentee non-smoking though they ask at the reservation. It was past the cancellation time and I asked if I could call them and cancel within the hour. They said ok.

Find out later they charged me, changed their story, and continuosly change their story. Not once have I heard an apology or any attempt at remidiation. I know that it was past 6pm, and understand their cancellation policy. I however do not understand how I would possibly know that the room they put me in was smoking and unacceptable before I arrived, therefore I had no alternative but to not saty there.

I am a frequent traveller and mistakes and situations happen and I believe that it is ok. However, this is the worst service I have ever recieved from the top. This is a franchise, and the owner will take no responsibility. I advise do not to stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Elk Valley, B. C.
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I had a very pleasant stay at this property. I arrived late without a reservation and got a good rate and even an upgrade as I was a Priority Points member: a small suite with kitchenette and sitting room and separate bedroom. There were lots of kids this weekend but it was surprisingly quiet. I thought the breakfast was very generous, with hot entrees, not just continental breakfast. Check in and out staff were very pleasant. Getting in and out of the property off Macleod Trail is a bit awkward. I will book again in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo