“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Victoria, Canada
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Just spent a night at this hotel on Sunday, August 21st. I was extremely happy with all the front desk staff both at check in and check out. They couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. I appreciated the lobby computer to enable me to send a quick email home to stay I arrived safely. The room was very clean and I was on the Macleod Trail side but the traffic didn't keep me awake at all. Large room but I really would have appreciated a bar size fridge in the room. Breakfast was decent and I enjoyed their coffee.

The only negative thing was the breakfast server person who was refilling all the jams and jellies but put her tray on top of all the dishes and I had to wait 5 minutes (standing next to her) for a plate. I could have told her to move but hoped she would be a little more aware, apparently not.

Wake up call was entetered correctly and received. The clock/alarm sounds a lot like a fire alarm (it really does) and I seriously thought it was a fire alarm (I was in the bathroom at the time). I ran out ready to evacuate when I realized what it was. Well it would certainly wake you up I guess. Just a hint, turn it to radio or just order a wake up call. No point in scaring yourself silly.

Still for the great front desk staff and the room itself I give this a solid 4 out of 5.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Baxterthetravelguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We booked this hotel to go to the Stampede. It is very convenient for this as it is only 1 stop on the C Train, and a bout a 10 minute walk to the station from the hotel. It is also cheaper than the downtown hotels. If you are not going to the Stampede you may want to stay downtown though. Several of the car hire companies are based within 5 minutes walk of the hotel, including Thrifty, Hertz and Avis.

The room was spacious - and had everything that we needed. The hotel itself is nothing special, but the staff are very friendly. They also returned my wife's purse to me, full of cash, that we did not even know was missing.

We also visited the Heritage Park, and the station (39th street I think it was called) was also convenient for that

Free wireless internet was a bonus.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Starkraving
North Battleford, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed here for 2 days when I had to pick my son up from Calgary Airport, and wanted somewhere to stay after the drive from the Battlefords to Calgary.

This hotel was very pleasant, free parking was ample. We booked a Jacuzzi Suite so it was a bit pricier @ $199 per night (with CAA discount). The suite was huge, in one room was a tv, the kitchenette, a pull out bed and flat screen tv; the other bedroom had a queen sized bed, huge bathroom with double sink, toilet, shower and tub. The toilet was placed just a bit too far away from the sink under which the toilet rolls were, so you have to reaaaaallly stretch to get the loo roll if you are sat on the throne, which is awkward unless you have arms like a gorilla.

The kitchenette area was very sparse, no plates, no cutlery, no cups, nothing. The coffee machine was ridiculously small. If you arent going to provide a restaurant at the hotel, but you do provide a kitchenette, you should certainly provide all that kind of stuff, plus a microwave so people can at least eat something other than local take away. And if they do get a takeaway, they cant eat it because there is no cutlery or plates. As for the coffee machine, it is far too small, it would be better if they provided a coffee machine that can serve at least two to three cups at a time.

The hotel does have a pool and a hot tub, which was nice and relaxing. The staff are all incredibly helpful here which makes your stay a lot more pleasant. Customer service is a dying art, but the staff here all have a degree in it! They cant do enough for you.

Although this hotel is on a main road with the LRT behind, we were not disturbed by any noise at all and had two very good nights' sleep.

The only thing about this hotel that we didnt like was no restaurant and no bar; it might be an idea if they could extend towards the car park to accommodate a kitchen, restaurant and bar area then this would be perfect. There is also no room service. You can obtain alcohol using Dial-a-Bottle, and the hotel do recommend a local takeaway restaurant called Mannies but it is very expensive and Greek orientated which might not be everyone's cup of tea. There is an A&W's within walking distance of the hotel, and a Tim Hortons. The room prices should perhaps be reduced as there are no facilities for eating and drinking at the hotel apart from vending machines, and you do, after all, pay for all the amenities available at the hotel, of which room service and a restaurant/bar are normally a given.

We would stay here again and may well be doing so in the near future when my son flies back to the UK.

Room Tip: Mention your CAA card if you have one at time of booking.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank FoxyFi23
New Lenox, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

This hotel was a pleasure to stay at. The price was reasonable compared to other Calgary Hotels. The location was located on a major road. Parking was free. The room was decent and the hotel service was good. Our only complaint was there wasn't anything decent to walk to near the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank cwillini
Saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed here in late April, and I had *extremely low* expectations. A Best Western 30 feet off Macleod Trail, I figured we could bear it for the night we had to stay there. Wow, was I wrong!

Check in was a breeze, and Dan at the desk was very pleasant and helpful. He recommended Smuggler's Cove for a place to eat, and not only did we have an awesome night at the hotel, we had an awesome meal as well! Every request was answered promptly and he went above and beyond to boot.

We booked four rooms. All were very clean and comfortable, and we all had an excellent night's rest. I was worried about traffic noise, but we were on the back side of the hotel. Then I spotted the LRT out the window and figured we were screwed either way. Nope - didn't hear a thing.

We utilized the pool in the evening, and although there were screaming kids (to be expected in a pool at a hotel, I think) the facility was clean, towels were supplied, there was a shower right there to hose the chlorine off, and there were both a separate shallow pool for smaller children and a hot tub that was clean and kept @ 104 degrees. Absolute perfection!

It's not exactly a restaurant, but breakfast was supplied in the morning, eggs, sausage, and all the other regular fixings, It was a tasty breakfast, and far more than I get at the Days Inn in Saskatoon where they give you cold cereal and coffee.

Departure was just as easy and pleasant as the check in was, and I had no troubles at all with my vehicle having been parked in their free lot overnight.

The *only* negative thing I have to say about our stay is that I couldn't pick up their wireless internet in our room, but there was a corded connection in the room that worked fine, and the internet was included in the room rate as well. Lots of other hotels are charging up to $20 a day for internet access, so this was really appreciated.

We'll never stay anywhere else in Calgary again. It's a can't-miss!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
13 Thank SaskatchewanTripster
Golden, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

When I stay in Calgary I always stay at the Best Western MacLeod Trail.
They have very low staff turnover, and the folks at the front desk always remember me and are so pleasant, particularly Dan. I actually look forward to checking in and chatting with the staff
The room is very clean, and plugging in my laptop this evening behind the bed there is not a hint of dirt - usually a spot that is overlooked.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
8 Thank alpinevalerie
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

Stayed here while attending the Calgary Motorcycle show. The rates we received we amazing and I was not expecting any frills. To my surprise, this hotel exceeded my expectations. Hotel was clean and pleasant. Staff were friendly, beds were comfortable, rooms were spacious. Pool was nice along with the hot tub. Exercise equipment was in need of repair. Only one elevator serving the hotel. Continental breakfast meet our expectations and the room were breakfast was held was clean and well supplied. Will stay here again and would recommend for travelers on business or just passing through

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business