“Great value!”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University
Ranked #79 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I was very impressed with the cleanliness, comfort and atmosphere of this hotel. I thought it was very good value for the $70-80/night I paid. I've stayed on two separate occasions for 3-5 nights. Front desk staff is professional, friendly and quick. Great location, just a block from the train and the stadium. 20 min walk to the U of Calgary.
It is an econolodge, so the towels aren't that fluffy, and the breakfast isn't worth getting up for. Nothing luxurious, but its no fuss, quiet and comfy. My first choice when i need a place in Calgary.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed for 1 night here as everything nearby was booked up. Service at desk was lacking on arrival. Clerk had other things to worry about rather than customers.

Rooms were daily clean but dated and bathroom was looking a bit tired with loose caulking. Beds were clean but sheets / duvet were low quality materials.

Continental breakfast was a big disappointment as there was no regular coffee left or muffins when we arrived "late" at 8 am. Anyway, I am sure Tim Hortons serves better fair down the road.

I would only stay here again if I could not find another room in the area.

I guess at $95 / night I cannot complain too much. That seams to be a deal on Calgary.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank meal_reviewer37
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Hello

Thank you so much for taking to time to write a review for us. Reviews like this one are instrumental to helping us reflect on our operations.

I sincerely apologize that your experience with our front desk was not favorable. Our front desk staff is at the desk 24 hours a day to assist with any questions you may have.

Our complimentary Bright Starts Breakfast features a variety of muffins, we do apologize that some muffins are more popular than others. We make every effort to ensure that our breakfast items are fully stocked. Our breakfast items include: A variety of cereal, bread, and muffins. You can round off your breakfast with coffee, tea, juice, and seasonal fruit.

We put great effort into making sure our rates our the most competitive in the area, this allows our valued guests to spend the night, not a fortune!

The general manager of the hotel would like to speak with you personally, so she can further discuss your concerns. We love hearing feedback such as yours, so we can better train our staff to help our guests. Please contact her at (403) 289-1921.

Sales & Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 14 February 2012

This budget motel is located in the 'Motel Village' on Banff Trail in Calgary: easy accessible but what a sad little stretch of town! It's location (close to light rail, hospital & several shops) should help, but doesn't add to the fact that the hotels/motels in this area are built to close to each other. No You'll look into the room of the Hampton Inn on one side and into the rooms of another motel on the other side. Luckily for us it was just a 1 night stop before flying back home.

Frontdesk girl wasn't very welcoming: might have been the end of her workday? Because of it's location right next to the vending/ice machine (REALLY next to your roomdoor!), we switched from the reserved 2Q efficiency suite to a standard 2Q. On check out we were told that our rate (with AAA discount) couldn't be adjusted to the lower rate, which cost us the price-difference of C$30 .. Made me wonder if I could have gotten the lower rate if I had tried to book it myself by internet and had cancelled my own reservation (we arrived well before 6pm)!

A 2Q room is pretty small, but the beds were ok and it had a little fridge, microwave & coffeemaker. WiFi worked pretty well and was rather fast. Continental BF was just the basics (juice/coffee+tea/pastries&muffins/toast/cereals and some fruit) and the BF area is a bit small. Didn't use the pool/hottub, but it looked oke. Parking may be a bit thight when the motel is fully booked or when you arrive late. The motel offers rooms with exterior corridors (accessible by stairs) as well as rooms with interior corridors (accessible by an elevator).

This was the first time I stayed in an Econo Lodge from this chain and I just wasn't impressed!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anika43
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Hello

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about us. Reviews like yours are extremely helpful, and it really lets us look at the way we operate, in order to help guests in the future. I would like to offer my apologies that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us.

We are located in Motel Village that is known for its variety of hotels, within close proximity to restaurants, the University of Calgary, Foothills Hospital, the Alberta Children’s Hospital, and is located directly on the LRT line.

I’m glad that you brought this issue with your room to our attention and I’m glad we were able to switch your room. Our 3 efficiency suites, that are located in the tower section of the hotel, are at the end of each hallway, because they are larger than our standard room. Our room rates are based on a number of factors, availability, amenities, supply and demand. The management would love to discuss your concerns with the rate.

Our Bright Starts breakfast is a breakfast, yet a fantastic way to start your day. We have – 3 different varieties of cereal, 3 different kinds of bread, 3 different types of muffins, and 3 different Danishes. We also offer coffee, tea, juice, and seasonal fruit. The breakfast we offer is above the Econo lodge brand standards for breakfast

Again, please feel free to contact us; we can be reached (403) 289-1921 or econobanfftrail@shaw.ca

Sales & Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 12 February 2012

After booking a room online (through a third party) I mistakenly booked a smoking room and Loreta at the front desk had zero customer service when she informed us we had to pay an extra $10 to switch. The room prices were identical, it was a Sunday with few guests but Loreta hid behind "policy" and has lost our business at any Econo Lodge forever. I have been to 25 countries and this is the worst front desk experience in my life.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Pros:
1. Close to the U of C nd C-train
2. Relatively inexpensive
3. Newer rooms in the tower
4. Very clean (rooms in the tower)
5. Good pool and Gym
6. Fast Internet
7. Fridge and microwave in every room

Cons:
1. Carpets smell like they are just off chemical plant
2. Reception is under-stuffed
3. Breakfast is continental and not a lot of choice (but has apples, which is nice-at last some fruits)
4. Gym is missing dumbbells
5. Hot tub is barely working (weak streams)
6. There will be some cigarette smell even in non-smoking rooms
7. No connecting rooms provided to our family :(

Oerall, if you et a good price-it's ok to stay there. It is one of the best you can get on Banff. trail or whatever is the address.

Room Tip: choos the tower if you wish newer rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MarAndr
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about us!

We are glad that you noticed that our rooms are clean! We have one the Alberta Hotel And Lodging Associations Housekeeping 5 years in a row, including 2011! During the winter, we take time to fully deep clean each of our guests rooms, which would account for the strange chemical smell. Our front desk is manned 24 hours a day, should this occur again, call the front desk, and we will be glad to go out of our way to make your stay enjoyable.

In recent weeks we have been under staffed at our front desk, however we are now in the process of training some new helpful front desk agents.

All of the rooms in our tower are non-smoking, however sometimes a guest smokes in the room. When this happens, a $200 dollar reconditioning fee is charged, so we can go to extensive lengths to remove the smoke smell from the room.

Our gym is missing dumbbells, however we do have state of the art cardio equipment.

If you have any further concerns, we encourage you to contact the hotel!

EconoLodge Inn & Suites
Sales & marketing Coordinator

Reviewed 19 January 2012

It's not the best, it's true, but this motel looks better than area motels' average. I had a room in main building, at first look seems to be OK. Breakfast is served in a nice area, large room with TV, fireplace, comfortable tables and chairs.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank titibi
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I was just after a room that was reasonably priced and that would give me a comfortable place to rest after some long driving. It served its purpose. It was clean and it was comfortable but apart from that nothing special. Typical of an Econo Lodge.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo