Book now! This hotel is likely to sell out soon.
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
TripadvisorUS$59
Algotels
StayForLong
Hotels.com
All reviews c train pancake machine hard boiled eggs breakfast room desk staff mini fridge cereal kitchenette treadmill properties sofa
Selected filters
Reviewed October 2, 2016 via mobile

Let's start with the fact that the a bar of soap from the previous guest, with hair, was still in the soap dish when I arrived. Let's then add that at midnight, a clock radio started blaring from an unoccupied adjoining room for precisely one hour (probably was unplugged by a guest, thoughtlessly plugged back in by cleaning staff without checking to see if the alarm was in the "off" position.) Rusting metal straps held the baseboard heaters in place in both the washroom and main room. You get the picture.

There are many hotel choices on this street, of varying quality and price. This facility truly puts the "econo" in Econo Lodge. The price point is low, no question. However the room, or at least some of the rooms, make it clear why this is the case. I gather that there are newer rooms than the one I stayed in. My portion of the building was at the back of the lot. My room was old, with dated furnishings, a distinct lack of electrical outlets, and a fraying carpet. I ended up sleeping on top of the bed in my own sleeping bag. I just did not have a good feeling about this place. At all.

Checking out after a miserable night - my neighbours were up till 2am, and there is little to filter out noise between rooms - I was not asked by staff at all about how my stay was. I suppose they knew better than to pose such a question.

Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank anacreon100
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2016

Thank you for your comments and we're sorry to hear you're unhappy. Your comments have us concerned as we have no records showing that there were any issues with your room; cleanliness or noise. We do note that we called your room around 6pm to see if everything was satisfactory and our agent left you a voicemail and didn't hear back. We do have staff on 24 hours to ensure that if you have problems with the quality, cleanliness or noise in your room they can meet your needs and you can have a great stay. We do apologize for failing to exceed your expectations and hopefully we can have the chance to show you a better stay the next time you are in Calgary.

Reviewed September 28, 2016

Located short walk from great shopping and eating. Vicinity has good vibes. Staff were courteous and were able to give detailed directions for destinations within the City.

Room interior was 33 degrees C (91 degrees F) when I arrived (mid-September!) and it took two hours to reach a bearable temperature.
Fit & finish old and tired but I guess in line with price.
There was no inspection certificate visible in the elevator.

Given a similar opportunity I would consider one of the adjacent hotels (there are several nearby) and pay a little more.

Room tip: Choose an east facing room (unless you like it hot!), east view is pleasant.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Ted E

Thank you for your comments and we're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. We can assure you that our elevator is inspected every month and our inspection certificate is on the premises. Thank you again and we hope your next stay in Calgary is a pleasant one!

Reviewed September 25, 2016

We stayed here just before flying from Calgary and it was great having free parking. Good value for money for a motel room and the rooms were clean and tidy which was perfect for a short stay. There were local places to eat nearby as well so we popped into Boston Pizza which is a short 5 minute walk away. The staff were very friendly and our flight time had changed and they were very accommodating and let us check out a little later than the usual time.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosie H
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2016

Thank you for your comments and we're glad to hear you had a good stay with us. We look forward to providing you with the same pleasant accommodations the next tiem you're in town!

Reviewed September 22, 2016

We were pleasantly surprised to find this hotel was everything we had read about and more. Our room was large, clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was very polite and helpful. The location was good, not right in the city, but not far from anything we wanted to see and do. They also provided a decent continental breakfast.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda S
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2016

Thank you for sharing and we're always glad to hear we have exceeded guests expectations! We can't wait to show you another great stay the next time you come to Calgary!

Reviewed September 22, 2016 via mobile

Cold rainy Canadian night - and the heating did not work at all. Thin comforter blanket did not help much.
Next morning they checked the heater - yup it's broken.
I am staying for the week, so I need a room with a heater.
But they could not understand when I asked for help moving my room. The manager was useless and of course unfriendly. Their heating problem became my problem.
Nice place but good luck if you have any problems
And PS - the "free" breakfast is as bad as you'd expect. What batch of chemicals do they make the muffins from?

Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank userrick

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and we're sorry to hear you were disappointed. We are proud to offer staff service 24 hours to assist guests with any issues they encounter in their room; however as a limited service economy branded property we do not have porter services available. Had the front desk been informed about the heating issue upon check in we could have rectified the situation the first night for you. When you did let us know we asked what you would prefer; us to fix the heat or if you would like to move to a different room, you opted to move to the room next door to your original room. We are happy to note that you did stay for the entirety of your reservation and upon check out no issues were reported.
Thank you again for your comments and we hope your next stay in Calgary is a pleasant one.