Lowest prices for your stay
US$66
US$62
Hotels.comUS$66
TravelocityUS$66
ZenHotels.comUS$68
All reviews c train pancake machine hard boiled eggs breakfast room front desk staff rooms are comfortable mini fridge cereal kitchenette treadmill properties sofa
Selected filters
Reviewed May 30, 2017

Let me start by saying the initial mistake on booking was totally my fault but what ensued is totally unacceptable.

I booked this hotel in a rush (on-line) due to a family medical emergency. I accidentally hit 2 rooms instead of 2 people and made a reservation. Immediately recognizing what I had done I telephoned the property to cancel one room. (Yes, I know I hit the accept button) The person answering the phone did not even have my info yet but when she found it took it to her manager who refused to cancel the one room. I then phoned customer service with Choice Hotels and they said they would try and get it canceled for me due to the circumstances. Again the manager refused.

When I arrived they offered to cancel the room but still charge me (ridiculous) so I took the two King rooms. One of my rooms was queen room with a kitchen which they called an upgrade. I again asked for my money back as they did not provide me with the beds I had booked. Again refused!

The room itself was clean but the walls are paper thin and we could hear people talking and laughing three rooms away. As I spend a lot of time in Choice Hotels I was appalled at this type of treatment by the hotel management. Needless to say, this was one of my last stays in this hotel.

Room tip: pick a different hotel!
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank randyy639
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Thank you for sharing your comments and we're sorry to hear you're unhappy. We hope your next stay in Calgary is a pleasant one.

Reviewed May 18, 2017

One of the best hotel rooms I have stayed in for a long while !

Located in the cluster of motels, hotels and restaurants near the university, there was enough parking (perhaps too little if the hotel is full – not sure where there is alternative parking if so).

I was in an “efficiency room”. A nicely sized room with a kitchenette (small fridge, sink, hob, microwave and coffee maker, as well as some cutlery).

Room felt a little bit full – bit cluttered by a sofa, coffee table, chest of drawers, TV, medium sized queen bed. Bath and sink were fine. Storage space was OK with a hanging closet as well as the chest of drawers.

Lighting was good (some white, some yellow). A/c worked fine. Wifi was good and fast. TV was a little bit of a letdown, not a huge selection of channels and very grainy reception.

What impressed me was that everything seemed well maintained, clean and perhaps recently renovated. Staff were friendly and efficient. The hotel also has a pool and breakfast, neither of which I had time to try.

For the price I paid (~ 80 CAD) I see no competition at all in Calgary. Even the supposedly superior Clarion is, IMO, not as good.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Danno_99
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2017

Wow! Thanks for such great comments. We look forward to showing you an even better stay the next time you're in town!

Reviewed May 17, 2017

Near the University of Calgary, walking distance to the Public Transportation, Very nice free Breakfast!
Very clean rooms, friendly staff! Good pool and Jacuzzi!
Very close to the Dino's Football Stadium!

Date of stay: July 2016
2  Thank Caslessa

Thank you for sharing your great comments regarding your last stay with us. We take pride in our hotel and our staff and we are always happy to hear when we get it right. We look forward to showing you the same great accommodations the next time you're in town!

Reviewed May 8, 2017

Stayed here with my four year old son and mother while visiting my husband at the Foothills hospital. I choose this hotel due to location close to the Foothills, quite reasonable price, and being able to get a room with enough beds to accomodate us all.

Pros:
-good value for a having a larger room - two queen beds, sofa bed, and quite a nice kitchenette
-fairly modern hotel - much nicer and newer than the Econo Lodge Motel Village around the corner (which I stayed at the weekend prior)
-has basically everything you could want in a hotel for a reasonable price - pool, workout room, free breakfast

Cons:
-Breakfast: The breakfast could use improvement: equipment needs to be better maintained (toaster only toaster one side of the bread), items fresher (my mom tried a danish that looked tasty, but it was dry)
-Pool was on the cold side, but that is the case at most hotels

Overall, I would recommend, but only if you get a good price. It is nice, but there is definitely a "budget" feel to it. There are quite a few hotels in motel village, so shop around. The weekend after I stayed here, I tried the Best Western Plus Village Park Inn instead. It is a much nicer hotel and I got a very good deal on it through Priceline. I would have no problem staying at the Econo Lodge University again if the price was right, but it wouldn't be my preferred choice.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2017

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate feedback from our guests so that we may improve services for everyone. We hope to have the chance to serve your accommodation needs in the future!

Reviewed April 26, 2017 via mobile

Price is good but you get what you pay for I guess. I've been in a newer Econo Lodge in a different city before and it was nice, but this one was older and dated. Cleanliness is also questionable but it might be due to old carpets/walls/bath/bedding etc, but still not a pleasant feeling. Staff was very friendly however, and the location is good if you want to head towards Banff in the AM. But like I said it had that old feeling to it that did not like so likely wont be staying again.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank BDanni
EconoInnsSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We are happy to note that we are already under renovation and hopefully the next time you are in town we can have the opportunity to show you a better stay in our new rooms!