“Okay stay for a short trip” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #78 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Vancouver, Canada
“Okay stay for a short trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed at the Ramada downtown calgary for the weekend to attend a conference. There are some wear and tear but overall, the location was good and the stay was comfortable enough. It was the St.Patrick's weekend so I expected the area to be quite loud and it was. The bellman was very friendly but the reception staff were either not feeling well or just unhappy, couldn't really tell which but the consequence was unfriendly and mumbling service. Personally, I don't even think the price is good for the overall stay but I guess it is compared to other hotel prices. Next time I'm in Calgary, I think I will pay a few dollars more for better service and happier environment.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shookl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were in town for the Flames vs Flyers game and after a long snowy drive from Kelowna we were quite please with the cleanliness of the room, comfy beds and a great view of the downtown core. Staff are super friendly, knowledgeable and took care of our every need throughout the weekend. The Front Office Manager Mr. Zulfiqar and Jennifer went out of there way to make us feel at home. . After reading other reviews on here I was worried about noise but in all honesty I never heard a peep through the day or at night! I will never stay anywhere but the Ramada Hotel Downtown Calgary and want to thank the entire team for making it such a great weekend for us! Cheers to all!

Room Tip: Go for the top floor with a balcony!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Coomesy
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times for business in the past 6 years. The price is reasonable for its good location downtown. The restaurant is nothing special.
My last trip was Feb 19 - 21, 2012. I was wakened the first night at 12:30AM by drunken yahoos in the next room. The worst one was a loud woman who never stopped talking, laughing, and dropping F-bombs. They left shortly, but returned around 2:15 (last call?). I phoned the front desk to complain and they said they would send security up. Didn't help. The party eventually moved (to another room?), but returned at 4:15! I called the front desk again, and got the same assurance that they would send someone up. But the noise didn't stop until nearly 5 AM (they passed out?). My alarm went off at 6. Grrrr! I complained in person at the front desk, and told them I wanted to be moved if the same people were not leaving. The clerk assured me that the people were supposed to check out, and apologized. Too little, too late. I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank baal727

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My room was fine, a bit worn but clean and comfortable. I did not care for the lobby at all, nor did I find the restaurant in the lobby any good what so ever. The staff were non-chalant not really interested in your enjoyment of your stay or your food. The bar I only walked through and it seemed a bit edgy for me.

Room Tip: Its one of the cheapest hotels in Calgary, I can't believe what other hotels are charging in Cal...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jixx
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Counter staff & manager were very helpful with our multiple queries. Booking of getaways, cars, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank 50million
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights starting January 31, 2012. The room was a standard hotel room with 2 double beds. The matresse on the bed I used was comfortable. The room seemed clean, and the standard bathroom looks like it had a makeover in the recent past. The temperature control in the room consisted of a thermostat. Even though the cover could come off, I found it impossible to adjust. The room had no fan control. This may be a problem in hot weather. One of the windows can be opened to let in outside air if desired.

The hotel has two elevators for guests, and I never had to wait very long for one.

On my first afternoon there, I smelled cigarette smoke in the hallway. The second day, the smell was very bad, and seeped into my room, so I went to the front desk and asked the manager if I was on a smoking floor. He said the entire hotel is non-smoking, so I asked him to deal with the problem and let me know what action was taken. I heard nothing and the smoke persisted, so I went back down and asked him what he was going to do. He acknowledged that they checked the floor and smelled the smoke, but said "We can't knock on every door and ask if they were smoking". No doubt the house keepers must know what room(s) reeked of smoke, so I conclude that the management allows smoking in the hotel. If cigarette smoke bothers you, you might want to consider going elsewhere.

The hotel has a basic buffet brreakfast at $14.00, and I found the quality of it to be good, even if the variety was limited. I would recommend it to guests.

There is good, free wi-fi in each room. The signal was reasonably strong.

The front desk clerks were courteous. Other staff have obviously been trained to say 'hello' if they encounter you in the hall or elevators.

I would not consider staying here again for two reasons, the smoking policy and the lack of ability to control room air.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank pictoulight
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

New rooms are quite nice and the staff really trys hard to please. I'll be back

Room Tip: try the rooms in teh back of the hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business