“Our new 'family hotel' in Calgary”

International Hotel and Spa Calgary
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed here NYE weekend with two children in a 2 bedroom suite on 'prestige floor' (18th). Very roomy suite. One bdrm with King, 2nd with 2 twins. Free valet parking and free waters, yogurt & small bottle of wine in room. Aveda toiletries. Friendly staff. Great downtown location. Hotel is recently renovated. Small quirks: plan to wait several minutes for elevator to come up to higher floors & no late checkouts on Sun. A great stay.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank ThorCanada

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Our 3 night stay was long enough, in Calgary. Nothing really to complain about, the hotel served its purpose. There is plenty of room in the twin suite. The room was quiet, even with neighbours. Bathroom is adequate. Beds were comfortable, and sleep quality was good.

Book the WOW package if you can. Free breakfast and valet parking included at a very good rate.
Breafast is excellent. Check there web sit for this package. Internet is free via ethernet cable, wifi is $10 a day

Staff were always helpful. Free laundry, you just need to book the laundry.

It will be a good idea to ask for a room away from the lifts, as they are a little noisy. Didnt hear any road noise from the 8th floor

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Brenton K
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Huge suite with bedroom, lounge, kitchen & bathroom. Quiet, clean, very confortable. Had access to the small "balcony" through a sliding door which was nice to look along the city street and get some invigorating winter air. Good breakfast options and service.

Staff were a little disinterested, and like other places in Calgary there was no offer of porterage to help you with your bags to your room!

Indoor Pool and hot tub is useful but the hotel really needs to think about doing some interior decorating in there as it's very sterile and old!

Room Tip: Don't know what the other side rooms looked out onto but my room was facing the front of the hot...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Denwick
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Very recently a very good friend and I decided to attend my corporate Christmas party in Calgary. I have been to Calgary several times, but my friend Jai had never been… I thought it would be fun to stay in a hotel downtown even though the party was outside the city core…
I picked the International hotel, mostly because of its location. It’s easy to find in a city like Calgary, where it seems that every other street is a one way… Its moments from everything including Starbucks coffee in the morning, which was a request of my friend Jai.
Now I know it was all about location, but I have to say from the moment we pulled up and checked in to the hotel we felt welcomed… The Staff at the front desk truly went above and beyond answering our questions, getting us out of the cold (Did I mention, Jai is from Phoenix AZ) and helping with our luggage… When I expressed we had come for a party and we really didn’t know the city that well they helped us out by physically drawing us a map to find our way… The hotel was perfect, the bed was comfortable and the Customer Service was top notch… We’ll be back and without a doubt we’ll be checking in with our friends at the International Hotel…

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pierre C
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Not a bad thing to say about our stay. Was in town for a private function when the weather went bad, we live out of town and did not want to challenge the roads. A gent by the name of Jason Baker told us about the hotel. The place exceeded our expectations and the staff was particularly helpful. The staff at the front desk was wonderful and very patient with our questions at 2 AM and very helpful that late at night. We will definitely be back.
Heather

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I wanted a nice hotel to stay at overnight but one that wasn't over-priced. International Hotel Suites was PERFECT! I booked it online and was lucky to find an internet deal priced at $99 for one night, plus taxes.
When I arrived I checked in quickly without any difficulties. The room was HUGE. It was called the "Executive King Suite", and it really was just beautiful. The best part about it was the bedroom had doors seperating it from the living area. I also liked the dim lighting in the bedroom as well.
I found the bathroom to be exceptionally small given the size of the room- but that wasn't a huge deal to me.
I would have given this hotel 5 stars but there was a big mix up with my room service dinner order. I waited almost 2 hours for a dinner that never got rung in by the front desk staff, only to find out later that one of their concierge's took the order but never put it in the system. Needless to say I was comped for my meal. But it was still a hassle and put me behind schedule for the night.
I have decided that whenever I am in Calgary I will only stay here. Quiet, spacious rooms, and a beautiful walk out balcony! It's like home away from home... only better ;)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank msquared23
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The company I work for provided its employees with rooms for our Christmas party, I took advantage of the good rate and booked an extra night for myself and my guest and am glad I did. We had not visited with each other for awhile and it was lovely to walk into what could be a small apartment all set for us to relax in for 2 nights, 1 day and Sunday morning. We had brought in a "picnic" supper of wine, cheese, meat, buns and such. Complementary bottled water is a nice touch by this hotel.
The bed was exceptionally comfortable but we both had to move the feather filled pillows away from our faces! Another choice of a softer synthetic type pillow would be good...the ones there were kind of like solid sponge...guess I could bring my own pillow, but try to travel light...
Loads of towels; good information from front desk when we needed it; nice wall-mounted HD TV - not that we watched much TV.
We took a cab from outside the hotel door in the morning to a brunch because it was too bloody cold to drive - and the parking would have been horrendous at our destination.
Christmas Party time! -
We had an excellent meal on the 35th floor penthouse party area.Kudos to all the fine staff who waited on us and kept all the trays full of an excellent buffet supper - and this bunch likes to eat! View from main dining room was great and around in another part of the penthouse was a quieter place to get away from the music later on and relax by the fire...perhaps another couch or two would be nice there?..
.After the festivities and when we had settled in for the night - at 2:10 am the emergency warning alarm went off and kept repeating and telling us to "wait for further" instructions
I truly appreciate the fact the alarm system works well, BUT it would have been nice to hear a final message saying the emergency situation had been dealt with - adrenaline at 2 in the morning leads to not being able to fall back to sleep until 3:30 am - well in my case anyway...but better safe than sorry for sure. At check out we found out some idiot was caught smoking in the stairwell - and it is most clearly posted the entire hotel is non smoking...being only a two year quitter myself, I can remember the cravings well - but for the sake of your wallet and the peace of mind of an entire hotel full of people, next time GO OUTSIDE YOU FOOL - in your pajamas and robe if need be - I have done that in the past...
I look forward very much to my next stay at the International Hotel, which apparently will be for our next Christmas party...

Room Tip: Higher up floors have a more muted traffic noise - but you will have to walk down that many more flo...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends