My first impression when I arrived at the Inn was that it wasn't what I was expecting at all! From the website photos, I had pictured more of a traditional feel. The reception area/front desk and restaurant were decorated in a modern style but it was tasteful, just not what I was expecting.
I was asked how I liked my morning coffee then lead to my room and given instructions on how to use the fireplace and other room features. The service was a nice touch. That evening I ordered the mushroom risotto from Chef's Table restaurant and enjoyed it with a glass of wine on the patio off of the room. The food was DIVINE! Unfortunately my schedule didn't permit another chance to eat at the restaurant, but I would look forward to coming back to do just that.
The important aspects of the room were looked after. The bed was very comfortable and I had about 5 pillows on the king-sized bed of varying levels of firmness to choose from which was great! Soft music was always playing when I returned to the hotel after housekeeping had been through. In the morning, I would wake up to have coffee and the newspaper ready for me at my door (and the coffee was well made).
After work one night, I was in a rush and asked if I could purchase a bottle of wine from the restaurant to take with me to a friend's home for dinner. I selected a bottle of french white (I frustratingly can't recall the name) and one of the staff brought it to me with a bag to carry it in. The only reason I mention this is that the wine was so good, my hosts commented on my selection. By having an excellent wine list to begin with, the hotel made it easy for me. I appreciated that!
I selected this Inn mostly for its location. The ability to walk around Kensington and downtown without having to be in a hotel located in the busy downtown core was great.
Overall I really enjoyed my stay; I'm just not sure that my wallet did! However, the food, the service, the location and the extra touches will most likely bring me back. From here you get to experience some of Calgary's lesser known but fantastic qualities - the beautiful winding river and the walking trails, the small independently-owned shops, as well as the things that Calgary is better known for such as the friendly people and the expansive sunny, blue skies!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kensington Riverside Inn is Calgary's premier luxury boutique Inn located steps from Downtown Calgary along the banks of the picturesque Bow River in Kensington Village. This 19-room boutique inn features upscale accommodations for the discerning traveler, as well as our newest addition, Oxbow, serving unique and seasonal cuisine, letting you appreciate dining as it was meant to be, honestly uncomplicated. Your "Inn" experience will include evening turndown service, morning coffee/tea tray with newspaper, as well as complimentary high-speed wireless internet and bottled water in the guest room. When booking with the Inn directly, guests will receive a $20 per person culinary credit at Oxbow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, World Independent Hotel Promotion, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Kensington Riverside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kensington Riverside Hotel Calgary
- Kensington Riverside Inn Calgary, Alberta