“Experience the best of Calgary at the Kensington Riverside Inn”

Kensington Riverside Inn
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Terrace, Canada
“Experience the best of Calgary at the Kensington Riverside Inn”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My first impression when I arrived at the Inn was that it wasn't what I was expecting at all! From the website photos, I had pictured more of a traditional feel. The reception area/front desk and restaurant were decorated in a modern style but it was tasteful, just not what I was expecting.

I was asked how I liked my morning coffee then lead to my room and given instructions on how to use the fireplace and other room features. The service was a nice touch. That evening I ordered the mushroom risotto from Chef's Table restaurant and enjoyed it with a glass of wine on the patio off of the room. The food was DIVINE! Unfortunately my schedule didn't permit another chance to eat at the restaurant, but I would look forward to coming back to do just that.

The important aspects of the room were looked after. The bed was very comfortable and I had about 5 pillows on the king-sized bed of varying levels of firmness to choose from which was great! Soft music was always playing when I returned to the hotel after housekeeping had been through. In the morning, I would wake up to have coffee and the newspaper ready for me at my door (and the coffee was well made).

After work one night, I was in a rush and asked if I could purchase a bottle of wine from the restaurant to take with me to a friend's home for dinner. I selected a bottle of french white (I frustratingly can't recall the name) and one of the staff brought it to me with a bag to carry it in. The only reason I mention this is that the wine was so good, my hosts commented on my selection. By having an excellent wine list to begin with, the hotel made it easy for me. I appreciated that!

I selected this Inn mostly for its location. The ability to walk around Kensington and downtown without having to be in a hotel located in the busy downtown core was great.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay; I'm just not sure that my wallet did! However, the food, the service, the location and the extra touches will most likely bring me back. From here you get to experience some of Calgary's lesser known but fantastic qualities - the beautiful winding river and the walking trails, the small independently-owned shops, as well as the things that Calgary is better known for such as the friendly people and the expansive sunny, blue skies!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Wonderland_V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Heswall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and were very impressed. The bedrooms were very tastefully decorated, lovely comfortable bed, nice quiet room. The bathroom was spacious, clean and lovely fluffy towells. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant and the overall feel of the hotel was quite luxurious. We would definitely stay again. The hotel is well situated and has an excellent restaurant where you can unwind after a day out in the city.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stiffnee
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2011

This is the first time we have written a review for an accommodation away from home. The Inn was perfect....generally quiet, very clean, staff friendly, super comfortable bed, great food at the restaurant and access to the various areas in Calgary we needed/wanted to go was good considering all the construction currently being done. We will definitely stay there again (this was our second visit). It was on par with downtown Calgary hotels, but the atmosphere was much better.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaronLorie
, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Thanks for taking the time to review the Inn on TripAdvisor. We recognize that no amount of marketing will ever surpass the power of word-of-mouth and we truly appreciate your kind words and hope to see you again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,

Werna Maurer
Hotel Manager
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We stayed at this charming boutique hotel for our 5 year anniversary! The Inn is modern, but warm and the staff were very attentive. We were personally walked to our room where we received a complimentary spa basket.Our room was clean and well decorated with a fireplace and view of the river. Unfortunately, there was construction outside at the time but obviously this was no fault of the hotel.
We were provided with free breakfast cupons and fresh coffee at the door. It was a real gourmet breakfast at their excellent restaurant, Chef's table.
The location is brilliant if you want to enjoy all Kensington has to offer within stumbling distance of your bed. If I could sum up this hotel in one word it would be sexy.
Highly reccomended for a getaway within your own city, or for the traveler who can appreciate a boutique experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank supermonbon
, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Thank you so much for this wonderful review, we truly appreciate you choosing the Kensington Riverside Inn and sharing this memorable experience with others. We hope we have the pleasure of hosting you time and again!
Munich
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I spent one night in this nice Inn which seemed to be almost empty in late January 2011 . The reception was very kind, the rooms are large and equipped with proper heating, a large flat tv screen and free wireless internet connection. As my day started before 7 am, they kindly offered a coffee service at the room. You can't do anything wrong with this friendly and cosy Inn, unless you are looking for a great bargain or a stay in downtown Calgary. The Kensington Inn is about fifteen minutes walk away from the Center. A walk is certainly not recommended at this time of the year, considering that the temperature was minus 21 degrees centigrade.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MunichMartin
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2010

We stayed here on our wedding night and it was a mistake - the room was clean no problem with that, but for $300 it was terrible. It had a car parkade view, very tiny and had no basic necessities like Tylenol or a plastic comb. I would never stay here or recommend it to anyone as you can get way better deals in Calgary downtown for what you get here. We never even got a complimentary bottle of anything for our wedding night, how cheap!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WelcomeMat
, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 7 January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Inn. We appreciate the time you have taken to express your thoughts. As a small boutique property we realize the importance of word-of-mouth advertising and am constantly attempting to improve our reputation through our services and amenities. We take pride in being unique in the market place, providing personalized service, an intimate location, and luxurious amenities. We apologize for the fact that you were disappointed in our product, especially on such a special occasion as your wedding night, and we encourage you to contact us directly to give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves by inviting you back to create the experience you had originally expected to have.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2010

My girlfriend won a stay in a Luxury Suite at the Inn as part of a raffle at Calgary's Sun and Salsa Festival. We were delighted to have won the prize, and since we live only a few blocks away, decided to make our stay a special vacation close to home. In the end it was anything but stress relieving.

Upon arrival, we checked in and the desk clerk asked for our preference for coffee or tea brought to our door in the morning. So far so good. We got the key and headed to our room on the second floor. We realized there had been a mistake since the Inn's website describes the luxury suite as having a living room, bedroom and bathroom with jacuzzi and a view of the river. Room 206, where we were staying, was a single room, no jacuzzi, with a stunning view of the back alley. Additionally, the room smelled faintly of tobacco smoke and the "king" bed was actually two twin mattresses pushed together on a king frame with a piece of foam covering the top.

Upon explaining the mix up to the desk clerk and forwarding him the email we received, he gave the unsatisfying explanation that our stay was supposed to be for a normal room, and that the email said "Luxury Suite" because "all of the rooms are suites". He declined to let us switch our reservation or make any other arrangements, and essentially said it was our fault for misinterpreting the email. He also did not offer to send anyone to investigate the smoke smell in the room, simple saying that "all of our rooms are non-smoking". We decided to enjoy the room we had, but the lack of customer service and friendliness by the staff was disappointing.

Aside from that experience, the hotel is carefully designed and decorated with modern furnishings and paintings. The restaurant is top notch, with themed drinks and the best Alberta beef fillet that I have ever tasted, melts in your mouth. The coffee and tea outside the room in the morning was a nice touch.

Bottom line:
For me, the service makes or breaks a hotel experience, and I have stayed in plenty of Holiday Inn's and Motel 6's where the staff were twice as helpful and the bill a third as much. If you have money to burn, want to stay in a good location, and are willing to put up with staff that are as cold and polished as the decor, this is your place. If not, this city has many warmer, more affordable, friendlier options.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank q3arena