I have stayed here several times - most recently for a night last week. This is the best boutique property in Alberta, and the best I've encountered in Canada. It has become my regular stop in Calgary, despite the fact that I'm a Fairmont Platinum member.
The property is small - 20 or so rooms, and has more the feeling of a large country house than a hotel. Rooms area quite lovely - I think I've stayed in most of them over the years - even the cheapest is comfortable and more than adequate. Aveda bath toiletries are a nice touch, as are the fireplaces in each room. Beds very comfortable.
The best part however, is the staff. An amazing "can do" attitude. This last visit I was riding the elevator up from the parkade to check in, and a young waiter held the elevator to wait for me. Asked if I was checking in, and gave me directions. Told me, unsolicited, that I had made the right decision on where to stay in Calgary! Reception staff are lovely. Came back from dinner and two colleagues and I decided we'd like a drink. Restaurant had been closed for a private function, and it was late and they were essentially closed. Asked if we could get a drink - response was "of course" and they went away and worked it out.
The restaurant, by the way, is truly outstanding - and I'm a real foodie. Last visit i was on my own, so decided to have room service - ordered a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine. Staff brought it up course-by-course, and poured wine on each visit. This meant my dinner was hot, and perfectly prepared and presented. Caused staff a lot of extra work - but that's just what they do. Good wine list also, and well priced. Breakfast comes from the same restaurant, is included in the price (saves $35 compared with most hotels), and is also exceptional. A nice touch - they leave coffee or tea on your doorstep first thing in the morning - nice way to wake up.
Someone complained in a review that the parking spaces were too narrow. While its true that they're narrow - really? Who chooses accommodation based on parking spaces. The cost is less than a third of what other hotels in Calgary charge.
Couldn't recommend more highly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kensington Riverside Inn is Calgary's premier luxury boutique Inn located steps from Downtown Calgary along the banks of the picturesque Bow River in Kensington Village. This 19-room boutique inn features upscale accommodations for the discerning traveler, as well as our newest addition, Oxbow, serving unique and seasonal cuisine, letting you appreciate dining as it was meant to be, honestly uncomplicated. Your "Inn" experience will include evening turndown service, morning coffee/tea tray with newspaper, as well as complimentary high-speed wireless internet and bottled water in the guest room. When booking with the Inn directly, guests will receive a $20 per person culinary credit at Oxbow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, World Independent Hotel Promotion, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Kensington Riverside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kensington Riverside Hotel Calgary
- Kensington Riverside Inn Calgary, Alberta