“Great Getaway”

Kensington Riverside Inn
Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My wife and I were in need of a simple getaway for one night, and the Kensington Riverside Inn is exactly what we needed. With its wonderful location (we took in a movie, did some great shopping, walked along the river, and enjoying great meals), we were treated to some of the best that Calgary has to offer.

With the breakfast voucher for the next morning (which, at the Chef's Table, is worth the booking alone), the $199 we paid was more than worth it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy B
There are newer reviews for Kensington Riverside Inn

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I have stayed here several times - most recently for a night last week. This is the best boutique property in Alberta, and the best I've encountered in Canada. It has become my regular stop in Calgary, despite the fact that I'm a Fairmont Platinum member.

The property is small - 20 or so rooms, and has more the feeling of a large country house than a hotel. Rooms area quite lovely - I think I've stayed in most of them over the years - even the cheapest is comfortable and more than adequate. Aveda bath toiletries are a nice touch, as are the fireplaces in each room. Beds very comfortable.

The best part however, is the staff. An amazing "can do" attitude. This last visit I was riding the elevator up from the parkade to check in, and a young waiter held the elevator to wait for me. Asked if I was checking in, and gave me directions. Told me, unsolicited, that I had made the right decision on where to stay in Calgary! Reception staff are lovely. Came back from dinner and two colleagues and I decided we'd like a drink. Restaurant had been closed for a private function, and it was late and they were essentially closed. Asked if we could get a drink - response was "of course" and they went away and worked it out.

The restaurant, by the way, is truly outstanding - and I'm a real foodie. Last visit i was on my own, so decided to have room service - ordered a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine. Staff brought it up course-by-course, and poured wine on each visit. This meant my dinner was hot, and perfectly prepared and presented. Caused staff a lot of extra work - but that's just what they do. Good wine list also, and well priced. Breakfast comes from the same restaurant, is included in the price (saves $35 compared with most hotels), and is also exceptional. A nice touch - they leave coffee or tea on your doorstep first thing in the morning - nice way to wake up.

Someone complained in a review that the parking spaces were too narrow. While its true that they're narrow - really? Who chooses accommodation based on parking spaces. The cost is less than a third of what other hotels in Calgary charge.

Couldn't recommend more highly.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CanTravelYVR
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I wanted to have a quick weekend getaway last week. We wanted to stay somewhere a little more special than a hotel like the Westin or Fairmont. Although the rates are higher than some hotels, the attention that the Kensington Riverside Inn gives you, with the little extras make this inn an amazing deal and an absolutely wonderful place to stay. From the coffee, juice, or tea that is waiting at your door in the morning (with a newspaper), to the fireplace in the room, the bottle of water, the personalized welcome and turn down service, it is truly an exceptional place, in a great location.

The only thing my husband and I would do differently next time is... fast! The Chef's Table is AMAZING. Breakfast was never a disappointment, and the quality of the food at both breakfast and dinner was phenomenal. I'm looking forward to staying again and enjoying the Chef's dinner and wine pairings.

Thank you Kensington Riverside Inn for an amazing stay in a wonderful room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly W
WernaCalgary, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Good morning and thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so glad we were able to create a unique and memorable stay. No amount of media or technology will ever replace the importance of word-of-mouth, and I am so glad you have become advocates. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 13 February 2012

I would defineltly recommend this little bed/breakfast/boutique hotel to anyone looking for soemthing different or a new experience from the regular hotels out there.
Our flight to Calgary got in early and we decided to see if we could check in at 9:00 AM. To our delight the hotel manager Weryna was working the front desk and not only allowed us to check in early but also gave a super good upgrade for free and showed us the room before checking us in! We also were given a free late check-out of 1:00 PM the following day! The Lobby, Front area and Dining room are beautiful and on trend with the style of today. The rooms are clean and I LOVE the heated towel bar and spa products in the bathroom! There is complementary tea or Coffee in the morning sitting at your door with a free paper as well as a turn down service at night. They made the bed up for us, put chocolate on the pillows and put a card down of what the weather was expected to be the next day as well as gave us complementary Breakfast coupons for the following morning! There was even rose petals on the bed for us when we retruned from dinner! The food is extrodinary. A great fusion of taste and presentation and worth every penny. Portions are correct as well.
There were a few downsides but nothing that took away from our stay.
1. They are currently fiishing up some renovation so during the later part of the afternoon you could hear some construction , this didn't take aways from any sleep though.
2. The room we had was a little bit dated but really still MUCH better than any chain hotel that we have stayed at in Alberta.
3. Our Suite was directly above the Kitchen and we could smell the steaks around 5-9PM

These are really totally minor compared to the amazing staff, attention to detail, and care that goes into your stay. We will definelty be staying here again!

Room Tip: Our up graded room was directly above the kitchen and we could smell the food in the evening. If th...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bmercant
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My wife and I wanted to have a quiet romantic weekend trip so we decided to head to Calgary. When looking online at hotels the Kensington Riverside Inn showed up at the top of the search. I had never been to a small boutique hotel prior to this but the reviews were all in line with what we were looking for. We arrived to heated underground parking and a wonderful room with a fireplace and a view of the area. The room featured a heated towel rack as well as a stocked wine fridge in the room. The staff was friendly and incredibly helpful. In the morning fresh coffee and orange juice were delivered to our door. After an evening on the town it was nice to unwind in the lounge by the woodburning fireplace with a good whiskey and a wide variety of wine. What a great weekend getaway.

Room Tip: book the king bed, its worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aduffy1234
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip recently.

Overall my impressions of this hotel were positive, really nice location, lovely buildings, very freindly staff.

The room was starting to look a little dated, especially the bathroom, but from the note in my bedroom and the colour chart on the reception, it looked like they were just starting a redecoration program. It needs it, not that anything is bad, but parts of the room looked dated.

I think after this refurb it will be a far nicer expereince.

The only thing that really bugged me was that my room was directly over the kitchen, and the smells of the cooking really permiated my room. This was a little annoying and tarnised my stay.

Different room with different decor would have improved the rating.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mgrt09
WernaCalgary, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2011

Good morning and thank you for your review. Here at the Inn we are always striving to improve our services and amenities to ensure our guests enjoy a comfortable and memorable experience. We are in fact undergoing a complete guest room renovation that has started with the renovation of 2 showrooms scheduled to be completed the first week of January, followed by the remainder of our guest rooms to be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2012. This renovation will greatly improve the look and feel of our guest rooms and bring them in-line with our public space, while maintaining comfort levels and specialized amenities our guests have come to expect. I truly hope you are able to come back in the New Year to experience our renovation for yourself!

Reviewed 17 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night earlier in the month. All I can say is that it was absolutely perfect! The room was amazing and the inclusion of a fireplace really added to the romantic weekend getaway I had planned. All of the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to stop and chat. I had made arrangements ahead of time to have some things waiting in the room for us and everything went off without a hitch. Everything was topped off by an amazing breakfast in the hotel restaurant. "Amazing", I seem to be using that word a lot in this review. It really is the word that best describes our stay. We will definitely be staying here again. I would like to conclude this review by saying thank you to the Kensington Riverside Inn. They helped me to create the romantic getaway I was hoping for. And my girlfriend, she is now my fiance. Thank you Kensignton.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Silent-Sir
Management response:Responded 19 October 2011

Thank you so much for your glowing review! I will be sure to pass your kind words on to all of our staff and management here at the Inn, who all take great pride in ensuring the pursuit of a perfect stay for all of our guests. Congratulations on your engagement, and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future!