Holiday Inn Express Calgary
Ranked #69 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I had no expectations arriving at this hotel. The reviews led me to believe this place could be awful or great. And there is nothing wrong with this place per se. It's clean, decently appointed and offers free parking (huge plus for downtown Calgary). My father and I shared a room with two queen beds and for two nights, it was fine for us. I'm big on things being clean, and this place was - right down to the washroom.

However, it's clearly not in the same ballpark as other hotels in downtown Calgary. Firstly, it's a little out of the way of the rest of downtown Calgary, however it is pretty close to a c train. The breakfast, while free, was barely adequate. Scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee. I don't eat egg or sausage, so I was left with toast and a cinnamon bun. There was a pancake machine there, but it looked like it hadn't been touched, so I stayed away. Also, they didn't replace the shampoo or conditioner (which were excellent quality) and I had to ask for more.

A nice touch which we didn't take advantage of was the in room microwave and fridge. My boyfriends father stays here for 5 nights at a time when he's in Calgary consulting and enjoys these amenities.

So it's the little things that keep this out of the league of other downtown Calgary hotels. However, I would very likely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for extra shampoo and conditioners.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank WanderingBrunette

Reviewed 20 November 2011

This downtown facility was completely misrepresented by its management. The staff tried to be helpful but the rooms were old and badly in need of renovation. Beds sagged and carpet was very worn and dirty. Price clearly reflected the downtown location but nothing else lived up to their sales pitch.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank biztraveler05340
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Downtown location, free parking onsite. Nice suites, great staff. Located right on the free C-Train line. Not a great neighbourhood. - 6/10

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Warm and genuine welcome from the front desk staff. Check in was quick and the guy on the desk was very helpful. Because I am an IHG member, my room requests were on file and although this is a non-smoking hotel, I was given a room with a balcony - fab!

The room - large and spacious, with a sitting area and kitchenette - in good decorative order with a very big, comfy bed. Good blackout blinds, huge flat screen, fridge and microwave and coffee maker. Bathroom was a very good size, shower over the half tub, lots of towels. Only downside was no in room safe.

Location - within downtown and a short ride on the free tram from just behind the hotel. Easy to get everywhere. There's a big supermarket three blocks away.

Nice touches - complimentary continental breakfast with cooked options as well - great coffee! Not very eco friendly as all the plates cutlery etc were disposable.

Overall this was a great place to stay at a really good rate and better than I expected.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tryanythingonce
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I was here for an overnight business trip and it satisfied all of my needs. It isn't luxurious but was clean and well appointed. The breakfast was lacking and could be improved.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Liked the location, free parking and free Internet.

Somewhat noisy due to construction work, and we went a full day without water (meaning no showers or restroom activities...) without being offered any refund for the inconvenience.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
HIEX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your past stay with us. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you encountered however we did ensure to call all arriving guests to advise that the City of Calgary was shutting off the water at no option to the hotel. We did this so guests could choose to stay at an alternate location as we had already discounted our rates that weekend. I hope that you will advise me if you are ever returning to Calgary as we would like to have you stay again with us to make it right for you. Many thanks, Sherry Blake, Operations Manager

Reviewed 30 August 2011

My hubby and I stayed here for one night in August 2011. Check in was very friendly and prompt. Our room was very large and very clean. The bathroom was clean and had a great shower. We loved the addition of the microwave and fridge (even though we didn't use it - but will remember next time we travel with our kids). The location is awesome and being so close to the LRT is wonderful.
The breakfast is great too. Lots of options and seating. Always replenished and good food.
We never went to the pool or fitness room, however, we saw the hotel's plans to upgrade that area soon.
I would return for sure and wouldn't hesitate to recomment it to anyone else.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family