New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Econo Lodge South

Econo Lodge South
Ranked #88 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Colorado
“Reasonable place, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

I stayed three nights for business. This hotel was nicely appointed, and clean. I also had a pergo floor in my room, instead of carpet. It was a clean, and not loud, so it was a nice change.

Every staff person I interacted with was pleasant and helpful.

The only possible negative is that the area the hotel is in is not the nicest, with an adult bookstore right next door, and it isn't easy to get into, as the entrance is blocked from the main road, so one must go up to the next street and then back down a service road. If that isn't a problem for you, then I would say this is a good value, and a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gibbon22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

The room was modern and the location is on a main artery with no noise. free breakfast and the swimming pool / hot tub were open late. Wonderful staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank aneezvancity
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the econo lodge South while we were visiting Calgary and the Calgary Stampede.We stayed there 8 nights and we found nothing wrong with this hotel. The staff and manager were always helpful.
We stayed in the Altantic Suit which was beautiful and spotless. There was no dirt anywhere in the Suit. We had friends meet us in Calgary and they switched hotels so they could stay at the Econo Lodge. They liked it better then the room they had booked. If we where to go back to Calgary we would stay there again.We were right across the road from the Cheesecake Cafe which was very good dining and on the other side was the Stock Yard Saloon which was a lot of fun in the evenings and we could walk to the hotel from both of these locations. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dilly46
Marion
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2010

I’ve stayed at the hotel a couple of times, last time being just this May. Overall I have been quite satisfied with my stay at the hotel on both occasions. I mean for the money it’s great value. It is close to Chinook shopping mall and in proximity to many restaurants and amenities which makes shopping and eating easy (I really enjoyed the food at Cheesecake Café which is literally on the other side of the street from these guys :) I also liked having a fridge and microwave in my own room. The down side was the “under construction” hot tub, but I have to admit that it wasn’t a deal breaker for me anyway since I prefer swimming in the pool during summer anyway and they’ve promised a bigger and fancier hot tub soon. So I guess bottom line is, if I end up winning a lottery ticket, I wont see this place anymore, but if not, I’ll be staying there again when I go to Calgary.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Jack_TH75
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

We stayed at this Econo Lodge in SW Calgary in September when we drove across Canada to Vancouver.

1. The door to the suite did not lock properly.
2. The window treatments did not close totally.
3. There were holes in the wall that had been recently patched, but not properly sanded or primed and painted afterward.
4. The room was to be non-smoking, yet the bed linens smelled of cigarette smoke.
5. The hotel was overbooked... in late September.

I would not stay here again, knowing what I know now.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank somecanuckchick

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Milpitas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

The Econo Lodge was exactly what we expected and in my opinion represents excellent value for money. Very friendly and efficient check-in staff, all room amenities present and working, plus it was clean and tidy. We didn’t sample the complimentary breakfast but it was laid out as promised, with coffee, juice and pastries. It was almost next door to Chinook mall, which is what we wanted, as we planned to do some shopping before driving down to the Banff the next morning. There were numerous restaurants, (mostly chains), a short drive from the hotel. In conclusion, if you are simply looking for a budget hotel in the South part of Calgary, that has good amenities and is close to a mall, the Econo Lodge would seem a perfect choice.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank katlynb23
CANADA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

For a friends birthday we gotta room , we started getting ready to go out ,a friend that was sitting on the bed said they felt like something bite her , we had never really took her seriously enough and if we had thought there was bed bugs in the room we wouldnt be settling in.
We went out and had a great time and came back , my friend and her boyfriend in one bed and myself and a guy friend in the other.While i slept i felt the need to keep shifting closer to my friend till i was almost half sleeping on him unfortunatly still not realising myself and my friends are all being biten and looking back now obviously it was a my body trying to find a safe and more comfortable place then on top of a bed full of hungray bed bugs.
I then heard my best friend in the other bed say "Thats it something is biting me im sure of it , i looked at her standing there , she was mortified.Ii then just jumped out of sleep and said thats it... thats why im not having a good sleep we made the guys wake up and get up and myself and my friend looked at the bed i was sleeping on really closly and saw a little tiny bug that resembled a little red peice of thread and it was moving , that must of been one of the babys :( we were a mess and extremly hysterical . I wont even get into those details .There was blood all over everyones sheets they were biting us all night .
We wanted our money back and could not get the manager to care or refund us for our stay , No one cared has if it was no big suprise to them im sure , it is definatly a daily event for them no doubt.. This hotel needs to be inspected by the health board and shut down , someone should close it down rip up the ground underneath and rebuild something meaningful in this world. Has a matter of fact ....it is a fact that hotels with bed bugs can infest neighbouring hotels and homes because the bed bugs can travel from place to place , not to mention the people staying this hotel that dont realize they have picked up bed bugs and carry them to pace to place or to homes of people they might be visiting , or homes they are moving into etc etc....No spray can help this place , it is a nightmare to look at beds crawling and infesting with all sizes of bed bugs. when u pull back the sheets to expose the matress there is blood stains from bites on the bed and also from people squashing some of them when they sit on top of the bed so they explode the blood thats filled in their bodies on the matress.its morbid.
Now with all this said obviously this can be carried home even if all the proper procedures are taken to prevent it . Which is a complete nightmare to live in a happy clean enviroment to coming home to bed bugs from this disgracful econo lodge hotel , costs of new luggage , clothes ,furniture ,bedding and beds and spraying all involved . Health of the family living there is in jepordy .
still have nightmares about them up to this day .We take every precaution we can to prevent being a hotels victim like this again .
By law everywhere when you are looking for a hotel whether you are on the phone or in person it is your right to ask them has you book or inquire if they have or have ever had bed bugs or cockroaches, have they had to ever spray the hotel to try and prevent the infestation of these pests ? Some are not honest and a full refund should be in order , I also feel that we should be calling health boards on hotels owners that do not respect costumers or the neighbouring communities surounding the hotel. This is a serious helath risk .
It worrys me that not enough study has gone into this they say that the bed bugs do not spread disease but they used to say that about mosquitos , i had always said for many years that mosquitos are contracters of disease because they will try and bite me and i hit them and they are full off blood , someone elses :( .its also got to be a myth that mosquitos die after they bite you , how is that possible ? and now many years later my theory becomes true and there is a new disease called west nile from mosquitos contracted to people and animals , making us both sick and or die. With this said i find the storey about the mosquito and its characteristics of it to be simular to the bed bugs they are doing the same thing only they are living inside our furniture aposed to flying around when the weather is sutible. to me thats the only difference. a new mutated disease could form just the same over time :(
We all had bites all over us , then those were horrible to have heal , then i developed many severe skin problems , severe eczema , and i got the chicken pox virus , i had chicken pox already but for some odd reason i had them again , makes me beleive that possibly it was contracted to me by one of the bugs that bite a child for example who was carrying the virus the night before . Its possible even though i have nothing solid to back it up
This disqusting hotel is not even fit for pigs to live in , not even a bum wants to be biten like that , they rather sleep on the streets or the park bench . Does anyone know of anything that can be done to stop these kinds of places from being able to proceed and beinifit finacially in such a crude manor?
In fact in canada right now is just noticing the increase in this problem and letting hotels like this stay up and running is surly not helping .

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends