“Value for the Money”

Ranked #90 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Manitoba
“Value for the Money”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

This hotel has seen better days, but the price reflects that.
The unit was equipped with a TV, desk, queen bed, fridge, stove & microwave (& dishes). They also offered free Wi-fi.
The carpet had stains but the room appeared to be clean.

The hotel was busy the night we were there & as a result, there was a fair amount of noise from the adjoining units & the floor above.

An adequate continental breakfast is served in a nice sunny room.

The location is convenient.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank glbkge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Colorado
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I stayed three nights for business. This hotel was nicely appointed, and clean. I also had a pergo floor in my room, instead of carpet. It was a clean, and not loud, so it was a nice change.

Every staff person I interacted with was pleasant and helpful.

The only possible negative is that the area the hotel is in is not the nicest, with an adult bookstore right next door, and it isn't easy to get into, as the entrance is blocked from the main road, so one must go up to the next street and then back down a service road. If that isn't a problem for you, then I would say this is a good value, and a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank gibbon22
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2011

The room was modern and the location is on a main artery with no noise. free breakfast and the swimming pool / hot tub were open late. Wonderful staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank aneezvancity
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the econo lodge South while we were visiting Calgary and the Calgary Stampede.We stayed there 8 nights and we found nothing wrong with this hotel. The staff and manager were always helpful.
We stayed in the Altantic Suit which was beautiful and spotless. There was no dirt anywhere in the Suit. We had friends meet us in Calgary and they switched hotels so they could stay at the Econo Lodge. They liked it better then the room they had booked. If we where to go back to Calgary we would stay there again.We were right across the road from the Cheesecake Cafe which was very good dining and on the other side was the Stock Yard Saloon which was a lot of fun in the evenings and we could walk to the hotel from both of these locations. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dilly46
Marion
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I’ve stayed at the hotel a couple of times, last time being just this May. Overall I have been quite satisfied with my stay at the hotel on both occasions. I mean for the money it’s great value. It is close to Chinook shopping mall and in proximity to many restaurants and amenities which makes shopping and eating easy (I really enjoyed the food at Cheesecake Café which is literally on the other side of the street from these guys :) I also liked having a fridge and microwave in my own room. The down side was the “under construction” hot tub, but I have to admit that it wasn’t a deal breaker for me anyway since I prefer swimming in the pool during summer anyway and they’ve promised a bigger and fancier hot tub soon. So I guess bottom line is, if I end up winning a lottery ticket, I wont see this place anymore, but if not, I’ll be staying there again when I go to Calgary.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Jack_TH75
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We stayed at this Econo Lodge in SW Calgary in September when we drove across Canada to Vancouver.

1. The door to the suite did not lock properly.
2. The window treatments did not close totally.
3. There were holes in the wall that had been recently patched, but not properly sanded or primed and painted afterward.
4. The room was to be non-smoking, yet the bed linens smelled of cigarette smoke.
5. The hotel was overbooked... in late September.

I would not stay here again, knowing what I know now.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank somecanuckchick

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Milpitas
Reviewed 14 February 2010

The Econo Lodge was exactly what we expected and in my opinion represents excellent value for money. Very friendly and efficient check-in staff, all room amenities present and working, plus it was clean and tidy. We didn’t sample the complimentary breakfast but it was laid out as promised, with coffee, juice and pastries. It was almost next door to Chinook mall, which is what we wanted, as we planned to do some shopping before driving down to the Banff the next morning. There were numerous restaurants, (mostly chains), a short drive from the hotel. In conclusion, if you are simply looking for a budget hotel in the South part of Calgary, that has good amenities and is close to a mall, the Econo Lodge would seem a perfect choice.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple