“Great city center location. Lovely buffet breakfast”

Hyatt Regency Calgary
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Great city center location. Handy for shopping and down town business district. Fabulous buffet breakfast served every morning.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank lonelyplanetnot
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Calgary

Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed here during Stampede with our kids. Overall I rate this hotel highly but we did have one negative as when we checked in we noticed the bathtub was not very clean.
- Central location close to shopping and restaurants and reasonable walking distance to the Stampede grounds in one direction and a very nice river front park in another direction (great place to rent bikes)
- Staff were excellent as all were very friendly and helpful
- Room service food quality was just average
- Breakfast buffet was pretty standard and included an omelette station
- Parking is $25 per day for self park and $35 per day for valet
- pool was on 18th floor and while not very big was quite nice
- very nice fitness center. Large with good equipment

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank dcrose
Reviewed 11 July 2011

2nd time staying here this year, this time with family. Prices doubled as Stampede was on, too many hidden charges on final bill. Staff are very friendly and helpful, location is great. We arrived on Weds and William and Kate arrived Thurs! so we got a few pics of the royals over a couple of days.
Very comfortable stay all in all - and stampede was GREAT!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Geight
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Pluses: The hotel is situated in the heart of the downtown, perfect for walks, shopping, eating. The rooms are spacious, especially the bathrooms. Water pressure is excellent. Staff are friendly. But there were many downsides for me. Too many small service issues arose, from the mundane but irritating (a newspaper arrives one morning, but not another morning, and I had to ask not once but twice for a paper), to the ridiculous (robes are only in some rooms, what sort of corporate policy is that? It's supposed to by a Hyatt, a classy and I might add pretty expensive hotel, why am I waking up at 6 a.m. with no robe to put on?). My room was situated across from a hospitality suite, which had the door ajar 24 hours a day, and which I found more than mildly irritating, and since it was connected to an event with no relation to my stay I wondered how I ended up there. To say nothing of having to use the room key to go to, e.g., the room level to the conference level, which I understand as a security measure, but with briefcase and paperwork in tow was hugely awkward. The rooms, the whole hotel in fact, is "cleaned" with a scent, Febreeze-like, which was inescapable (no open windows). The breakfast buffet, pricey I might add, required wait staff to serve coffee and collect the bill and even that was a hassle. I was in the Vancouver Hyatt recently and that feels like a Hyatt: Modern, sleek, staff with an attitude in keeping with a high end establishment (and the room key constraints were sensibly not in place midday). And, weirdly, Hyatt is supposed to have a standardized bed. The Vancouver Hyatt bed was spectacular, I couldn't have slept better, but the Calgary bed was either different or older, and far too soft, I woke up with back ache every day. Given that Calgary downtown is more expensive than it should be (oil poobahs and expense accounts drive up prices, even a pasta dish can set you back $25) there are still equally good options at less expensive rates than the Hyatt offers--or, my preference, similar or higher rates for much better luxury (e.g., Le Germain only a block south). I would stay at the Hyatt again only if I had to. Too bad, because my Vancouver Hyatt stay earlier this year was a tribute to the brand.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Overseez
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The staff was exceptionally accommodating and friendly, the Respire room was great, but I bristled at the fact that it cost approx. $8 to print out 6 sheets of paper, and that the business centre only opened at 7:30 am. Also, the approx. $13.95 per night for Internet access was a bit steep. Why not just include it in the room rate?

Be prepared to spend a lot on meals if you plan to eat in restaurants surrounding the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank julesmck
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The location of this hotel can't be beat. I agree with other reviewers that you can find better deals elsewhere in the city through other websites. We paid $200 a night (not including tax). The location is what the hotel has going for it. A 5-10 minute walk to the C-train if you need it, Stephens Ave and Eau Claire practically at your door step, and right in the heart of downtown. The rooms are immaculate and a bit on the sterile side. The food was what you would expect at this calibre of hotel. I did find the service a bit "stufffy" and pretentious at times. The front desk staff seemed disinterested with arrivals.

The servers seemed rushed at the lounge in the hotel when we were there at 2:00 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon. By that I mean that we wanted to linger over our appetizers and drinks; however, they presumed we were finished and deposited the bill at our table after the first round of drinks. I stated that we would like another round, and the female server seemed annoyed with that, as a group of them were busy chatting for what seemed like forever at the bar.

The Stillwater Spa was just ok with the services I received. The girl that did my facial seemed right out of beauty school and not very experienced or good at what she did. That was a disappointment for the $150 facial I paid for, along with the 15-20% grautity charge. I must say that I was extremely disappointed to see a sign indicating that this amount is the "expected" gratuity charge. In all of my travels across the globe, I have not seen such a sign. How gauche!

The fitness facility was respectable, as was the pool. Do note that they charge $25 a day for parking on top of your room rate.

We will probably not stay again at the hotel, unless we come across a great deal on-line for it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JTrawn
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Stayed at the hyatt in Calgary during a month long trip through Canada. This is a beautiful hotel!

I had called the hotel earlier in the year to see if they could arrange anything special as this trip was of great significance to my partner. The lady in charge of the bookings advised me she would note the significance. I didn't think too much of it until we got to the hotel and arrived at our room. I found out we had been upgraded to a lovely corner room. We were getting ready to go out and we were surprised at the knock at the door to find the hotel had organized champaign and strawberries complimentary.

The attention we were given was fantastic and certainly made us very happy. I apologize to the lady who assisted me as I don't remember her name but she was nothing short of fantastic to remember all the details and arrange this for me while she had 1000's of other guests! She is an asset to the hotel.

If we go back to Calgary we will only stay at this hotel because their customer service is fantastic. The only down side is Internet is an additional $15 but our experience made up for that!

• Stayed: June 2011