“Most horrible stay ever. Do not stay here!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barb's Bed & Breakfast

Barb's Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calgary
Barb's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 52 Calgary B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Alberta
“Most horrible stay ever. Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here July 29 and were supposed to stay on July 30 but we had to leave and find a real hotel. This basement suite has so many problems that it is hard to name them all. I will try to cover a few of the major problems:
1) Refusal of the owner (Barb) to allow my 10 year old daughter to stay. I was told that my daughter could use the couch in the living area of the basement but when we arrived "Barb" told us that under no circumstances could my 10 year old daughter stay with us as this was over her allowed capacity! What! It is a personal basement suite, what kind of rules is she following to make a family break up and not allow a child to stay with her parents?!
2) Owner outlined how to contact emergency personnel and her family if she collapses!
This is a horrible thought and a burden to place on your guests. The owner is very elderly and should not be running this business anymore! "Barb" said if we heard banging from upstairs to contact the emergency list and showed us the numbers and the phone. I constantly worried about the owner’s health and every bump made me scared for her well being.
3) The supposed breakfast was expired by one year. The pathetic breakfast consisted of expired old dry cereal and 5 expired juice boxes. No food should be offered if the supply is old and outdated. My family could have gotten sick on this food and it was hardly enough to feed one person.
4) There were signs and rules posted everywhere over the whole suite. They had written signs outlined ever minor detail from how to turn off the coffee pot, what towel to use, how to not run the bathroom fan too long, not to make too many calls as it was a personal line, and many many more. These signs seemed to make the guests do a lot of extra work to help out the elderly owner but it make me feel like I was a bad child being followed by my mother. These rules are ridiculous and if "Barb" cannot handle cleaning a few extra towels she should not run a business.
5) The entrance door did not close well and was immediately followed by a steep staircase downstairs. I almost fell on the slippery carpet at the top of the stairs and I tried to push the door closed. My mother has a hip problem and could not manage this set of stairs. The basement suite is very dark with small windows and felt like a dungeon. The decoration is very old and smelt stale and dusty.
6) Refusal of the owner to return any funds. Needles to say that after having to find my 10 year old daughter her own accommodations and my mother not being able to make it down the stairs we approached the owner "Barb" about a refund on the money. The owner was rude and ignorant to any of these issues and just said that she could have rented it to others so refused to refund our money. We gave her over 24 hour notice for the second day and she still refused. We suffered through one night and could not handle the second day. What a horrid experience and I am just happy to be home.

Bottom line: DO NOT STAY HERE. A horrible owner, a horrible basement suite, horrible food, and terrible service!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
16 Thank canadian_diva08

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

1 review from our community