“Stay Away!!!!”

Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest
Ranked #96 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 28 September 2011

This was the absolute worst place I've ever stayed in. It sucks that because we booked it through a website and paid in full, we had no choice but to be stuck there. First of all, the smell in the room was awful...airing the room out made in barely bearable. The floors were dirty and probably hadn't ever been vacuumed. I found hair on the towels and in the sheets which by the way were dingy and stained. Housekeeping left a garbage can with dirty soapy water and rags in the room for my whole stay and it's safe to say that the only "housekeeping" they ever did was to leave new towels and empty trash. The sheets were never changed even after I questioned front desk...they told me it's changed every few days or so...I was stuck in this hell for 8 days. The kitchen had blood stains on the floor. Housekeeping also unplugged our fridge which left all our food items to be spoiled. The list goes on and on. Oh, I almost forgot how housekeeping left the curtains wide open with our valuables on display for anyone to come and try to break-in and steal (we were on the ground level). The neighborhood is questionable. I brought all this to the front desk's attention but nothing was ever done about any of these issues other than leaving the curtains closed. I certainly wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel experience but this was the worst ever!! All I wanted was a decent and clean room. If you are looking for a clean place to rest your head, stay far far away from here. PS. The sign in front of the hotel boasts "new comfy beds"...these folks sure have no problems with lying at all!! One of the beds in my room was seriously concave in the middle...it should have been thrown out ages ago.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank mia g
ramada_ltd_calgary, General Manager at Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to provide your feedback.

Our housekeeping department takes pride in the work they do, we focus on inspecting each room prior to arrival so as to ensure we meet our guest expectations, however it would seem that in your case we were not as diligent as expected. Please accept our most sincere apologies and rest assured your comments have been shared with our team and corrective measures taken.

I do hope we will have an opportunity in the future to restore your faith in our property.

Best Regards
Charn Lalli

There are newer reviews for Ramada Limited Calgary Northwest

Reviewed 27 July 2011

We were in Calgary to visit family. My wife booked the hotel because it was close to family and the airport (8 mi) and was relatively inexpensive ($90). I should have turned around and forfeited the $90 as soon as I pulled onto the lot. We were met with 4 police cars and 4 policemen attending to a problem with one of the patrons. Several guests/residents of the hotel jeered and catcalled the police during this event. Working from the premise that sometimes "poop just happens" I made a bad decision to stay the night. It was 10:30pm and we had to be up at 4am to be to the airport, so how bad could it be, right? Wrong!

The place is a dump. Old smelly carpets in the hallway, outdated dirty washroom, dingy dark rooms and the room smelled like a brothel. (Yes I have been in one :))

I slept with one eye open after listening to doors slamming and people "talking" in the hallway. At 4:10 (not 4:00) our wake up call came through. Being a smoker, I splashed some water on my face, threw on some clothes and headed outside for a butt. At that hour I usually let the front desk folks know that I am wandering around, so as not to create concern for them. There was nobody there or in the general area. Even after calling several times from the front desk, nobody appeared.

Once outside I was IMMEDIATELY met by someone that looked very much like they were taken away from checking vehicles for goods by my appearance. The "Gimme a smoke man" was intimidating enough that I did. He asked if I had booze in my room, and told me he needed cash and that i should help him out with whatever I could. I believe the amount of $20.00 was suggested. Not being without some defense skills I told the fellow to take a hike at which point his friend appeared. So i told them both to take a hike. After a few tense seconds one left while the other stood there sizing me up. About a minute later, he left as well.

So, if you like hobos, a filthy hotel and street fighting, this is the place for you. Otherwise, I would suggest another hotel, not in this general area. I have stayed at hotels closer to the airport and been very comfortable for a few dollars more.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank PFD-Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 2 weeks during the Stampede, as my father-in-law had chosen the motel and paid the bill. If it was not for this, I would have demanded my money back and gone elsewhere. We have been travelling through the US and Canada and stayed at $25 a night motels off interstates that were much better than this. The rooms were not clean to start with, particularly the bathroom. The shower didn't drain properly so you end up just about having a bath. There are no fridges or microwaves in the room which are very small. The remote was provided but didn't work. As we were there for 2 weeks, we didn't have our room serviced everyday, but when we did, the towels were thrown messily in the bathroom, supplies were not topped up, the floors were not vacuumed and the bed was made but not with fresh sheets. Gross. And today, in our last day here, we discover that they have at least several rooms at the back of the motel occupied by crackheads who try to break into all the other motel rooms, hassle guests for money and beer and generally make you uncomfortable. When another guest complained to the front desk about the knocking on every door in the middle of the night terrorizing guests, not only did he do nothing but denied that they were living here. Having said that, the man who staffs the desk at night is very friendly.
Pros - very close to CTrain making transport pretty easy, decent free breakfast and close to supermarket and some restaurants. This might be okay if you only stay for one or two nights but please be careful - make sure to lock your door at all times and do not open to strangers in the night.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank casiesse
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I am generally pretty easy going with hotels. We were just staying here one night but I would not stay more than that.

Pros: Friendly staff, good location, surrounded by other hotels, continental breakfast (but a very small area to sit in.)

Sure the hotel was kind of old, and not kept up the best, but I am okay with that.

The main thing I was not okay with was the cleanliness. I took a shower and there were other people's hair in there. I brushed my teeth and there were other people's bits in there. Only three of the pillow cases out of six were stain free. The balcony door was ancient. The toilet did not flush properly. Could hear a lot of outdoor noise. That is the on downfall of being near the LRT.

Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank CSquared31
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The room smelled like stale body odor and cheap perfume. Bathroom smelled like death. A liner was installed in the tub enclosure and was not sealed so it pulled away from the wall causing the rotting smell and felt like you were standing on a water bed. There were no towels and when we finally got them they had gross yellow stains on them. There was also obvious repairs being made to the adjoining door. It was patched but the patch dust was all along the floor as they did not bother to vaccuum it up. Scared to walk on the floor without shoes.

• Stayed: March 2011
5  Thank Flyfever
Reviewed 26 February 2011

My husband and I aren't super picky about where we stay. Our main reason for choosing this hotel was its proximity to the University of Calgary, where he was going to be taking an exam the next morning.

Overall our experience was great -- front desk/management people were very friendly and helpful, the rooms/beds were comfortable enough. The breakfast wasn't 5 star by any means, but was generally fine. (The waffles were a little scary though... I couldn't cut through them.)

The pool was pretty small and quite cold, and the hot tub was luke warmish. But as I said, we aren't terribly hard to please, so this wasn't a huge deal for us. (We were just excited to have a night away sans kids!!)

If you aren't planning on an extended stay, this is a great place for a quick overnighter.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melaviti
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We chose the Ramada cause it was really close to transit train line and super cheap. We could leave our car at the hotel during the day, go to the hockey and shop during the days, and just hang out in Calgary using public transport.

The staff were on the nicer side and they gladly held our luggage for us when we went into Calgary for the day after we checked out. Breakfast was a simple 'continental' type and was neither good nor bad.

The room, aside from the bathroom, was fairly unclean. There was pet fur in the carpet and a huge hole around the newly installed heater/air con that let cold air in all night. Couldn't run the heater though cause it was way too loud.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends