“Staff was great and very helpful.”

Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area
Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stoney Creek
“Staff was great and very helpful.”
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We showed up with a large group which was arriving at various times, we had one person book all the rooms on behalf of our group with followup emails. Upon arrival all was ready for us to check in and staff managed to have a facility avaialble for our private get together on the friday night. Place was clean, spacious and we are looking forward to booking again for July 2012

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Papa_BBOH
ITSED, Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
On behalf of management and staff, we sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to having your group stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 7 August 2011

(dont know of another super 8 in calgary so im guessing this is the One we Stayed In...)The lady at the front desk was nice. My first reaction when we got our room was that it smelled funny... Not a very pleasant smell but nothing to gag over either. My husband says he didn't smell anything and it was clean so we stayed. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank SamiScottie
Lethbridge
Reviewed 5 August 2011

for the first time, we splurged and booked the family suite (more than double the cost of a regular room) As my husband and I were travelling with our 2 teen boys, we thought they would appreciate having their own beds (the family suite offers 2 pull out sofa's and a king bed) The pull-outs were not great for sleeping on - very lumpy and extremely squeeky to the point of waking the kids up if they moved....we would have been better off in a standard room - even with having to share a queen bed, my boys would have slept better. The plumbing ran very slow in our room - the sink would fill up after just a quick handwash....the tub would fill up when having a shower, and the toilet......well, a plunger was necessary......
we stayed for 2 night and housekeeping never attended our room. We had to go to the front desk to ask for additional soap, coffee etc......
Now, after all of that, the front desk staff was very polite and gave us some coupons for neighbouring restaurants. The pool and waterslide were a blast. The complimentary breakfast was nice......
However, I would NOT, NOT, NOT recommend the family suite....it cost us a couple hundred extra dollars that we could have spent better elsewhere....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank misst301
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a week. Check in- Sunday night and check out Friday Morning. Stayed here for work, had meetings and a workshop. I am 25 years old, dressed in buisness apearal and the guy at the front desk tells me that there had better not be any parties or in my room. I laughed it off thinking he was making a joke, but he reassued me he would be calling the police if I made a peep out of line. I was very offended and considered this to be the most outlandish and pitiful customer service I have ever been subjected to. This also made me re-consider the possibility that this was a poor choice for a good nights sleep if they had to intimidate people on check-in. My room was clean, and the bed was comfortable, bathroom looks new and lots of hot water. Good TV, fair lineup. However that night the party started down the hall. Looks like the guy at the front desk did not read the riot act to the right guests. I put the pillow over my head and went back to sleep. Breakfast was awesome- especially as alot of these Super 8s seem to skimp out on the breakfast. On going to my rental car found a smashed beer bottle in parking lot. Had to kick pieces out of the way to drive away. All in all, I would avoid this hotel next time. There are better choices out there without the hassle.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Ashleyloves2travel

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed at this Super 8 as it was the closest hotel to our venue for the weekend.

My only complaint would be is that there were guests in the hotel with a number of dogs for a dog show that was in town. They kept their dogs in a pen out back for feeding etc. This was just outside our window and the dogs barking at 5:45 AM woke us up.

Otherwise the stay was alright with probably the best Super 8 breakfast offering in the chain.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel may be quieter than those at the back which is on Macleod Trail.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank WingNutt2000
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Stayed here with family as it was pre-negotiated through my company while I was at a conference. When booking I asked if the pool was working- to which they said "Yes, it is." Got to the hotel the next week and found the pool to be closed. Asked at front desk and they said they had been having issues last week. Our kids were very disappointed. This seems to be a common occurrence, according to Trip Advisor. We took the room since we still needed somewhere to stay. Room was nice and hotel was otherwise reasonably maintained and VERY clean, to be fair. Lots of hot water, pressure hit and miss. TV had lots of channels and room temperature was well regulated. Breakfast was nice and well stocked. Fair size parking lot. TONS of shopping nearby, Wal-Mart is on their front lawn. Hotel staff were very knowledgeable about the area and attractions. Check-out was challenging as the front desk was understaffed with 1 person and it seems another was being trained. Delivery truck was idling out front for about 1/2 hour filling up lobby with diesel fumes. Not impressed.

Room Tip: Good place if you are not reliant on a pool for entertaining the family.
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Cam_Taters
ITSED, Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
I interacted with guest writing this review on the day the pool was closed during the morning of the guest check out. It was most unfortunate that his children were looking forward to the pool and waterslide but another guest had a child who vomitted in the pool. As a responsible manager, I had no choice to close the pool, drain it, and refill with the appropriate chlorine levels.
Our pool is closed for children's accidents no more than six times a year. It is closed annually in January for maintenance and this closure is posted on the website.
Edmonton
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Was most impressed with this Super 8 Motel. Staff are very efficient, knowledgeable and service was excellent. The hotel is very clean and very well maintained. Continental breakfast included in room rate and is definitely above average with lots of great and healthy choices. Quiet and desirable location in Shawnessy with shopping, restaurants and a beautiful YMCA all within walking distance. Easy access off the freeway.
Really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2011