“Affordable hotel in a convenient location!”

Calgary North Thriftlodge
Ranked #94 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I am an ex-Calgaraian living about an hour and a half away now. When we have to stay overnight it is usually exactly that. A place to sleep, change and shower and be on our way. We don't want to spend big bucks and usually set a goal of under a $100. Good luck in Calgary. Oh sure, there are a lot of places but not places that are super clean, in a safe area and within buget.
This is one hotel that met all of my needs and I give it 5 stars for probably being the best in my price range. It is an older hotel but it certainly is clean and in a safe area.They had a real nice fresh continental breakfast and even gave me a free Calgary Herald. It has restaurants near by and walking distance to the C-Train. As well, there is a major shopping mall within walking distace to the east.
If you are visiting someone at the hospital or University or going to a football game at McMahon stadium it would be your best coice without breaking the bank.
I plan on staying here in the future.
Dean in Red Deer, AB

Room Tip: You are on the Trans Canada highway but noise is not an issue at all.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank awayIgo2travel

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Ya know - not such a bad place! Yes, it's a bit older. Yes, the furnishings and the building are a little run-down. BUT... The rooms were clean, the sheets wee fresh, there were a lot of furnishings in places that made sense (both a table for my laptop and a table to read at), HOT water that you didn't to wait 1/2 hour for, parking right outside your room (first floor only) and free internet access. What more could a person ask for? How about $40 cheaper than any other motel in the area?

I would like to believe that I'm a sensible motel person. I mean, it's a place to sleep at night and maybe pee during the day. I take a trip and I'm out to see the sights - not sit in a motel room. Why pay $300 a night to stay in a place where everything is fancy, nothing is free, and really only enjoy the room for 3-4 hours a day? This place has all the amenities that I needed, including a good location, and I saved enough money to spend some extra on dining in the morning and evening.

For a decent place to stay while in Calgary, give this place a try. My only complaint? The internet connection is throttled down if you try to download anything.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Mortimerr
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This hotel is comfortable, clean and quiet and close to the Calgary Stampede and not that far from Banff National Park. There is a good restaurant right next door.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Mary54258
Reviewed 26 July 2010

After reading previous reveiews on this place my friends and I were expecting the worst which is maybe why we were blown away so much upon getting to our room! For $100 on a last minute booking, I don't think I've stayed in a better place. Microwave, fridge, airconditioning, free parking, great shower (one of those heavy duty big crome ones! not that little pressure washer ones of the ones that spray everywhere except on your body!). Noticed complaints about the noise of the highway being right there...we were the third room in from the highway and we didn't hear a thing (might be becuase of the air conditioning being on). Lots of great restaurants close by (Red Lobster, a steak house, Boston Pizza, Denny's, McDonalds and lots of mom and pop shops within walking distance), walking distance to McMahon Stadium, didn't check out the pool, but my friend said it was ok. 15 minute drive from downtown and 20 minutes from Chinook mall and that shopping district. My only complaint was that the beds were fairly hard and the pillows felt like little soft foam chunks in them (no support in them), but that's more of a personal preference thing I suppose. Staff was polite and friendly. DEFINATELY staying here next time we're in Calgary. Keep in mind this isn't a 5-star Hilton, but if you're looking for a decent clean mid-range hotel for a good price I doubt you'll find a better deal in town!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank thecoach17
Reviewed 17 July 2010

This was the first time I have stayed in a hotel where the entrance was from the outside. I had been skeptical about it, but the room was rather comfortable.
Unfortunately, it was a hot day in April when I stayed and I was unable to sleep with the air conditioner on, as it was rather noisy. Perhaps it would have been best to stay on the bottom level, as it felt as though the guest below me had their heat cranked up on high.
The staff was more than helpful in getting me connected online when I had trouble.
I would stay here again, but perhaps on a cooler evening.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank dlburt08
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We were over from the UK, spending four weeks in British Columbia and Alberta starting and finishing in Vancouver.

We needed somewhere economical and well placed to stay for five nights while in Calgary and the Thrift Lodge fitted the bill.

The lodge is on the outskirts of the city, handy for arriving and leaving from and to the west. The C-Train is about 5 mins walk away, and very convenient for getting into the downtown area.

There are many restaurants around, we can recommend “Phil’s” ....though they tend to close around 9pm, which to English travellers is a bit early, so we mostly ate in the city.

The lady on reception when we arrived had our room ready even though we were a few hours early, she was very helpful and gave us information on the city, a map and change for the C-Train tram system.

The room was clean and tidy and well presented, we had problems with the plumbing on the second day, and the maintenance man was there within five minutes to fix it.

Coffee is available 24 hours in the lobby as is a small complimentary breakfast of orange juice, coffee, muffins and pastries and free newspaper between 7-9am.

The room was warm, but during our stay so was the city, and we had several thunderstorms, the air-conditioning was effective though too noisy to leave on all night.

No safe in the room, but that is not unusual we have found for motels over here in Canada.

We were on the first floor, and there is no lift so we had to carry our heavy cases up the stairs.

In conclusion for what we paid, great value and a good location.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Yorky201024
Reviewed 20 July 2006

When they say they are located right on the main highway, they mean they are located right on the main highway. The noise from the highway was unbearable. If the highway didnt keep you up the noisy other tenants did. After checking in the police were picking up two prostitutes beside the hotel. We would not recommend this noisy, dated, classless hotel located in a less than desirable location.

Stayed: June 2006