“Filthy Rooms, terrible customer service - Not worth the expensive price!”

Days Inn - Calgary South
Ranked #89 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Filthy Rooms, terrible customer service - Not worth the expensive price!”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Every hotel employee we encountered was rushed and rude. Our room had many stains in the carpet & yellow stains on the bed sheets. The hotel pool had a constant lack of towels, even after they just brought more down! And it wasn't like the pool was busy. Our room was dark, there were five lights in the room but dull bulbs and poor placement made it extremely dark. The lights in the bathroom were not all the same color bulb, and half were burnt out. The room was very sparse of furniture. It had an adjoining room (door was locked in between) but the room next to us was having a party all night. Complained to the front desk about the noise twice. After the second time a hotel employee came up and knocked on their door. But they did not stop partying after he left. The hotel is 100% non smoking, however the party room next to us was smoking in their bathroom, filling our bathroom and room up with smoke. The ceiling fan in the bathroom did not work, after two showers with poorly regulated water temperatures the bathroom was steamed up and so was the window in our room. Two hours later, both were still steamed up. The worst part was the stained bed sheets, and the disgusting floor. The free breakfast was cheap, and not good at all. The walls in the dining area were very dirty and looked as though they had never been washed. The evening we were there, my glasses broke and I needed a small screwdriver. Not only did they not have one, it took two calls to the front desk 10-15 rings before someone picked up, but they didn't offer a suggestion as to where the tools could be bought. I ended up using the blade of an exacto knife to screw the screw in. Currently waiting for the hotel manager to call us back about a free night. They were unable to reverse the charges for last nights stay. Will update this when something is figured out. Would like my money back, I do not wish to return to that gross hotel. This was an upgraded room, upgraded to a king bed, over $150 for the night. Not worth it!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Yourgurl83
Sampej, General Manager at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Valued Customer,
I am sorry to hear of your disapointment about your last stay with us. This is not the type of service we like to extend to our guests and we are sincerely sorry about your negative experience. Thorough investigation will be made to find out where we have dropped the ball and a corrective measure will be implemented immediately.
Thank you again to have taken to tell us about your stay and if there is anything I can do to regain your confidence in our property; please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 403.243.5531 ext 7195.
Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Just finished our Canadian Vacation. We visited Calgary and stayed at the Days Inn. Nice clean place. Not much restaurants near by but the free continental breakfast was a plus.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Asiantrvlr
Sampej, Front Office Manager at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Customer,
Our sincere appreciation for your comments. I want to assure you that we will do all we can to justify your confidence in staying with us anytime you are in Calgary.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I admit I was a bit confused. The Days Inn had an atmosphere of a place that had perhaps seen better days, but was determined to keep going anyhow.

The room was okay, the pool was nice enough (although the hot tub could have used a scrub), and the 'continental breakfast' was fine. Front desk service was a bit arrogant, but reasonably efficient.

On the downside, when I was waiting to check out I listened to a woman complaining that while she'd stayed there before, this time her bed was full of bugs! In fairness, that can happen at any hotel that accommodates international travelers, but I was careful not to mention it to my wife until we'd left.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank petey1955
Sampej, Manager at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear Customer,
I would like to take a moment to thank you for your stay with us despite the comment you overheard at check in; you have witnessed for yourself our hotel does not have any bug issues.

We continue to improve our services for all our customers and I sincerely hope your next stay with us will be even more enjoyable.
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This is the absolute worst hotel in Calgary. No ice machines (that work) no hot water to shower with, no restaurant, and when you call to point out the short comings of their hotel, they have excuses and "handyman" fixes to resolve the problems. This place is an absolute dump full of incompetent staff, and a massage parlor ambiance and decor. For $130/night I expect much more, not something equal to a $40/night motel. The night is still early but I am sure that being located over top of the adjacent nightclub isn't going to be good either!! I would recommend avoiding this place at all costs.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel. There is one a half a block closer to downtown that can't be any worse.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank sideshow30
Sampej, Manager at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Dear Guest,
Your complaint was very distressing as this is definitely not the kind of service we like to extend to our guests. Had your complaints or grieviances been brought to our attention during your stay with us; we would have done our best to rectify the situation
We offer our sincere apology and wish to express our gratitude to you for taking time to write us as you did. Believe me, it is only through good friends like you that we know about the inefficiencies that creep into our business and can take the necessary action to correct them.

If you have any further question, you can reach me at 4032435531.
SA

Travellers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Edmonton
Reviewed 18 November 2011

When I checked in this hotel, I paid by credit card - the front desk agent was efficient and super friendly, and even remembered me from the last time I was there; however, he wrote down my driver's license number on my invoice. I questionned him about this because it is a totally illegal practice - a violation of my privacy rights and the law. I told him as much but he stated that was company policy because so many people denied being at the hotel after stayiing there to get out of charges. I told him, regardless, that does not give them the right to break the law - especially since I was not told what they did with my information.

Less than a week later, I called the Front Desk Manager to discuss my concerns - he took my name and phone number but never called me back so I called again four days later and spoke with the General Manager (GM). The GM told me this was their policy due to their previous encounters with fraudulent people. I told him the same thing I told the agent - this is an illegal practice and it should be stopped. He told that is their policy and if I didn't like it I could stay somewhere else. I told him that I thought his unprofessionalism was alarming and disgusting and I would be registering a complaint with the appropriate people. His attitude was outrageous! An organization does not have the ability to contract outside of the law and this man's ignorance at his level is astonishing. I had stayed at this location at least 5 different times in the past 12 months - never again. I am disgusted.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank moonchild411
Sampej, General Manager at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 20 November 2011
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the management and the staff of the Days Inn Calgary South; I would like to apologize to you. We go great lengths to look after our customers and this certainly means every single customer that stays with us.

I would like to assure you that our guest identification policy will be reviewed immediately and necessary adjustments will be made. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I will like to assure you that we do not want to upset you and sincerely hope that you will accept our apology.

I realized we have not met our usual high standard this time, and I hope that we can show you the best side of Days Inn Calgary South when next you stay with us.

Respectfully,
GM
Saskatoon, SK
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here in October 2011 on a 4 day weekend trip to Calgary. The location is terrific if shopping is your thing - easy access to malls and major traffic arteries. Hotel is in good shape with plenty of FREE parking. Breakfast is FREE and is quite sufficient. The rooms are huge. Nice pool facility, but unfortunately, did not have a chance to use it. People will always complain about something, but seriously, there's nothing wrong with this property. Its not 5 star, but its more than functional, and not a dive. For the price and as a place to sleep/hang out in between activities, it suited us just fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not above the Bar. We were in the wing opposite the bar. No issues with noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrJeph
Sampej, Manager at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear Mr. Jeph,
I would like to take a moment to thank your for your honest review of our property. You are truly one of our most loyal guests, and it will always be a pleasure to serve you in future. It is patrons such as yourself to whom we owe the success of this property.

My sincere appreciation of your patronage cannot be overstated and i will like to assure you that we will continue to do all we can to justify your confidence in Days Inn Calgary South.

GM
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Was greeted with friendly, helpful smiling staff. The room was a good size and nice and clean our room was the rear of the hotel overlooking the railway line but nice and quiet. Apart from the noisy girls we had in the next room who were drinking and shouting, when we spoke to the reception about this and asked if we could move, they said they would speak to them about it and if we heard them again they would be asked to leave. Its in a good location with the C train into Calgary every 10 mins if you do not want to drive into town and the fare was quite reasonable. We used it a couple of times. Also in a good location for visiting other areas of Calgary. The complimentary breakfast was very good, had a couple of waffle makers so you could make your own waffles. We were more than pleased with this hotel our only comment is that the public computers were very very slow and in fact one of them we just gave up on as we could not get anything. Despite this we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuzieQ1950
Sampej, Manager at Days Inn - Calgary South, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
May we take this opportunity to express to you our appreciation for having favored us with your patronage.
We are anxiously looking forward to have the pleasure of serving you again.