“For Medical Purposes” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Craigmyle, AB
“For Medical Purposes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I reside 2.5 hours out of Calgary. My husband had to receive surgery at the Peter Lougheed Hospital in Calgary. My husband and I as well as our daughter booked into the Lakeview Inn the night preceding his surgery. The staff there ushered us to a ground floor room, as they were already aware of the lack of mobility my husband possessed. My daughter and I continued our stay at this faculty for the nest 4 days following surgery.

What impressed me about this facility?
The beds were ultimately comfortable.
The complimentary breakfast was second to none.
The staff were accommodating, often inquiring about the condition of my husband
The room was clean and adequately equipped
Extras included popcorn and a regularly filled candy dish
WiFi was available

Overall, I can not say enough positives.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Bev B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Would highly recommend this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast had great variety - eggs, ham/sausage, potato, granola, fresh fruit salad, fresh fruit (bananas/apples/oranges), yogurt, oatmeal, english muffins, bagels, toast, pastries, and waffles. We made use of the BBQ area - they provided steak knives and BBQ utensils - even went out and bought them for us because we were the first of the season! Free DVD movies to choose from and bags of microwave popcorn provided in the room each day. Very sound proof rooms - we stayed with our baby and in-laws in the 2 bedroom suite and they didn't hear our baby in the night at all. Each suite is equipped with a thermostat to adjust as you want. My husband and I found the beds a little hard but my in-laws thought they were great so I guess just a difference in preference. The pool and hot tub were a perfect temperature but the air temperture was a little chilly especially for our baby. We were all thoroughly impressed and will be planning another stay at this hotel. We have come home raving about this place!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Anne D
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This Lakeview Inn is a great example of their hotel chain. The beds are extremely comfortable as are the pillows. The staff was very friendly and every time I spoke to a staff member I always got a positive response. The rooms are large, even a studio room. There is a dish of candy, a full size fridge, a stove, microwave and even a package of microwave popcorn sitting in a bowel for you. My choice of hotel is always a Lakeview Inn and Suites if there is one in the city I am in.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank MJLAlberta_Canada
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

I loved this hotel! Even though it's called an Inn, the rooms are all suites with queen-sized beds. I was very impressed that my suite featured a full-sized kitchen (including a full-sized fridge and freezer, stove, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, dishwasher, pots, pans, plates, bowls, silverware, knives, and miscellaneous cooking utensils). The room also featured 2 televisions (as others have pointed out, these are old and not flat screen, oh well), and each television had a DVD player. These were great fun because there is a DVD "vending machine" in the lobby which features 35 or so DVDs that guests can rent for free, and the hotel provides you free bags of microwave popcorn!

The bed was comfortable, though the pillows were not firm at all (very squishy and compactable). Also, the curtains did not close all the way, so if I was someone who needed pitch darkness to sleep I would have had a problem. Some rooms have doors to separate the living room/kitchen from the bedroom/bathroom - this is the difference between the studio and the one bedroom layouts specified on the hotel website, I think. The housekeeping staff did a great job keeping the room clean and stocked with towels and amenities.

Breakfast was a mixed bag. On the one hand, it was free, it was hot and there was plenty of variety - every morning featured a pork breakfast meat, eggs in some format, baked beans (??), and a carb of some kind (potatoes, French toast, pancakes, hash browns, etc.), plus a spread of 4 cereals, oatmeal, plain yogurt, granola, fruit, Belgian waffles, coffee, milk, pastries, and muffins. On the other hand, sometimes the eggs quality wasn't the best in the world, the beans option was just weird, and I wish there had been some turkey meats in the rotation instead of just pork. The dining area was always clean when I ate there, and the breakfast supervisors were really attentive and friendly.

I did not have much opportunity to use the workout room, pool, outdoors grill, outdoor sports area, or attend the weeknight evening social, but these were indeed on the premises. Also, unlike a previous reviewer, I did not experience any problems with odd smells. Everything smelled fine to me.

Because of the abundance of amenities and the good level of cleanliness I had a great experience overall. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank DavenGVAR
Courtenay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Perhaps better for a long stay if you are conscious of cost (although @$179 + tax a night it wasn't exactly cheap), I found it a bit sterile and unwelcoming. Checked in past midnight and the reception was frosty. So was my room, leading to a terrible nights sleep.

It is a basic hotel with amenities in room for a longer stay. CRT TVs (soon these will be cherished retro items!), DVD players (!) and a view overlooking a trucking depot, it wasn't for me but would do if I had to stay for a longer time, though if that were the ase I may opt for somewhere with a more inspiring view.

Checking out was met with equal enthusiasm as checking in. I honestly felt slightly guilty doing either, so front office could use some work. Says a lot when the cleaning staff are all far nicer than the front desk staff - maybe time for some job switching?

• Stayed September 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TaysTea
John F, Manager at Lakeview Signature Inn Calgary Airport, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Thank you for your review TaysTea. We are receptive to all honest opinons and feedback regarding how well our property satisfies the needs of our guests.

An incident of less than a warm welcome reception cannot be excused. I apologise for your that experience. Be assured that it will receive focus in our ongoing training.

The room temperature matter has since been correted. You may have brought this to our attention at the time, i'm not sure. I recognise that the hour was late.

It was very encouraging that you had pleasant encounters with those in our housekeeping staff. That's what we strive for. Thak you for mentioning it.
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

beautiful, well equipped suites.
very helpful staff, goes the extra mile for their customers.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

Never realized one drawback to “kitchen” hotels until this trip. It seems that the hotel is quite popular with some longer stay clients from a certain country. I am quite a foody and have enjoyed a lot of different aromatic foods from around the world. In this case, my stomach just couldn’t handle the room I was assigned. The cooking smell from the last guest was still lingering after 8 hours of airing out the room. The next morning the smell was still there, and the hotel was good to move me to the other end of the hotel. However, at the other end of the hotel, there too were heavy odours. My after work walk thru the hallway back to my room was a mouth, stomach and eye watering experience.
I had checked with my Colleagues whom were staying at different area of the hotel, and apparently, this was a problem everywhere thru out the hotel. I am not sure if there’s anything the hotel can do about this issue, and I am writing this only as a warning to those that have a sensitive nose/ stomach. In general, I have to say that the hotel is well run and with nice extras, but I would hesitate to stay here again due to this stomach turning issue with it's long term guest.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business