All reviews corner desk pancake making machine good size yogurt next morning minute drive free breakfast front desk staff shuttle driver quiet location sunridge mall would stay here again great pool coffee maker free shuttle industrial area breakfast room
Reviewed August 15, 2017

We were a family of four visiting Calgary for the first time. We stayed for two nights. The hotel itself looked well kept and modern as do most Holiday Inn Expresses, it was clean which is all that really matters.

We had spent a long day travelling and after checking in we just wanted to go out and get something to eat. However when we tried to leave our room we discovered that our room door would not lock or even latch. You could literally push our door open without even touching the handle. I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up. After waiting 30 minutes, I called again, this time they said that the person who looks after these things was busy doing an airport run in the shuttle and would come up when they got back in approximately 30 minutes??? I explained that we were all very tired and hungry and waiting 30 additional minutes was unacceptable and I requested a new room, which they could not provide as they were apparently full. Then it was suggested that we could just go and leave our room unlocked and they were sure everything would be fine... really??? I don't think so. So the lady on the front desk said she would come up personally to have a look. After waiting another 15 minutes, I called once again. She said she was 'really busy' and would be up shortly. After waiting another 15 minutes (an hour or more in total) she arrived and tried to fix it. After working on it for a couple of minutes she got it partially working - that is to say if you really slammed it (SUPER HARD) it would latch and lock. So that got us out of our room to get something to eat.

When we returned, I called the front desk again to have it fixed properly. This time the lady who tried the first time came with the maintenance man/shuttle driver. The maintenance man said he was to busy driving the shuttle to look at it and that it would have to wait until the next day and then made a super lame joke about offering us a free breakfast for our troubles (breakfast was already free and that comment was NOT appreciated). Out of respect for my fellow guests, I pointed out how loud the door is when I slam it and that we were early risers. This didn't seem to concern anybody?

The next morning after our showers, we discovered that the hair dryer was not working. That was enough, I went to the front desk and asked to speak to the manager, who was not available. So I explained the problems with the room, that we would be out all day and they had all better be corrected upon our return. I also left my number and specifically requested that the manager contact me.

The day passed with the manager NOT contacting me so at 4pm I called the hotel and was told the manager had just left a little while ago for the day. I requested the managers contact number which they would not give me so then I requested the managers e-mail and proceeded to type most of the above to the manager.

When we returned to our room that night everything was indeed corrected.

The next morning we checked out and left. I did get a call from the manager that day around 10:30AM. She said she called my room twice the previous day. Which may or may not be true but makes no sense as I specifically stated that we would be out all day and left my number for her to call me directly? Anyway, she did apologize and gave us 20% off of our stay for our troubles. Not near enough for our troubles, but it was something at least.

This was our first time staying at this hotel so take it for what it is worth. This may have been typical for this hotel or it may have been just a bad day. I do not know. But on the day, it was not good enough.

At check in the staff were friendly, after our headaches, not so much. In the morning there was a free, large, hot/cold breakfast with ample choices to get your day started.

It is located close to the airport with a Moxie's just a couple of minutes walk away. We ate there twice - fantastic. About a 20-25 minute drive to the downtown area and a 20-25 minute drive in a different direction to WinSport (well worth a visit).

One other headache, and in fairness, this is true of most places we stay. When the reservation is for a family of four why are there only three sets of towels in the room???

I have not yet decided if I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank BRBC
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2017

Hi BRBC!

Thank you for your willingness to share your feedback with us. I'm glad to know that we have exceeded your expectations on the comfort and cleanliness of our rooms. Um very sorry to learn though that your stay was not a complete success because of an issue with your door lock and hair dryer in your room.

We strive to provide our guests exceptional facilities and a memorable stay. I've passed on your comments to our maintenance team to ensure that necessary steps will be taken to correct the flaw you've raised.

I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us among your many lodging options in the city. In spite of the setback, I'm hopeful that our property will be your go-to hotel whenever you are in the area.

Many thanks,

Gian M
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed August 12, 2017

The wife, myself and the Kids drove down from Edmonton to do a little bit of shopping, and to visit one of the kids' Aunts.
Check-in was extremely quick and super easy with a text message confirmation code, which was awesome, because the 5 year old had to go potty... lol
Up the elevator to the 2nd floor, and into a sparkling clean room. We did the Suite for an extra $20 per night, because we were only staying 2 nights, and had the kids (nearly 6 year old and almost 3 year old), so we got the dated Hide-a-bed sofa in the separate room. Not sure when the hotel bought it, but trust me, it's time to throw it away.. Nothing I like better than sleeping on a thin mattress with a metal bar across the rib cage. So, the second night, dodging my almost 3 year old in the queen sized bed was nearly a success.
The kids love water, so we went and took advantage of the pool. The hot water shower is awesome! Until you step into the cool pool. After a while, the pool water is okay, but then the cool air that is circulating in the room makes for goosebumps on any part that is out of the water. The hot tub Jacuzzi is really nice :)
The hotel staff were super friendly! everyone from the receptionists, to the breakfast lady, and the room cleaners who insisted that I take the elevator all to myself from the second floor to the first floor (I didn't, but almost had to pull her cart on to join me). I don't mind sharing elevator with anyone.
The room had ample power plugs, and a decent television channel selection (that we really didn't use).
The wi-fi in the room was powerful enough to run 2 iPads and 2 smart phones all at the same time. I didn't take a speedtest measurement, but it was great at streaming youtube, etc.
Lighting was decent, black-out curtains were decent, and the beds were ok.
We are fond of this chain, and will continue to use them whenever we finally travel again. :)

Room Tip: 215 has a horrible pull-out bed.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2017

Hi Andrew F,

Thank you for your stay and fo the candid feedback that you have provided. We are happy to hear that you that you appreciated our location and our rooms. We value your comments. This is a continuous process as we strive further in making our product and services from good to great.

We value you as our guest and thank you for the three out of five stars rating, we hope to earn those extra two stars with your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Christian C.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed August 12, 2017

Very handy location for getting around Calgary and conveniently close to the Airport. Rooms were excellent, tastefully decorated, clean, with medium firmness beds and a selection of soft and hard pillows.
Bathroom was spacious with lots of room to maneuver.
Desk was well set up for a business traveller working on computers and project work.
Really nice to have a hot breakfast in the morning with a choice of bacon or sausages and eggs. I hate it when I can't have a solid breakfast, so I was very happy about this.
Parking was good if you get in early to the hotel.
Convenient to have Chops & Moxies restaurants with in short walking distance of the hotel.
Conference rooms were excellent and suitable for business meetings.
Staff was really helpful and professional. My thanks to them for everything they did.
Nice view of the Calgary sky line from the south rooms.
Really quiet which surprised me being that close to the airport.
Shuttle was fast and cycled back and forth quickly from the airport.
Hotel is basically on the East side of Barlow Trail and the Harley Davidson of Calgary dealer is right on the west side. Definitely worth going over there and seeing the bikes. :)
Also close to the Aero Museum which is really worth seeing.

Room Tip: South side is the best. Less airport noise and good view of city. :)
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Sox_The_Wanderer
Reviewed August 8, 2017

We needed a place for the night while enroute BC to Saskatchewan. Price was right, and this hotel is one of the best HIE, we have stayed at. Clean fresh, quiet and friendly helpful staff. The rooms are well laid out and spacious. Beds comfortable and the usual showerhead. The breakfast bar was clean and while the usual variety, it seemed better.
So why not five stars, well, the hotel is in an industrial area with no restaurants in the area. One over priced gas station in the area. so other than that, great take a room on the EAST side

Room Tip: High floor EAST side
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

Great pool with a water slide for kids, complimentary breakfast, quiet location, and clean. We booked for one night and returned for a second. Will definitely consider this hotel again if we return to Calgary.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family