“Absolutely marvelous”

Ranked #642 of 3,874 Restaurants in Calgary
Neighbourhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Neighbourhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Reviewed January 1, 2018 via mobile

If u are a vegan or vegetarian or have some allergies but still wish to enjoy Chinese original flavor n taste. than this place is for u . be very specific about ur choices and ingredients. They try their best to serve ur choice. but be up front. I liked it you try it!

Reviewed December 21, 2017

When I switched over to a plant-based diet I went looking for veg-friendly restaurants in the city and Buddha's Veggie popped up on that search. The reviews were really good, and firsthand testimonials from friends and acquaintances were also really positive. I finally tried it myself and I'm glad to say the food lived up to the hype.

First of all, herbivores are spoiled for choice at Buddha's Veggie. (Given the name, and all.) There is a whole separate menu for us plant eaters, filled with dozens of choices. The novelty of going to a restaurant where I had more than a couple of choices was a little overwhelming, so I played it safe and went with the Veggie Spare Ribs, Veggie Ginger Beef, and Mixed Veggie Fried Rice. My omni companion had the meat equivalents from a different menu. The spare ribs really were quite good. I'll have them again at some point, but there are so many other items I want to try on my next visit. All of the food was really good. REALLY. GOOD. A great subtle blend of flavours, and that crispy chewy texture where you really want the crispy chewy texture. The food wasn't really greasy, or drenched in heavy sugary sauces, as is often the case with Chinese food. It was somehow light and fresh and I didn't have that gross heavy feeling in my stomach afterward.

Logistics: The restaurant isn't that large, so it's a good idea to make a reservation. The decor is quite dated, but most Chinese food restaurants have dated decor, and isn't that part of the charm? Eating at Buddha's Veggie is a casual night out where you can enjoy great food and good conversation with your dining companion/s. Parking can be a bit tricky since there's only a very small parking lot behind the building, so leave yourself a few extra minutes in case you have to get parking on the street nearby.

Reviewed December 6, 2017

We have come to this restaurant for years. It was a pleasant location out of the downtown core. We will now go to our favourite restaurants downtown.. The last visit to Buddha was terrible. We had noticed a decline for awhile, but this was really poor. The salt and pepper squid came and was half filled with coated, deep fried onions. When I am paying for squid, I want squid. We ordered many dishes, but two, the spicy veggie ribs and the dry spicy eggplant came with the exactly same cayenne pepper spice on them. So needless to say, they overdid the same spice on three dishes. It was a nice place. Lastly, the dry ribs are the best in the world. Time to move on..

Reviewed October 30, 2017

My husband and I have been coming to Buddha's Veggie for special occassions for years, yesterday we brought my parents out for a birthday. My mom is a vegetarian, so this place was ideal as she could have some of each dish. The veggie spare ribs are my favourite thing on the menu, and the service was speedy and friendly.

Reviewed October 22, 2017

This is a funky little place with decor right out of the 70's across from Chinook Shopping Centre.

Upon arrival we were offered the veggie only menu as well as the meat eaters menu. As my daughter is vegan we decided to go for a vegetarian combo for two off the veggie menu. Everything was fresh and nicely presented and prepared. The combo starts with a creamy corn soup with tofu that was too hot to eat right away. We were brought spring rolls with a tofu and water chestnut filling which were different but quite tasty. Next we had a vegetable dish that with a wonderful assortment of perfectly prepared veggies, a large plate of "ginger beef" that was so close to the original it was difficult to tell the difference, and an ample bowl of rice.

Overall Budda was very good value for the money and an excellent choice for vegans/ vegetarians as well as those who are not.

Parking is a bit of a problem, although there are a few spots behind the restaurant but we were there early so we parked on the street.

Note: Buddha closes for a few hours after lunch service and reopens at 4:00 for supper service.

1  Thank Edmontongurl