“Interesting eating experience”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Neighbourhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Reviewed August 15, 2017

The food was full of flavour and the service from taking the order to bringing the meal was really quick. The temperature was piping hot and showed how freshly cooked the meal was. The portions were very generous, so much so that I had to ask for mine to be boxed for a take-out. (Enough for a second meal - easily). Good value for money and very friendly service. We only visited this restaurant on our first evening.

Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

An excellent place for seafood. We ordered spicy crab with lotus roots (you pick the seafood item an the sides you want it cooked with - there are roughly 15 options). I also picked the tilapia with chillies. These items were not on the regular menu - but on the posters. The Chinese menu was on iPads. There service was good and friendly.

Reviewed June 25, 2017

We ordered takeouts on the first visit, and was indulged by a spicy and yet delicious mala chicken (diced chicken with chilli). Everything was perfect except for the vegetable dishes. The lady-boss promoted in-house special mala crab on the next visit to dine-in.

So, we came a bit late on a Sunday night at 8:25pm, just in time for last order. We were greeted nicely by the lady-boss who still remember us. Ordered the in-house special crab (mild spicy) with several add-ons (tofu, rice cake, lotus root, and clam), and boy the chilli was the king of the dish. The crab itself was okay, meat was a bit mushy but still acceptable. But the sauce with to die for. Other than that, we ordered hot & sour soup, which came in indeed hot, but omigosh, tasted like the chef spilled a bottle of vinegar onto it! Was really too sour for our liking. Wonton soup was good, but fried rice was a tad too dry with nothing but rice taste.

So, upon checkout (9:15pm) we were greeted with the lady-boss asking how was everything, at first, we complimented the great taste of the crab, but we were brutally honest with the hot & sour soup being too sour. The lady-boss harshly replied with : "no, I don't think so, this is what it supposed to be. It's hot & sour soup you know! ", with an increased tone defending the chef. My father insisted on being too sour (which was really SUPER sour) and seems like the lady-boss keep defending her cuisine with pride that shouldn't even be shown. Come on, you can't stand even 1 critique? Service is a HUGE part of your business, lady!

Then she came in again at 9:25pm showing the bill and asking for payment to be settled right away, while we were still finishing the crab dish. Of course we denied their inquiries and asking them to settle other guest first, who did came EARLIER but never asked for the payment, and allowing them to finish in a timely manner. I can understand that it was Sunday and everybody wants to go home faster, but this is ridiculous! I don't know if this lady is being very racist, because we can't speak Chinese & the other guest was obviously Chinese that (of course) can speak their language, but that is not acceptable in Canada!

Lady-boss, please watch your attitude, and you have to remember that customer is the one contribute to your income!

2  Thank ivanwikanta
Reviewed December 19, 2016

We had the $35 crab meal and found it wonderful. I saw the other review with issues with the amount of meat and ours was quite the opposite. We had the Crab with the Rice cakes and cut bread sticks. I thought it was great! We ordered it Mild, the thin red chilies you have to be careful, they are super hot.

Using the Rice Cakes and Bread for soaking up the sauce was great. So much flavor, I wish there was more sauce though. I wouldn't hesitate to order this one again. Two Crabs are good for two people. There were three of us so we had the the Satay Beef as well. This one is another winner! We ordered the clam soup, I wouldn't get this one again didn't like it at all. Way to lemony! The sizzling soup is way better in my opinion.

We have had the Ginger Chicken and the Moo Shu Chicken which I can never get enough of. My only negative on the Moo Shu is you have to order more pancakes as there is way more filling than pancakes. Oh well small issue but still.

Overall this location is very different than the South Calgary location. Great food at both just different. I always enjoy this place. Very welcoming, I think the biggest issue is the limited parking. Very small lot, but there is off street parking.

Reviewed October 1, 2016

I went there with my family, and took a deal of 2 crabs for $35. The deal appeared to be good, however it turned out to be 2 shells with some crab legs only. No meat left at all! The manager said that this was supposed to be like that due to their special cooking method. But I checked with other customers and they did have everything. The restaurant refused to give me any discount and claimed that it was already a promotion. Not sure if this belongs to some sort of cheating. Have decided not to visit this restaurant any more.

Besides, their food are very oily and unhealthy. If you really like Szechuan Restaurant, please go to a good one located in 16 Ave and Centre Street in NW. I visited there at least once a week.