“best hostel stay ever”

HI Edmonton
alberta
“best hostel stay ever”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Staying at the hostel was way better then i was expecting, we stayed there mainly to save money and its so close to the fringe festival. Parking is great and its in a safe and comfortable neighborhood. The front desk was a little creepy but when we got to our private room, me and my friends just loved it :D. floors and beds were clean and a window that works and looks out onto a quiet street. My friends and i checked out the bathrooms and they were very clean and looked newly renovated and private shower stalls with an awesome shower head. Besides having only one sink and mirror, it was managable since there wasnt that many ppl there( just remember to bring shower sandles if your sqimish about using a stall you heard someone horking snot in earlier). Sheets looked and smelled clean but not the best in the world for quality but its a hostel not the hilton :S and if your picky about pillows, bring your own, but on the other hand was pretty good. Felt very safe with the sercurity card locks too. Kitchen was clean and everyone was chill hanging out in the common room. Came home not feeling itchy ( a huge bonus!!) My friends and i loved it and are staying there again for the nxt fringe fest :)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fort St. John (Northern BC)
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Do not cross this one off your list just because of the 2 previous reviews. I booked this hostel back in the last weekend of June 2008 because it was 1 block off of Whyte Ave. Keep in mind this is 1 year after the two previous bad reviews. I felt I needed to drop a review in here because my stay was good.
This is a typical hostel. The rooms are tiny and basic. There is a desk, a place to hang clothes and a mirror in my 1 bunk room I shared with my friend. The room was clean and the washrooms were clean too. Paid internet terminals were good. I did not explore any of the other facilities though, I was too busy shopping and exploring Edmonton. Since I was only planning to sleep in my accomodations I decided to go with a hostel so I could save some money instead of paying for an expensive hotel and instead I bought a couple extra pairs of jeans! I had no problem checking in, the attendant was good. What more can you really expect from a hostel, it was a good clean quiet place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank SnowPirate
Calgary
Reviewed 2 November 2007

I made a reservation and when I arrived a young lady was sanding outside smoking,and asked me if I was checking in and I said "yes" and she then told me she was on a break and would come in after.So we waited and when she arrived I asked her if I could see the rooms as I had heard some negative things about the place.She then took us up and showed us a dark, small and dreary room.I knew not to expect much as this was a hostel,and the price is cheap.I then asked her about the washroom which was across the hall.She told me it was closed and we would have to walk over to the other attached building to use the washrooms and showers.They have had ample time to fix this dump up,as it has been looking pretty shabby for a few years now.At least they could have some courtesy to let the customer know that the bathrooms are out of order BEFORE they arrive,only to be inconvenienced.Unfortunately,the only other year- round hostel in Edmonton is also reported to be a dump,so we found a very decent motel for about 20 bucks more a night,but well worth it ,over this hellhole.

• Liked — Location of the property.
  • Disliked — No working bathroom closeby.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank swcgy

Travellers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2007

This hostel has some good points, and some real downsides. I arrived and the staff member was very friendly, however my mood dropped when I walked into my tiny room. It was a shared room that had the atmosphere of a morgue. Everything was plastic covered, the bedding was threadbare and old - the pillow was lumpy and very old - the mattress was plastic covered so not that comfortable, and the walls were dirty, alongside graffiti on the bed. The bathroom was strewn with toilet paper, sludge and mess, and in the morning was closed with a sign saying 'out of order'. No alternative was offered. On the upside, and if you don't mind 'holding it in', they had free wireless internet in the common room, and the location is good near Whyte Ave. I talked to two other women at the hostel who had stayed there before and said they were shocked at how bad the state of the place was. They weren't surprised when I said I was checking out - they were doing the same. I have done the hostel circuit before and never complained - but this was beyond the pale.

Stayed October 2007