“Disappointing”

Ranked #471 of 2,615 Restaurants in Edmonton
Neighbourhood: Oliver
Neighbourhood: Oliver
Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

I was SO looking forward to fresh crisp fish and chips at a restaurant that specializes in these favorites of mine. Instead, I received limp greasy fish , and so-so fries , the latter tasting like the days old fish oil. What a pity. It's actually a really cherry attractive venue , airy, checkered table cloths, comfy booths and great service. But how long has it been since the owner has eaten here I wondered? Does he know what's coming out of his kitchen these days for guests?

The fish itself was actually of good quality I could tell, but leaving the restaurant with a genuine bad taste in my mouth, I was forced to retreat to a neighbouring tea house for some Golden Oolong and apple pie. Then I went back home.

It's not often that I have to give an Edmonton eating establishment a poor review, but unfortunately this one earned it. Seeing that other diners have had better luck at Back Home than myself, I'm hoping that this Tuesdays meal will not greet future diners, and it was an off night.

1  Thank John H

Reviewed October 28, 2016 via mobile

Had one piece of fish with fries, dressing and gravy. Fries could of been cooked longer and they were soggy also, maybe oil wasnt hot enough? Dressing (stuffing) was okay but i have had better.

Fish was okay but not as crispy as id like, again maybe due to oil temperature. Will probably just drive to atlantic kitchen in fort saskatchewan next time, and it is about the same commute for me anyways.

Reviewed October 20, 2016 via mobile

I went to this restaurant with my boyfriend on Oct 18, 2016 at 645pm.

LOCATION AND APPEARANCE: The location is close to other restaurants and shopping areas. The building itself is large with lots of space and tables. When we went, there was only one other table eating, and the rest was empty. The restaurant and its decor seemed outdated, but it was clean. We didn't use the bathrooms so I can't comment on the cleanliness on that.

FOOD: I ordered chicken fingers and caesar salad and my partner ordered the small fish and chips, which included 3 pieces of haddock and a good portion of fries. I enjoyed my chicken fingers and my partner really liked the fish. Fries weren't super hot coming out, but they were good.

PRICE: the chicken fingers was $10 and the fish and chips was $17.95. We both drank water. Total cost of the bill was $29.30 which I found to be a fair price.

SERVICE: Our food came within 15 minutes of ordering and we only sat for a few minutes before being attended to. The waitress was friendly and attentive. With that said, there was only 1-2 other tables with people there when we were eating so we expected the service to be quick, which it was.

OVERALL: Overall, I would recommend this place. It was tasty and it had fair prices.

1  Thank mills6025
Reviewed August 25, 2016 via mobile

Awesome place, very generous portions @ very reasonable prices. ... Lunch specials, supper specials this restaurant is special. Definitely family friendly. FREE UNDER GROUND PARKING . NOT fancy... excellent value

1  Thank Phillip G
Reviewed August 16, 2016

Fish & chips good portions properly done. Ask for crispier if you like 'me well done for the better.

1  Thank Barry T