“There are NO fireplaces in the business class rooms!”

Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites
Ranked #14 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Camrose, Canada
“There are NO fireplaces in the business class rooms!”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Contrary to the website, there are no fireplaces in the business class rooms. We upgraded our reservation while online because we understood that the higher amenities in the business class rooms included a fireplace.
Our room was not ready until well after 5:30 pm. As frustrating as this was when we returned after dinner, we found a very nice large room with a couch, chair and flat screen TV, king bed was comfortable, small fridge and microwave. The room was clean and the decor was nice.
I would recommend this hotel for a quiet sleep prior to flying from YEG. (close to airport)
Breakfast was over by 9:30am so we missed it. I would recommend that it be till 10:30 am on Sat and Sat. Also staffing appears to be an issue, more help at the front desk may have helped during the check-in process.
I spoke with another family in the elevator and they were disappointed with their room and reminded me of the poor water pressure in the shower. I brought this and the check in issue with the front desk manager and he was sincerely sorry and assured me that the hotel was aware of some staffing concerns and encouraged me to call him personally if we would be willing to stay in the future. I may do this.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank travelcoleen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I used to stay closer to downtown or closer to West Edmonton Mall but since the South Edmonton Inn & Suites opened up I won't stay anywhere else. The rooms are nice and clean and as a Rewards member I always appreciate the upgrades when available (especially because I don't have to ask for it, they just take care of it!)

The hotel is in a great spot right at the crossroads of Anthony Henday and Highway 2 / Gateway Blvd which makes it easy for me to get wherever I need to go in Edmonton. Close to lots of good eating and shopping (outlets, etc) at South Edmonton Commons and not far from the airport.

Room Tip: Any room is good. Even the ones on the highway side are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Mandy S, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Don,

It is our pleasure to have you at our hotel. Whether you are traveling on business or pleasure, we know you have a variety of hotels to choose from and I am happy that you continue to chose us!. We strive to provide you a room that is clean and comfortable, with friendly attentive service at a value conscious price. And we always want to be your first choice.

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites again and again. We look forward to serving you on your next trip. Thank you!

White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

So this is a nice hotel. Nice lobby, nice "suite" (not 2 rooms, just area slightly divided. Nice bathroom with shower/tub and great water pressure, great bed - so cozy. Strange looking room as there is one tv in between the 2 areas, which works fine, but looks skimpy and creates a visual of lots of cords.
Breakfast, ugh. But I never like Best Western or Holiday Inn complimentary breakfasts. Ran out of brown bread and coffee, but was refilled eventually.
Asked for a quiet room and was put in the only section of the hotel that directly faces the freeway! The lady at front desk was lovely and fixed this for me...but all the was left was in front of the elevator (not so quiet, but better than the EXTREME noise from the freeway.
Only one person working at this hotel, it seemed. Front desk girl was run off of her feet and customers were all waiting each time I went past.
For those of us who collect points, absolutely NO recognition for being a diamond member. Saw water bottles behind desk, but was not offered one. Certainly different from Priority Club.
I still have to give Hampton the thumbs up for this price range and area.

Room Tip: do not get a room facing the freeway - the trucks are raging through there all night long
2 Thank cpallo
Mandy S, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Cpallo,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. Feedback is always welcome and valuable in our continued efforts to upgrade areas where attention is needed. I encourage you to contact me with some suggestions for breakfast as well as I am always looking for ways to improve what we have to offer but have run out of ideas. Our breakfast is fully equipped with bacon/sausage, two kinds of eggs, breads, muffins, danish, fresh waffles, cereals, bagels, yogurts, fresh fruits and oatmeals. I am very eager to hear how or what we can add in order to ensure our guests feel satisfied with what we have to offer.

We apologize that your stay did not measure up to your expectations. Our hotel is very conveniently located close to major routes, however this does at times create extra road noise which is out of our control. Most times we can accomodate light sleepers requests to be away from the noise but we aren't always able to do so. Room assignments are done day of arrival and often times the quieter end of the building is full with stays which limit where we can put new arrivals. Again, we try our best but it is not always possible.

As for staffing, because we are a limited service hotel we run with two on front desk at every shift but normally never more than that. I am guessing that someone was on a break at the time you checked in or behind the counter doing other tasks. We do try to ensure we have enough staff on shift but at times there are rushes that can't be immediately handled no matter how many staff are working.

I do apologize for not being recognized as a Diamond Member. As you mentioned, I even put out the snacks and water to remind our staff to always recognize our members, she may have been busy and unfortunately you were missed. I do want to let you know that I have in place an extra 250 bonus points for our Diamond members that automatically get applied to ensure you are acknowledged in some way! I will continue to work with my agents on this issue.

Again, your feedback is of great value. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Feel free to call me direct at 780-801-3577 to discuss the breakfast and how I can improve it..

Best Western Plus South Edmonton
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stay in Edmonton quite often and have recently switched from staying at another hotel to this one. The rooms are very clean, price is reasonable, and the staff is friendly. There are good restaraunts in the adjacent hotel which is nice as there is only breakfast served here.

1 Thank Nat M
Mandy S, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear Nat!

I am so happy we are now your Number 1 choice while travelling to Edmonton. We are always working hard to ensure our guests enjoy their stay and our staff love to hear it when they do.

I will pass along all the great things you had to say and we will continue to provide the quality service and product that you enjoyed this time and every time in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to do this review!

Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel when friends of our family had a block of rooms booked for their wedding. We have 2 small children and the rooms were great for a family because of the microwave and fridge in each room. I found the rooms to be quite clean and spacious which is very important when travelling with kids. However, beyond the condition of the rooms, we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, especially the daytime staff at the front desk. They made the experience feel more personal, and were willing to help out with whatever was needed during our stay. Upon check out we had accidentally left something behind in our room, and although there was some confusion trying to track it down after we had left, they were very willing to resolve the situation to our satisfaction, which was greatly appreciated. We would definitely make a point of staying there again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Guest2012
Reviewed 24 January 2012

This hotel seriously lacks in customer service and the details. I have been traveling and staying with Best Western for more then five years and I have never come Accross a hotel that lacks as much details as this one. I was extremely pleased when Best Western released the new discrptor program to help differentiate the quality of the Best Western branded hotel you were staying at but this hotel is embarrassing to this new program. It's obvious why the hotel it self received the Plus discrptor -triple sheeting, higher end room products, etc but you ask an employee of this hotel - what or why the hotel is a Best Western Plus they either don't know or give a wrong answer. When I called to make a reservation they answered the phone "Best Western Inn & Suites". It left me confused. They didn't bother to properly introduce their discrptor or where the hotel was. I had to ask if I called the right hotel. I am also aware the property recently changed general managers since my last stay, which in all honesty was a great move in my opinion. I didn't get to speak or meet the new GM but her one sentence thank you for your reviews here on Trip Advisor doesn't seem promising. Housekeeping of this hotel was fine but when I stayed the sheets on my clean bed were wrinkle filled and were not nicely pressed like any other hotel Ive been to. It's interesting to me the reviews this hotel gets considering my stay a few months ago so I chose to voice my opinion. Something doesn't seem right. The location and decor of the hotel are great but that's not all that makes a hotel a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank iLoveBW1
Mandy S, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear Mr Ilovebw1.

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor.. I genuinely mean that when I say it, as all feedback whether negative or positive helps us to ensure the best possible service for our travellers.

From what I understand it has been a few months since you have been here and I have taken over the hotel probably shortly after your stay. I just want to point out that my number 1 priority is CUSTOMER SERVICE. I know what it is like to check into a hotel and not be made to feel welcome. We have had all new staff at the front desk and they are constantly learning and improving and I feel strong in the fact that if you were to give us another chance you will see why so many others feel we are top of the list while visiting Edmonton.

If you would care to discuss this further please feel free to call me direct at the hotel!

Best Western Plus South Edmonton
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I have been traveling a lot for 3 years all over Western Canada on business. I stay in hotels about 3/4 of the nights of each year. I have stayed in every hotel in all cities of Edmonton, Calgary, Regina etc. I have to say that the Best Western South Edmonton Inn & Suites is absolutely the best one I have stayed at. So much so, that normally I just book where ever the deals are and get what I get, but since finding this gem about 3 months ago I only stay here now in while in Edmonton. The hotel is new so as expected the rooms are very fresh and clean. They keep it that way consistently though. I keep my do not disturb sign up a lot as I work late and don't get to sleep until early the next day. Not once have I heard the "housekeeping" bangs on my door!! That is a treat. I have not tried the pool or exercise room but have poked my nose in from time to time and its always clean!! And last but not least the staff are all great. Everyone smiles and are wiling to help me out. Even when I need a spoon at midnight they figure it out! The manager, Mandy, has been especially fantastic. Always coming out to greet me when she knows I am here and has had my back on more than one occasion with credit card issues and parking problems. Will not stay any where else in Edmonton. I even have some freebie nights at other hotels available but will not use them!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Charles G
Mandy S, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you very much for your review!

I know that you have many options while travelling and the fact that you choose and continue to use us is greatly appreciated. Every day we try harder to ensure the best customer service and feedback like this will surely inspire and motivate all our staff.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.