New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“wonderful getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I recently stayed here with my spouse and our three children. We had a business suite, with two queen beds and a pull out couch. Our room was comfortable, clean and spacious. The bathroom was a bit small, but so is the bathroom at home! The beds were extremely comfortable, and the room was quiet with only a bit of noise from the highway out front. My children loved the pool and waterside, and we all enjoyed the options at breakfast. Overall, a great spot to stay to see some sights around Edmonton, and do a bit of shopping too. Only complaints are that the coffee is pretty weak, and that they had a hard time staying on top of towels for the pool. Pretty minor issues if you ask me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank NorthernMum74
Mandy S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear NorthernMum74,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind remarks! Our two queen business suite is very popular with families. The spacious two queen bedroom with pullout couch, fridges, microwaves and coffee makers provides most of the amenites a family would need. We try our best to ensure that when our guests visit, it is like a home away from home and I am happy to hear we hit the mark with you.

I look forward to seeing you again!
Happy Leap Year

Mandy Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at this hotel. It is a great place to stay when needing a rest. The rooms are clean and well laid out. The breakfast is a good (not great) start to the day and the fitness area is decent enough. Not sure of the pool as every time we have gone it has been full of kids...and the pool is not big.

We booked a jacuzzi suite which was a spacious room. We both fit in the tub but thankfully the misses is small as it would not fit most couples. Also the hot tap was off and needed to be tightened back on. No-one at the hotel to fault as the tap looks fine. The hotel needed to be informed.

Location is close to the highway, Edmonton's so-called outlet mall, Superstore and Walmart etc...

Some great restaurants nearby too.

All-in-all...a great place to stay and far cheaper than the hotels surrounding it. I will be back.

Room Tip: Not sure...always booked the jacuzzi suite so it has been on the back corner of the hotel facing the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear KIWIBOYCalgary,

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites for your recent stay in Edmonton. I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable time at our hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as many travellers use this site to decide whether to stay with us! Everytime we get reviews like yours it makes us more proud and pushes us to continue to provide the best customer service.

Is was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We hope to see you again soon.

High Level, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Originally I had pre-paid for a 2 night stay here and needed to extend my stay another 2 nights on a busy weekend in February. Front desk staff were very courteous and this was not a problem at all. Rates were very reasonable and All of my requests while staying with my 2 small children were met including a Playpen, extra towels and blankets. My King suite was very spacious and clean. One day I requested no housekeeping service and was pleased to see that no one entered my room at all while i was away (which has happened at other hotels I have stayed at). Pool area was mainly well kept except bathrooms. They must use more salt than chlorine in pool water and I like that. Slide was quite fast, older kids won't get bored. Free continental breakfast had an excellent selection for all ages.
A few minor complaints - Key card(s) did not work for secondary outside access even after reprogramming (I think it was the door) and Front Desk ran out of change for coin laundry. Like I said minor.
Otherwise had a really great stay here and we will be back.

Room Tip: The king suite is a great value and room is really spacious.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank bmpeters
Dear Mr. BMPETERS.

On behalf of all our staff I am happy to hear you had a wonderful stay. Many agree; our pool is awesome and the kids love it. I am glad yours did as well!

The Management and staff are always pleased to be your hosts and I am happy that we were able to demonstrate our services and skills that we strive to provide each and every guest that comes to visit.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the the Best Western Plus South Edmonton and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Camrose, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

Contrary to the website, there are no fireplaces in the business class rooms. We upgraded our reservation while online because we understood that the higher amenities in the business class rooms included a fireplace.
Our room was not ready until well after 5:30 pm. As frustrating as this was when we returned after dinner, we found a very nice large room with a couch, chair and flat screen TV, king bed was comfortable, small fridge and microwave. The room was clean and the decor was nice.
I would recommend this hotel for a quiet sleep prior to flying from YEG. (close to airport)
Breakfast was over by 9:30am so we missed it. I would recommend that it be till 10:30 am on Sat and Sat. Also staffing appears to be an issue, more help at the front desk may have helped during the check-in process.
I spoke with another family in the elevator and they were disappointed with their room and reminded me of the poor water pressure in the shower. I brought this and the check in issue with the front desk manager and he was sincerely sorry and assured me that the hotel was aware of some staffing concerns and encouraged me to call him personally if we would be willing to stay in the future. I may do this.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelcoleen
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I used to stay closer to downtown or closer to West Edmonton Mall but since the South Edmonton Inn & Suites opened up I won't stay anywhere else. The rooms are nice and clean and as a Rewards member I always appreciate the upgrades when available (especially because I don't have to ask for it, they just take care of it!)

The hotel is in a great spot right at the crossroads of Anthony Henday and Highway 2 / Gateway Blvd which makes it easy for me to get wherever I need to go in Edmonton. Close to lots of good eating and shopping (outlets, etc) at South Edmonton Commons and not far from the airport.

Room Tip: Any room is good. Even the ones on the highway side are nice and quiet.
Dear Don,

It is our pleasure to have you at our hotel. Whether you are traveling on business or pleasure, we know you have a variety of hotels to choose from and I am happy that you continue to chose us!. We strive to provide you a room that is clean and comfortable, with friendly attentive service at a value conscious price. And we always want to be your first choice.

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites again and again. We look forward to serving you on your next trip. Thank you!

White Rock, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

So this is a nice hotel. Nice lobby, nice "suite" (not 2 rooms, just area slightly divided. Nice bathroom with shower/tub and great water pressure, great bed - so cozy. Strange looking room as there is one tv in between the 2 areas, which works fine, but looks skimpy and creates a visual of lots of cords.
Breakfast, ugh. But I never like Best Western or Holiday Inn complimentary breakfasts. Ran out of brown bread and coffee, but was refilled eventually.
Asked for a quiet room and was put in the only section of the hotel that directly faces the freeway! The lady at front desk was lovely and fixed this for me...but all the was left was in front of the elevator (not so quiet, but better than the EXTREME noise from the freeway.
Only one person working at this hotel, it seemed. Front desk girl was run off of her feet and customers were all waiting each time I went past.
For those of us who collect points, absolutely NO recognition for being a diamond member. Saw water bottles behind desk, but was not offered one. Certainly different from Priority Club.
I still have to give Hampton the thumbs up for this price range and area.

Room Tip: do not get a room facing the freeway - the trucks are raging through there all night long
2 Thank cpallo
Mandy S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Cpallo,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. Feedback is always welcome and valuable in our continued efforts to upgrade areas where attention is needed. I encourage you to contact me with some suggestions for breakfast as well as I am always looking for ways to improve what we have to offer but have run out of ideas. Our breakfast is fully equipped with bacon/sausage, two kinds of eggs, breads, muffins, danish, fresh waffles, cereals, bagels, yogurts, fresh fruits and oatmeals. I am very eager to hear how or what we can add in order to ensure our guests feel satisfied with what we have to offer.

We apologize that your stay did not measure up to your expectations. Our hotel is very conveniently located close to major routes, however this does at times create extra road noise which is out of our control. Most times we can accomodate light sleepers requests to be away from the noise but we aren't always able to do so. Room assignments are done day of arrival and often times the quieter end of the building is full with stays which limit where we can put new arrivals. Again, we try our best but it is not always possible.

As for staffing, because we are a limited service hotel we run with two on front desk at every shift but normally never more than that. I am guessing that someone was on a break at the time you checked in or behind the counter doing other tasks. We do try to ensure we have enough staff on shift but at times there are rushes that can't be immediately handled no matter how many staff are working.

I do apologize for not being recognized as a Diamond Member. As you mentioned, I even put out the snacks and water to remind our staff to always recognize our members, she may have been busy and unfortunately you were missed. I do want to let you know that I have in place an extra 250 bonus points for our Diamond members that automatically get applied to ensure you are acknowledged in some way! I will continue to work with my agents on this issue.

Again, your feedback is of great value. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Feel free to call me direct at 780-801-3577 to discuss the breakfast and how I can improve it..

Best Western Plus South Edmonton
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stay in Edmonton quite often and have recently switched from staying at another hotel to this one. The rooms are very clean, price is reasonable, and the staff is friendly. There are good restaraunts in the adjacent hotel which is nice as there is only breakfast served here.

1 Thank Nat M
Mandy S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear Nat!

I am so happy we are now your Number 1 choice while travelling to Edmonton. We are always working hard to ensure our guests enjoy their stay and our staff love to hear it when they do.

I will pass along all the great things you had to say and we will continue to provide the quality service and product that you enjoyed this time and every time in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to do this review!

Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites