“Best Indian food I have ever had”
Review of Guru Restaurant

Guru Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Guru Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 2,590 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have never eaten Indian food before. I've always been scared of other people's tales of too much curry...or pooping a laser beam. This place was AMAZING! Ok, decor, so my style. Music in the background? Cultural and tasteful. Food? Out of this world. I had the Butter Chicken Panini (I know, you're thinking, OK you're cheating, butter chicken is Indian food for dummies). It was so refreshing, flavorful...sigh - so good. It came with a bowl of curry vegetable soup - spicy, sweet and tasty and some fritters (kinda like potato tempura?). The spice/heat was perfect - each bite had an appropriate amount of heat but it didn't build until you couldn't taste your food, it was just there. The flavor of spices came in waves like the ocean...OK I stole that line from the executive chef - who BTW is a very handsome, impressively trained, amazingly nice man. He came to talk to us about our meal and our experience and food in general (it was an early Sunday lunch so he had a bit of time to chat). Our naan was freshly made...and I know that because you can see the ktichen where they make everything :)
We ordered 4 butter chicken samosas to take home (we live 5 hours out of Edmonton) and I took my soup home. The portions are large - and that's the idea. As the EC explained, he wants you to share the food with those around you and he wants you to take it home to remind you of your time at the restaurant. Such a nice guy!
My husband had Rajput (that's not really what its called - but close) Warrior Lamb with saffron rice and a neat, refreshing salad on the side with fresh Naan. OMG - so good. The lamb was not the feature of that dish, the curry was :) ...in a good way.
We can't wait to go back! This place just got added to our "VISIT EVERY TIME WE'RE IN EDMONTON" list....along with Mikado :)

1  Thank Stacy J

Reviewed March 4, 2012

I used trip advisor to pick a restaurant to take my sweetheart for his b'day. I was looking for a authentic romantic restaurant. After reviewing the TA list I decided upon GURU. This is my summation.
A restaurant that caters to a western crowd as I was really missing the authentic, ethnic feel. I was hoping for an atompshere that transported me to India from the moment I walked in. This did not happen. I was hoping for waiters and waitresses in cultural attire...not the case. haha..but..the service was good...atmosphere was comfortable and the food...AMAZING! BUT..only amazing for chickens like me..who don't venture much into the spicy world. If you were a native Indian..you would not eat at this restuarant. We ordered the Shrimp Pakora, calamari, lamb, veggie dish (forget name),garlic naan. All to die for..unreal how the spice was so perfectly blended in every dish to make a perfect taste. The naan was the best I have had . So flavorful and with a slight crisp. mmmmmmmm...yummy! Would have liked more Indian in the beverage list, and I guess...a bit more Indian everywhere..haha...but other than that. The food...OMG. The best! :)

1  Thank beckstar999
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We went to Guru Restaurant to celebrate my husband's birthday with family and a friend. We ordered an assortment of food, buttered chicken, tandori chicken, lamb curry, beef vindaloo, coconut naan, garlic naan and regular naan and samosa to start. The food was mildly spiced, but was good. The were quite small. Had we all ordered just for ourselves, I am sure I would have left starving. The average price for each of our small portions was anywhere between $16 -$22 CDN, which in my view was very expensive for what you got. The server was attentive, although the restauarant was almost empty, so I would hope it would be good service. The room was nicely decorated and the bathrooms were clean.

However, at the end of the day, I would not go back as there are plenty of other indian restaurants to choose from in Edmonton that are excellent in their service, food and portions.

1  Thank majohnson45
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I booked a reservation at Guru based on other Trip Advisor reviews and am so glad that I did. Our table was ready at exactly the time I had reserved it for. Our waiter was friendly and knowledgeable - but a bit over the top, personality wise, for some of our group. We definitely appreciated that the Guru has taken the time to create separate menus for those that require dairy and/or gluten free dishes as one person in our group has a serious dairy allergy. The appetizers came out quickly (mixed samosas). The butter chicken samosas were described as the Guru's 'specialty', and while good, we all preferred the traditional vegetable samosas. For our main dishes, we had the, garlic naan, roti, lamb vindaloo, channa masala, beef kabobs and biryani rice. We were given the option to indicate the level of 'heat' that we wanted in our dishes - we settled on a 6 out of 10 and it was perfect. We enjoyed all of our dishes, but the vindaloo was everyone's favourite. While the bill was not cheap - approximately $40 a person, including one drink and tip, we thoroughly enjoyed our evening and will plan to go back the next time I am in Edmonton.

3  Thank Raydayle
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I am fairly new to TripAdvisor but I have been using it for a few months to find great restaurants when I travel. I travel a lot...so it is great to have such a tool as trip advisor to help me make decisions, it takes all the guess-work out of it and ensures a great meal every time. I figured i should start making some reviews on the restaurants I visit and help others make their decisions.

OK, here goes...

From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, this is a great experience. It is easy to find, good parking, building is clean, decor is modern and you are greeted promptly and politely. Great wine list (moderate to experienced wine drinker) and well balanced menu. The selections are all great, I have visited this restaurant a few times and have tried most items on the menu. I have my favourites, and some items i would shy away from, but I think everyone has their own tastes. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and experiment with different dishes. My wife and I love the Chicken samosa, shrimp pacora, garlic naan and lamb vindaloo.

I really appreciate the fact that the chef (and I think owner) makes his way around the restaurant and speaks with every table, even on the busy nights. Hopefully this is something that will continue...

This is definitely our favourite Edmonton indian restaurant.

3  Thank Sean I