“Very Convenient...but rooms are quite old” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites

Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites
Ranked #47 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Canada
“Very Convenient...but rooms are quite old”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a day (Thursday) in March. I chose this location because it's close to the LRT stations and in the downtown area. The entrance of the hotel is in the downtown mall. The front desk staffs are courteous during my entire stay there.

I got a king-sized bedroom on the 5th floor right by the elevator and the window faces the mall. It was obvious that the room was quite old and hasn't been furnished for a while (or at least it doesn't look like it had been renovated...). Basically, other than the bathroom counter in the room, everything looks really old. The chair by the desk had lots of stains in it, so I didn't even bother sitting in it. I spotted a few stains (hopefully they are just coffee stains) on the bedsheets. The plug to the bathroom tub didn't work so wasn't able to check out the jet tub. But to be honest, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to use it since the tub looks so old and I'm a bit skeptical about it. The water pressure and the temperature of the water were all good, so I did get a decent shower after a long day.

Unfortunately on the night that I was there, they had issues with the TV channels (was told due to Shaw Cable) after 8:45pm...I was stuck with having nothing to do when I waited till 9:15pm (and the mall was already closed)...so I headed straight to bed. The bed was really comfortable though. I had a bit of noise issue...at around midnight, or may be it was 11pm, people must have just gotten out of the movie theatre just 2 floors below my room in the hoel...there were a few rowdy groups that woke me up...then around 1am, I had a group of people chatting outside my room that woke me once again...I guess you can't really control the people coming out of the theatre, but getting a room farther away from the elevators is always a much better idea to avoid having noise issues.

So overall...
PROS : Convenient location (mall access, LRT stations, coffee shops - Starbucks, Second Cup, Tim Hortons are all within 5 min walk from hotel), Comfortable beds, Courteous staffs

CONS: Stained chairs, carpets & bedsheets, old bathtub, unstable TV connections (can't really blame the hotel if it's really Shaw Cable's fault), noise issue from movie theatre in the mall if room faces the inside.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ResDeltaEdmCentre, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites, responded to this review, 6 April 2010
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We were glad to hear that you were happy with our location, comfortable beds and our courteous staff. We do receive a lot of compliments in this regard. I was also sorry to hear that you did not get the good night sleep you were looking for due to noise coming from the adjacent theatre. I also wanted to advise that carpet and chair stains are being addressed with our regular deep cleaning schedule.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

I have stayed in this hotel three times before, both for very good rates.
I booked a suite as there were 3 adults staying in the room, but wasn't overly impressed. There was a large pillar in the middle of the room, which seemed odd. Also, the room just seemed a little old and dated.
Service is excellent at this hotel. Front desk staff is so nice! We were informed that parking in the garage is cheaper when you don't do it through the hotel.. I think it is about $20 if you pay Delta and $10-$15 if you just park it yourself.
I like the location, the mall is actually a very good mall.. good for when you don't want to deal with the West Edmonton Mall.. lots of shopping without so many people around.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing you comments on your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location with great shopping and that you received excellent customer service. I did want to mention when parking is purchased through the Hotel, it does provide you with in and out privileges, when purchased through the parkade it does not.
Regina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

We regulary fly into Edmton for the Oilers games and have stayed at a few hotels in the downtown area. However, we have officially come back to the Delta and will continue to do so. The rates are reasonable and the rooms are very large, well decorated and kept maintained. It is attached to the mall which is very convenient for shopping, movies and food. It is so easy to catch the LRT that you really don't need a jacket, except for the walk from the stop to the stadium. Best of all, the front desk staff at the Delta are absolutely amazing. They are helpful, courteous, happy and excellent employees. They great you like you are long lost family. If you are looking for a hotel in the downtown area for leisure, I highly highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ResDeltaEdmCentre, Dave, Director of Sales and Marketing at Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites, responded to this review, 23 February 2010
My name is Dave, I am the Director of Sales & Marketing at the Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel. Thank you for sharing you comments on your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and easy access to the LRT. It is quick to get to the game. I have taken the LRT from the Hotel several times to go and see the Oilers.
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

Wonderful little hotel in a fantastic location downtown, close to everything, and best of all, located adjacent (essentially within) a great little mall just steps from a movie theater and a splendid little restaurant (Lazia). Front staff was excellent, the atmosphere is calm, quiet, the hotel is clean and inviting. Free high speed internet was a nice touch. The rooms are very large yet still comfortable and cozy. The king bed was incredibly comfortable and offered an amazing sleep. And the price was very reasonable (although one would expect free guest parking yet it was quite expensive if purchased through the hotel). If you want a good night's sleep and a pleasant stay in a fine location in Edmonton, Delta Edmonton Centre is a great choice!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LetsGetAway-ca
ResDeltaEdmCentre, Director of Sales and Marketing at Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites, responded to this review, 22 January 2010
My name is Dave, I am the Director of Sales & Marketing at the Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel. Thank you for sharing you comments on your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and that you found our rooms large and comfortable. We hear that a lot form our return guests.
Alberta,Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2009

We spent a Family weekend in Edmonton recently and stayed one night at the Delta Centre Suite Hotel as a "treat" - having heard a lot of good things about the location. We got a pretty good rate on a 1 Bedroom King Suite through the Delta website using AMA (CAA).

For a first time visitor, the initial experience can be confusing - starting right from "where to park the car" to unload. There is no valet parking and very minimal unloading area (3 vehicles filled the area when we drove up). There is a designated parking area (parkade) to the NW of the hotel which is run by a separate company (CASH ONLY). We parked there and dragged our luggage to the hotel 1/2 block away.

The hotel as mentioned is located IN a mall but is easily accessable from outside. The Lobby is very pleasant and nicely appointed with lots of wood, glass and brass and a cozy fireplace in the registration area - complimentary local newspapers are available to guests in the lobby. Check in was quick and courteous. I wanted to compare my CAA rate with a promotion I saw on their website for "Bed & Parking", but was told that those prices were only available from the central Delta Booking - all that was available via the check in desk was the rack rate which in the words of the desk person was "quite HIGH". I heard a number of comments from staff that it was cheaper to pay the parkade directly rather than to try and buy a "parking package" rate through the hotel. I was happy with the CAA rate and so I didn't pursue the rate issue any further.

We got a room on the 4th floor looking toward the south (read the FAR end of the hallway from the single bank of elevators in the hotel). The first thing to greet our eye when we walked into the room was a HUGE pillar in the middle of the "living" area of the room. The room was very bland, poorly laid out and, although the furniture was in good condition, it had no style to it. The room had a sink and fridge but no microwave. There was a work area with a pull out desk for placing a laptop onto. The large pillar blocked the view of the flatscreen TV from the easy chair (okay to watch from the couch though).

A narrow hallway led to the washroom which was nicely appointed as was up to expectations - although there were only towels provided for 2 people :-) Cost saving measure, I guess. The bedroom area was small (when filled with the kingsize bed), with a large closet containing an ironing board and extra pillow and blanket. The television in the bedroom amoir did not work properly - just kept cycling through all the channels :-( Great for us guys but the ladies found it annoying ;-) Both the bed and the double pullout were quite comfortable and the room was nice and quiet.

The housekeeping standards at the hotel seemed to need a boost. There were a couple of wine glasses out side our door from previous guests that were still there when we left the next day. Supply carts seemed to be permanently stationed/abandoned at a number of locations along the hallway instead of tucked away in the housekeeping areas that we saw with the doors open. Although the main carpet area was clean, the corners revealed that the floor had not been "deep cleaned" in quite a while as the corners were white with dust and clutter.

The hotel rate included "Continental Breakfast" which we found out amounted to a $14/person credit (max 2 credits per room) toward breakfast at the restaurant attached to the hotel. It was also noted at check in that the "Sunday Brunch" was $23//person - so breakfast for 4 was still going to cost $64 + Tip + GST. We opted to walk a block down the street to Tim Hortons and spend SUBSTANTIALLY LESS on breakfast - although I am sure that the atmosphere was not nearly as relaxing as at the hotel restaurant!!!.

Overall, the hotel was a disappointment - The beds were comfortable and the staff were very helpful and professional - but I am glad we didn't pay more that $20 above the price of a room at Super 8. We were verbally offered their "best" room on a return stay based on my discussion with the desk staff. To give the hotel a break, I will assume that our "Unique" room was the structural "oops" in the architects design of the hotel. I would think that most architects would incorprate the large, structurally necessary pillars into walls where possible - this room missed out on that courtesy.

Would I return for another stay? . . . Probably not, given the other options available in downtown Edmonton that give more value for the $$.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

We are platinum members with Delta and this location is their worst one. The rooms are spacious and nice but they need to change the jet tubs as they are decades old. Ther service needs work, and language is a barrier at times so it can be hard to order room service. They do not have a full kitchen right now so you cannot order a full breakfast, but you pay full prices. Very nice people and great location.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovehvar
Comox,British Columbia,Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

Good clean rooms.Fairly good location for a downtown facility.Staff very friendly.Gym not too bad for a hotel gym,not fully equipped but enough for a reasonable workout.The hotel is connected or I shopuld say basically in a mall which can be conveniant for various reasons,shopping,movies,restaurants etc.Over I was satisfied with the hotel and the experiance

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank islandrockin
My name is Dave; I am the Director of Sales & Marketing at the Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel. Thank you for sharing you comments on your recent stay with us. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and hope you had a good workout in the Fitness room. Look forward to seeing you again.