“Large Rooms, Nice Decor” 4 of 5 bubbles

Radisson Edmonton South
Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Brunswick, Canada
“Large Rooms, Nice Decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a lay-over waiting on a flight. The hotel is very well decorated and the rooms are tastefully done. I stayed here using hotel points and when I arrived to my room there was a plate of fresh fruit, a bottle of sparkling water, and a hand written note welcoming me to the hotel.

The room was very clean as was the bathroom and the service in the hotel was exceptional. At one point there was a loud noise the continued near my room so I called the front desk and they switched me to a more quite area.

I stayed in a King suite with a Sleep Number Bed. I have to say that I did not find the bed very comfortable despite being able to "adjust" it. If I had to choose, I would switch to a regular bed. This is the only part that was lacking.

The hotel staff were very helpful in giving me decorations to get the the shopping center in town and providing me with a place to store my luggage while I waited for the room to become available. (I arrived at noon, check-in was not until 4)

Having early check-in available would have been a great help but was unavailable.

The early breakfast available for those leaving the hotel before breakfast in the dining room was available was fruit and muffins and was great to have before leaving for a long flight.

Overall, good stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Elecis
generalmanager4440, General Manager at Radisson Edmonton South, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
I would like to Thank you for staying at The Radisson Hotel Edmonton and for the wonderful feedback you have given in your review with regard your stay

We appreciate your comments regarding how much you enjoyed cleanliness of your room and the large and modern decor. I do apologize regarding your discomfort with the the sleep number bed; we do have a good number of rooms with conventional mattresses should you chose upon your retuen. It is also particularly pleasing to note your encouraging comments regarding our team’s friendliness, and I will be sure to pass your comments along to the team.
We do attempt to fulfill all early arrival checkins; I am guessing that we were running a full house when you arrived. I trust that we will be able to accomodate your request on your next visit to Edmonton

We truly apprecaite hearing from our wonderful customers, and are committed to providing outstanding customer service and modern comfortable accomodations.

All my thanks

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on a recent business trip to Edmonton. Long line up at check in and was surprised to get to my room and see a dirty room service tray outside and garbage in the bathroom garbage can.
I am not a huge fan of the sleep number bed but it was okay.
The location was fine and it was nice to have some meal choices in the hotel but the food and service were just fair.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing into the atrium.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
generalmanager4440, General Manager at Radisson Edmonton South, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Hotel Edmonton we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel, specifically regarding the Sleep Number Bed as well as the cleanliness of your guest bathroom. I can assure you that your comments have been thorougly reviewed by the executive housekeeper as well as the front office manager to ensure that we do not repeat the experience of your recent stay with us.
We appreciate your feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that we can meet or exceed your expectations in the future

Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Rooms are large and dial by # beds are the best! make sure to ask for it when making a reservation as not all have it.
Staff are all friendly and efficient.
No lounge but there is a pub conected to hotel. Great if you want appetizers and to watch a game on the big screen. However, if you want a quiet drink and a visit, go north 2 blocks to the Superstore liquor store, buy a bottle and visit in your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the sleep by # beds.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
generalmanager4440, General Manager at Radisson Edmonton South, responded to this review, 2 January 2012
Thank-you for sending us your comments regarding your most recent stay with our hotel

I was very pleased to see that you had such a positive experience while you were staying with us. I was happy to see that you found our sleep number bed to be so comfortable. I am delighted that you mention the friendliness of our staff as we take great pride in providing outstanding customer service . I will personally pass on your positive comments to all the appropriate departments.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback and we hope to see you again on your return to Edmonton

Sincerely

Yorktown, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

I slept great, ate great, and was able to use their fantastic exercise facilities during my stay. Issues I have with the hotel is that South Edmonton is a bit scarce for my liking and the concrete feel of the walls / architecture doesn't mesh well with the service / image the hotel is promoting. The hotel was under construction at the time of my stay and it looked like they were addressing the shady looking backside of the building including patios, etc. Would stay again only for the gym and service. I imagine the other hotels in the area have better rooms for the price, but can't beat the Radisson service.

Room Tip: Room facing North Edmonton....really quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback in regards to your most recent stay at the Radisson Hotel Edmonton.

I was very pleased to see that you had a wonderful experience here at the hotel during your stay. Providing exceptional guest services is one of our primary goals and I was delighted to read your comments regarding the Guest Services you received, that help to set us apart. I will be sure to pass on all of your nice comments to our staff.

Once again, thank-you for staying with us and we hope to see you soon.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Do not stay at this hotel on weekends or during Christmas party season. Half of the rooms open up to the main atrium containing two restaurants and a ballroom. We were up both nights until 1 a.m. because of the partying and music. When we called down about it we were offered to move to an exterior room but when you have so much luggage and all of it unpacked, it's really inconvenient to pack up and move at midnight.

Also, the hotel has sleep number beds and our remote was broken. We were stuck at 100, which is like sleeping on an ironing board or concrete floor. I had to sleep on my back because on my side, my arm and leg were going numb. Very uncomfortable!! Our friends had theirs working but they still said on the lower settings there is no support. It's like sleeping on a sagging air mattress, they said.

When I complained in the morning about both issues (noise and mattress) and told them how uncomfortable our night was, the front-desk lady said she couldn't discount my room because I paid for it online so we got half price brunch tickets. The brunch was almost $30 normally so we decided it was still not worth it.

The pool is nice and the workout facilities are great. The room was large and it was a good location.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room to begin with so you don't have to face the loud booming music and earl...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank-you for sending us your comments regarding your last visit at the Radisson Hotel Edmonton.

I was glad to read that for the most part you had a good time while you were at the hotel. I do apologize about the noise; we always try to do all that we can to minimize noise within the hotel. I was dissapointed to hear that your Sleep Number Bed was not working correctly. I do agree with you, it’s important to get a good night sleep and am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Our Sunday Brunch is regarded as one of the best in Edmonton. I was sorry to hear that our offer was not a good value to you

Again, thank-you for your feedback and we sincerely hope to see you again.

With thanks

Vermilion
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at the Radisson this weekend and it really ruined what would have otherwise been a nice weekend in the city. The hotel is old (has been there as long as I can remember - 35 plus years?) but it has been kept up to date. Nothing looks wore out, but the place is in need of a really good cleaning. The hallway on our floor was filthy and looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. The salt and pepper shakers that were outside one room when we arrived Saturday were still there when we left Sunday. The night stand in our room was covered in dust, the duvets were dirty, and there were holes in the sheets. The chairs in the restaurant are covered in a velvet fabric that is filthy, really filthy - stains, spots, food that had been splashed on them and had run down the backs is dried on. The final straw that ruined my whole weekend was the noise. When we checked in, I asked for a room that did not face the streets (this hotel is situated in between two major four-lane routes - Gateway Blvd going north and Calgary Trail going south). Our room faced inside, overlooking the atrium so there was no street noise but we had the displeasure of listening to the DJ and blaring country music until 1:00 in the morning. There are ballrooms that are accessed from and face onto the atrium and since it is Christmas party season, the rooms facing the atrium have to listen to the parties until they shut down at 1 or 2 in the morning. I slept for a total of about four hours and was not in a good mood the next day. Do yourself a favour and find someplace else to stay in Edmonton. I know I will.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments in regards to your recent stay at the Radisson Hotel Edmonton

First of all, I would like to thank-you for staying with us. I was disappointed by your comments regarding the noise and cleanliness issues that you encountered and I would like to personally apologize for it. I am confident that we could have provided you a different room had we been aware of the noise concern that you experienced. We take staff training and customer satisfaction very seriously at the hotel. As far as the restaurant chairs are concerned, they are cleaned professionally on a regular basis, and are scheduled for complete replacement this summer. There is no excuse for them being dirty at any point in time

Once again, thank-you for your feedback. We do take your concerns to heart.

Regards

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

This hotel was somewhat renovated a couple of years ago to give it a more modern look, but that was more cosmetic and now the upkeep is now falling behind.

There are many other new hotels just down the road towards the South Common Shopping area that have more to offer.

Pro's:
Spacious rooms
Underground parking

Con's
Not very clean - very dusty, spots of black grout in bathroom, and holes in bed linen etc.
Hotel is in need of repairs. Cracks in celing, black dust marks from vents in the hallway, door sticking, door handles loose etc.
Service is poor.
Cups in the rooms are not wrapped in plastic.
Not sure if they change the sham pillow cases very often because mine had a layer of dust on them.

I'm going to be taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Radisson Hotel Edmonton. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations.

You are correct, the Hotel was fully renovated in 2008 and 2009, and the rooms are modern and well appointed. Our linens are cleaned and replaced for each individual guest; and all linens were completely changed out for new linens in mid-December. I do apologize as to the state of cleanliness that you encountered and want to ensure you that your comments have been shared with my Housekeeping team to ensure that no guest encounters anything but the high standards that our loyal guests have come to expect from our team

We value your feedback and want to thank you for your insight. All of us at the Radisson Hotel Edmonton look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

With thanks