All reviews small balcony hi express free breakfast bed was very comfortable breakfast room yogurt would stay here again parking lot an upgrade stayed one night up to date business trip pool and hot tub free parking balconies arrows hie
Reviewed August 3, 2016

Things sometimes go wrong with your hotel stay, and it's OK, unless the hotel's customer service is useless...which happened to us. So perhaps wait until this hotel has finished it's renos and training before staying here.

When checking in we were a little irritated that the lady at the front desk seemed a little confused and inexperienced, but we laughed it off. Later the evening we realized our room is boiling hot & stuffy since the aircon did not seem to work - we called the front desk and they kept giving us advice. Around 11 PM we realized that nothing was working so they brought us a fan,but we still had a sleepless night in a stuffy&hot room.

The next morning their maintenance came up & checked, but said it might still take a few hours to cool down. But the front desk told us they're keeping a room for us in case. When we got back that evening the room was still boiling, and the front desk informed us that the hotel is fully booked. They also informed us that no manager would be around until after the long weekend. What followed was several frustrating conversations with front desk staff that were unhelpful, uncomfortable and unprofessional. We stayed in the boiling room, and had to buy earplugs so that we could sleep with the noise from leaving the balcony door open.

We were able to move to one of the newly renovated rooms the next day. Which would have been the end of it, if it were not for the renovations going on on the floor below us from 8AM - 5:30PM on a Sunday & public holiday on the Monday.

All in all an unpleasant stay. Staff were friendly but clearly need some training. Even when their renos is sorted out, we won't be staying here again.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
KentM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2016

Dear happyann3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your most recent stay with us.

I can empathize with your situation and I would like to apologize on behalf of my colleagues for not handling the issues you came across in a prompt and professional manner. I have shared your feedback with my Management team and I will make sure that further training steps will be taken to ensure excellent Customer Service.

Once our renovations are completed I would love to invite you back and provide you with an excellent stay that you deserve.

Should you have any further questions I could assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Regards,

Maria Cozarescu
gm@hiexedmonton.com
780-423-2450

Reviewed July 14, 2016

I stay at this property often for business, as it is well-located and comfortable. The staff are always friendly and the facility itself is getting better through recent renovations.

It is really the staff that make this place worthwhile. Just one example - on my last stay i accidentally dropped one of my favourite earrings in the bathroom sink, and it went past the stopper right down the drain! I called the front desk. They let me know that their maintenance personnel were done for the day 30 min ago, but would check to see if they could call someone back. A great guy showed up 30 min after his shift to pull the sink apart and retrieve my earring! Front desk called to follow up and check on the situation. All in all, above and beyond, and why I keep coming back to this property. I hope the maintenance guy gets an 'employee of the month' or something...he really deserves it.

Even if you don't drop items down the sink and need them retrieved, this hotel is comfortable and well-located with professional and friendly staff and a decent-sized breakfast room (with even more friendly staff attending to it). Good hotel for downtown Edmonton.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
FOM-HIEX-Edmonton, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2016

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear how our staff went above and beyond! It's something our staff takes great pride in when it comes to customer service! We will make sure the individual receives recognition for going above and beyond!

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 13, 2016

This was going to be a good review until I checked my VISA and saw a charge for $43.73. I called and spoke to a supervisor who told me that the charge is not a charge. Didn't appreciate a supervisor arguing with me. If VISA says I owe them money then it's a charge! She said it was as damage deposit. There was no mention of this when I checked in and there was no mention of this charge on my receipt when I checked out. I will not do business with a place that thinks it's ok to quietly charge customers. If money is that tight then raise your prices. I have cancelled my IHG membership, ripped up the gift certificate I received when checking in, deleted the app from my phone and filed an official complaint. I will stay at a different hotel next time.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
FOM-HIEX-Edmonton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2016

Dear mrwillis2016,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Please be informed that it is a common Hotels procedure to secure method of payment for the room charge and damage deposit upon check-in. Upon check-out the damage deposit gets released and the only charge showing on your card would be the room and taxes.
We will take this feedback as an opportunity to re-train our Front Desk Agents to inform every Guest of this policy upon check-in.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Maria Cozarescu

Reviewed July 10, 2016

I had to use up some IHG points that were about to expire so I booked a night at HI Express when I came back to see family. Ample (paid) parking is available out on a lot that is secured for guests. Since I redeemed points, it was included as part of the redemption program.

We arrived late and was met by friendly and helpful front desk clerk who quickly checked us in and registered our vehicle. Free wifi. Our room was comfortable and clean, renovated in contemporary decor. Beds were comfy and we had a good night sleep. In the morning, we took advantage of the free hot breakfast that included tea/coffee/juice, sausage, eggs, muffins, cinnamon rolls etc.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
FOM-HIEX-Edmonton, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2016

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your loyalty as an IHG® Rewards Club Member. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. A positive guest experience is something our staff takes great pride in! We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed July 8, 2016

I had the best customer service experience at this property in all my years of travel, both international and in the U.S. Frances greeted us warmly upon arrival via Uber even in our tousled state. Check in was a breeze and then Frances enlisted Estere Westmaas, the supervisor, to assist me with our friend's reservation prior to their arrival. I wanted to use my IHG points for their stay, but the IHG app would not comply. After checking the computer, Estere found there was not availability for July 1st, Canada Day, but she cheerfully changed the payment from their credit card to my points for the other 2 nights. They were so surprised and please when they checked in to find the bill was significantly less. The team at the HIE in Edmonton did everything to facilitate my requested result regardless of the obstacles.

Everytime we passed staff in the hallways, lobby or breakfast room, we were greeted, requests were granted and directions/suggestions were furnished. Everyone was a concierge, no matter the question. Canadians are amazing!!

The most wonderful surprise awaited us one morning as we were invited to the penthouse room to view the Canada Day fireworks that evening, July 1st. Refreshments were served and chairs set out for us to enjoy several sets of fireworks visible from the huge windows. This was an unexpected highlight of our stay to see the semifinal Women's World Cup game before traveling on Via Rail to Vancouver for the final match. Kudos to John Thomas, the general manager, for an immaculate hotel, comfortable rooms with a balcony serenaded by bagpipers rehearsing for the Canada Day parade and unparalleled staff like Frances and Estere.

Room tip: West side has a river view, east facing rooms have nice city view. Our room was next to the ice machine & elevator, perfect for our group.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your review! It is great to hear that even though you had a bumpy start to your stay, the team was able to handle it quickly and effectively to correct the issues. Canada Day Fire Works are always a sight to enjoy in Edmonton! I am happy to hear opening up the Penthouse was a great success last year, as we did it again this year! It is wonderful to read that even though a year has past our team provided great service you still recall today! Thank you again for a this great review!

Look forward to your return in the future!