“Very authentic northern chinese dim sum”
Review of Shanghai 456

Shanghai 456
Ranked #1,381 of 2,531 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 19 June 2016

This is a small family run restaurant.
it used to be in downtown by the municipal airport which was very hard to find
The pot sticker is one of the best dishes with crispy burnt bottom
The fried bun(served with carnation milk) on the side dish is also my favorite
the xiao long pao can be picked up by chopsticks at the tip,without spillage of any inside contents..
We went there for diner today,and one of the best dish was the duck(fried) not very oily,a little bit on the salty side.It goes along with white buns which evens out the salty taste in your palate
The restaurant is very steady with lots of chinese customers
Good food!!

Reviewed 24 April 2016

A small family business has been moving around the city Edmonton many time in the past 20 years and now the location is in the industry area West End on this city. This is my first time here but our friends have been few times in the past.
The restaurant in a small one with around 10 tables and I only see two large one can hold up to eight customers at max. With the rest at four, chair holding ones.
Sunday lunchtime, the business all parked with Chinese as long you walk through the door my instance felling this place must be Authentic! :)
Xiao long pao: Each basket contains six of the most plump, juicy, delicious soup filled dumplings you will find in the city. I have to be honest they taste better than the one we had in shanghai (China)
Wor tip: Pan-fried beef dumplings. It was piping hot juice inside and crispy skin outside
Pan Fry buns: special made on Sunday Dish only, they are A large buns filing with juice and beef.
- Sesame balls - crunchy outside with a light sweet back sesame seed paste dessert, these are from the owner as complementary for all customers.
Beside all great taste listing above, we also have Snow tips with pork belly (to oily for me)
Damdam noodle: not good and salty.
I find out the good food in this place are Dumplings, the rest of others may not be in my favors, I will not mind to be back and only for all Dumplings but not other dishes.

Reviewed 19 March 2016

Flavourful, delicious food!!! The soup dumplings or Xiaolongbao are amazing!! Saturday's they have different style pan fried dumplings which are a must! Great noodle dishes including their rice noodle with bamboo shoots! No point in going to the restaurant if you are not willing to be adventurous with the food or else you'll miss out on some amazing dishes!

Reviewed 14 February 2016

We didn't need any reason to go out for lunch but it was Chinese New Year after all. Having tried Cantonese cuisine all this time, this was Shanghai cuisine. Just like not all Chinese food are the same, it's the regional cooking that keeps it unique. I had planned on trying the dim sum choices that I've never had before but there was a consensus that the group orders a few selections to try it instead of ordering individually. Of course the house pork buns (ie. XLB) were squirty having the broth in them which takes getting used to and one might as well not wear white because if its not you getting sprayed on it's your fellow diners. The meat wasn't spectacular as it tasted bland to me BUT the Pan Fried Dumplings made up for it. These squirty as well but the meat was wonderfully tasty. We also had Onion Cake with chives in them which were good. We started out with the Hot and Sour soup for our vegetarian fellow diner and I wish I had gotten more servings as there was more than half left in the big bowl. We ordered noodles (again vegetarian and meat kind). There was also orders of string beans (veggie only and i think ones with pork shaving or floss?). Both noodles and string beans were ok only. Finally there was a Salt & Pepper pork cutlets which were too salty for my taste even then I had to mix them with the onions and green peppers to subdue the saltiness. There was also ginger beef ordered but that's like a side dish to me (those ginger slices in sushi to cleanse your palate). This dining trip didn't excite me as much as I really wanted to order my own dishes. Next time I will definitely do that instead so for now I'm just going to give this a 'ok'. By the way they only take cash so if you want to pay by debit or credit card, you are out of luck.

Reviewed 9 January 2016

Dropped in for lunch. The lunch special Savoury Peanut soup was delicious as were the Shanghai noodles. $20 for two with tip was a bargain. Ask to see the English AND ask to have the menu written in Chinese explained. It's different and contains great authentic offerings - eggplant, pork belly with green pea tips, and other interesting offerings. I'm definitely going back before this place gets fully discovered.