“Good Southern Cooking”
Review of Louisiana Purchase

Louisiana Purchase
Reserve with OpenTable
Louisiana Purchase is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 2,527 Restaurants in Edmonton
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Oliver
Cross street: 104 - Avenue
Transit: Adjacent to main bus routes.
Reviewed 30 August 2017

My husband and I have been to Louisiana Purchase a few times. I love the food but noticed a difference in service at my visit. The staff was still very friendly and pleasant but I missed the gentleman who used to walk around and make sure everyone was enjoying themselves. I later learned there was a change in ownership. All the appetizers are delicious but the servings are very small. I always order the Southern Fried Chicken meal. I've never been disappointed. My husband ordered Chicken and Waffles. Not something I would order but he really enjoyed it. I recommend making a reservation on the weekends.

1  Thank Diane B

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

My husband took me there for my birthday as neither of us had been before and we were pleasantly surprised.
The waitress was kind and super helpful describing dishes and recommending favourites.
We ended up getting crab cakes, fried green tomatoes, a breaded chicken dish and shrimp.
Everything was wonderfully spiced, moist and cooked perfectly.
I would advise going with a group and getting a little bit of everything.

1  Thank Ashley T
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

This place is Great! Delicious food and the service was friendly! Me and my boyfriend shared an alligator appetizer, and i had the seafood jambalya and it was delicious! Would come back again!

1  Thank KelseyJaylyn
Reviewed 7 August 2017

My husband and I went to Louisiana Purchase for our anniversary on Aug. 5. We had been there before and quite enjoyed our meals then, so we decided to go again for this anniversary. We had been to New Orleans in December and wanted to have another taste of Louisiana cuisine. Once again, we were not disappointed. Our meals were delicious and the service was excellent.
We started with the shrimp bisque. I don’t like shrimp, but this was great! For his entrée, my husband had the Steamboat Jambalaya which consisted of crab, shrimp, mussels, whitefish, spicy sausage, vegetables served with creole sauce, & hush puppies over rice, all of which he quite enjoyed; the ingredients were fresh, it was sufficiently spicy for his taste, and the plate was heaping. I had the Cherry-Cola Barbeque Ribs - baby back ribs with red cabbage slaw, and mashed potatoes – also heaping. (This dish is normally served with sweet potato fries but I’m allergic to corn & corn products and since the fries are exposed to cornmeal, our server suggested mashed potatoes instead.) I enjoyed every bite; it was one of those meals you’re sorry to finish because it’s so good. And there was so much food, that we ended up taking half home for dinner the next day. We ended with Bananas Foster and, because it was our anniversary, the restaurant included a little dish with strawberries, blueberries, a custardy cream, & a sparkler - a nice touch. The Bananas Foster were scrumptious – just as good as the ones we had in NOLA. We had coffee as well – decaf for me and Café du Monde (the classic New Orleans coffee with chicory) for my husband – also very nice.
Because we were in New Orleans just a few months ago, we can attest to the fact that our meals were absolutely authentic in addition to being yummy. We heartily recommend Louisiana Purchase for anyone looking for great food, excellent service, and congenial surroundings!

1  Thank Kittyhawk52
Reviewed 7 August 2017

I have been an occasional patron of this restaurant since it opened in 1989, and have been saddened since the latest owners group have taken over. The food and service used to be excellent. Even when visiting with larger parties for Special Events, and had a fabulous time and were treated very well by the former staff and owner for my Birthday last Aug. I tried to book a table this year and were informed that they would require a credit card to book and would be charging $10 per spot (10 people), all be it it would be applied to our bill the night of. But, I was disgusted that they thought I would be happy to be a patron and feel like celebrating a Birthday with them.
I think they may have forgotten that they are in the service industry. I contemplated not reviewing them but after reading reviews over several sights I am disappointed at what is happening to this long standing Edmonton institution, in regards to service and food quality, and I will no longer recommend them to my visiting clients.